GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Lexus F Sport Springs + 20"mrr

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-13, 11:19 AM
Lexo11
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexus F Sport Springs + 20"mrr

Tried searching the forums but didn't find anything relevant to my question..

Recently I purchased 20 MRR wheels as well as the Lexus F sport springs to get that proper fit.

1) My question is are the springs needed to have the proper fitment or can I still use my stock Lexus springs? from what I saw on the forums with the stock springs the vehicle looks a bit too high. any recommendations?

2) Now, installing the springs will I also need to install coils or camber kit or the springs itself should do the trick. (just a regular daily driver)

3) once I have the springs installed with the wheels will I need a new alignment?

4) What things should I look out for? will the tire wear evenly with only the Lexus F sport springs? what things should I look out for? I'm seeing people are installing camber kits and coils whats the difference with just installing springs by itself.

first timer mounting on wheels.. thanks in advance!
Old 07-05-13, 11:26 AM
TexasTaco
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just springs and alignment
Old 07-07-13, 03:38 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexo11
Tried searching the forums but didn't find anything relevant to my question..

Recently I purchased 20 MRR wheels as well as the Lexus F sport springs to get that proper fit.

1) My question is are the springs needed to have the proper fitment or can I still use my stock Lexus springs? from what I saw on the forums with the stock springs the vehicle looks a bit too high. any recommendations?

2) Now, installing the springs will I also need to install coils or camber kit or the springs itself should do the trick. (just a regular daily driver)

3) once I have the springs installed with the wheels will I need a new alignment?

4) What things should I look out for? will the tire wear evenly with only the Lexus F sport springs? what things should I look out for? I'm seeing people are installing camber kits and coils whats the difference with just installing springs by itself.

first timer mounting on wheels.. thanks in advance!
It's personal preference on what's "proper fitment" to you.

Springs and coils do not go together sir. You either get the coilover set, or springs. Camber kit is also personal preference, F-Sport springs are a mild drop so I'm sure it's okay to go without it, but you get better tire wear results with Camber kits in general.

Even in factory setting/form, our cars do not wear out the tires evenly. If you do indeed want that, definitely get a camber kit

Good luck brotha! I'm in the market for some wheels soon too haha.
Old 07-10-13, 04:17 PM
3GSFlexes
Driver School Candidate

Put up some pics so I can see what the car sits with the F- Sport Springs. I'm currently in the process of making up my mind for the wheel setup for next year. But I want the suspension done fairly soon.
Old 07-12-13, 12:33 AM
Lexo11
Rookie

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
It's personal preference on what's "proper fitment" to you.

Springs and coils do not go together sir. You either get the coilover set, or springs. Camber kit is also personal preference, F-Sport springs are a mild drop so I'm sure it's okay to go without it, but you get better tire wear results with Camber kits in general.

Even in factory setting/form, our cars do not wear out the tires evenly. If you do indeed want that, definitely get a camber kit

Good luck brotha! I'm in the market for some wheels soon too haha.
Very informative, thank you!

Again, I don't want too much of a drop to avoid rubbing or scraping that's why I asked if any additional parts were needed. My only concern is for the tires to wear properly and to still have somewhat of that smooth Lexus driving feel. Btw, good luck with the future purchase!!
Old 07-12-13, 12:37 AM
Lexo11
Rookie

Originally Posted by 3GSFlexes
Put up some pics so I can see what the car sits with the F- Sport Springs. I'm currently in the process of making up my mind for the wheel setup for next year. But I want the suspension done fairly soon.
haha, I purchased the wheels and springs a month ago and their still in their original boxes not even opened! eventually I'll get to it just been busy. Just thinking about how hard of a job is it to replace springs and if I should take it to the dealer. But once I mount the wheels on and have the springs installed I'll post picks. You can also search the forums to see the comparison of the f-sport springs.
Old 07-13-13, 09:56 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Very informative, thank you!

Again, I don't want too much of a drop to avoid rubbing or scraping that's why I asked if any additional parts were needed. My only concern is for the tires to wear properly and to still have somewhat of that smooth Lexus driving feel. Btw, good luck with the future purchase!!
It will wear SLIGHTLY more with F-sport springs, get an alignment on the front readjusted and hopefully you should be good . It shouldn't be so bad that you will go bald in an oil change or so haha... Have your tires rotated often and frequently so that it wears out more evenly.

Question: Why not just go coilovers? How much did you spend on the F-Sport springs?

I say coilovers because you can get really close to same comfort level to stock struts, yet you get the adjustability in dampening and height adjustments down to a tee.

haha, I purchased the wheels and springs a month ago and their still in their original boxes not even opened! eventually I'll get to it just been busy. Just thinking about how hard of a job is it to replace springs and if I should take it to the dealer. But once I mount the wheels on and have the springs installed I'll post picks. You can also search the forums to see the comparison of the f-sport springs.
If you decide to DIY it, it's not very hard, have the tools ready..... Definitely have a breaker bar, Torque wrench (look up how much TQ each bolt should have and TQ to spec so you don't strip/break bolts, that's a huge PITA). Have good strong socket set for the job (don't use cheap sockets.... They'll only waste your time and effort, sometimes stripping or breaking bolts). Definitely have spring compressors (can be rented at your local autozone/advanced auto parts).... I believe that's it... Have fun!

P.S. It should take a whole day for a amateur.... It took me a whole day to replace my struts (alone) with coilover sleeves when I was being cheap on my 96 Honda Civic hatchback.
Old 07-15-13, 01:11 AM
Lexo11
Rookie

It will wear SLIGHTLY more with F-sport springs, get an alignment on the front readjusted and hopefully you should be good . It shouldn't be so bad that you will go bald in an oil change or so haha... Have your tires rotated often and frequently so that it wears out more evenly.

Question: Why not just go coilovers? How much did you spend on the F-Sport springs?

I say coilovers because you can get really close to same comfort level to stock struts, yet you get the adjustability in dampening and height adjustments down to a tee.

If you decide to DIY it, it's not very hard, have the tools ready..... Definitely have a breaker bar, Torque wrench (look up how much TQ each bolt should have and TQ to spec so you don't strip/break bolts, that's a huge PITA). Have good strong socket set for the job (don't use cheap sockets.... They'll only waste your time and effort, sometimes stripping or breaking bolts). Definitely have spring compressors (can be rented at your local autozone/advanced auto parts).... I believe that's it... Have fun!

P.S. It should take a whole day for a amateur.... It took me a whole day to replace my struts (alone) with coilover sleeves when I was being cheap on my 96 Honda Civic hatchback.

I just assumed the springs would be cheaper and easier to install compared to the coilovers. I spent a little over $300 for the F-Sport springs. From the description you gave on installing the springs myself I think I'm just going to have a professional do it.

What is the difference between the two? also I see people sometimes install both, is that needed/ recommended or is it more of a preference thing.
Old 07-15-13, 11:17 AM
XxGoKoUxX

I just assumed the springs would be cheaper and easier to install compared to the coilovers. I spent a little over $300 for the F-Sport springs. From the description you gave on installing the springs myself I think I'm just going to have a professional do it.

What is the difference between the two? also I see people sometimes install both, is that needed/ recommended or is it more of a preference thing.
$300 isn't bad, it's the price every pays for a mild drop w/ springs anyways. If you don't feel comfortable with doing it, I'd def get a shop to do it.... Price-wise? IDK how much you should spend, I've always either DIY my installations or more recently, have a shop do straight air on the car.

Make sure the professional KNOWS that the height ride sensor must be in the correct position. This is a very common case and your AFS light will go off. (Preventative measures so there isn't a second trip):

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-nf210s-2.html

You can't install both, Coilovers are Coilovers, Springs are springs

Coilovers consist of both adjustable springs and adjustable struts, they're built to last longer on a drop than OEM struts.

Springs are just that, springs only, that go over your OEM or SOME aftermarket struts. Lowering springs are shorter, therefore giving you the mild drop on your car.

There's a reason why coilovers cost $500-700 more than your typical lowering springs.

Hope that clarifies things
Old 07-28-13, 11:31 AM
Lexo11
Rookie

I was also told the rear seats need to be removed to get access to the springs.. is it required to removed the rear seats?
Old 07-28-13, 12:37 PM
TexasTaco
Driver

No but your trunk carpet will have to be accessed to get to the upper rear shock mounts.

I got a set of oem shocks and f sport springs already mounted for sale if any of y'all are interested.. Check the for sale sectio.
Old 07-28-13, 02:44 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

I have stock suspension and mrr's, which mrr did you end up buying
Old 07-28-13, 03:34 PM
XxGoKoUxX

I was also told the rear seats need to be removed to get access to the springs.. is it required to removed the rear seats?
Who told you that silliness . You don't need to remove the rear seats, Unless you are doing Air susp. and need to drag the remote lines to the front of the car. You just need to remove the carpet lining in the trunk on the two sides (it isn't hard to do either, a few screws here and there and you have instant access).
Old 07-28-13, 03:47 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Who told you that silliness . You don't need to remove the rear seats, Unless you are doing Air susp. and need to drag the remote lines to the front of the car. You just need to remove the carpet lining in the trunk on the two sides (it isn't hard to do either, a few screws here and there and you have instant access).
I did mine without even removing the carpet. I just carefully wedged my hand inside with the ratchet and few min later undone
Old 07-28-13, 05:21 PM
Lexo11
Rookie

Originally Posted by ibidu1
I have stock suspension and mrr's, which mrr did you end up buying

I purchased the 20 Mrr Hr2. How many inch are the wheels you have?

If they are 20" how does it sit with the oem suspension? and also how is the ride quality? With the oem suspension doesn't the car look a little off? meaning just doesn't look like it's sitting right. I saw a pick of same car as mine with the same wheels and size as mine before and after picks and the before picks didn't look right with those wheels.

Quick Reply: Lexus F Sport Springs + 20"mrr