GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Check Engine light/ 02 sensors/ecu problem HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-14, 01:17 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ibidu1
I would take it back to the dealer! It sounds like you have carbon buildup issues. On 2006 GS300's the engines are direct injection. With this design it is more prone to collecting carbon deposits therefore killing your o2 sensor.

The dealer is rebuilding all these engines as good faith, even if your warranty has expired or even mileage. The will rebuild the engine. Goodluck!

BTW there's a sticky on this issue
Just a FYI, this is bad information. A DTC for a oxygen sensor is not because of the carbon misfire issue that Lexus is having. The repair will only be approved if carbon style misfires can be duplicated, and it is not a fix all for other issues.

There's a TSIB on the O2 sensor issue, and there is a VIN break for the ECU replacement requirement. If your VIN is under a certain number, the ECU replacement is required. If not, it can be re flashed. If you don't replace the ECU and its required, you will likely see the DTC return.
Old 01-22-14, 02:24 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by onepointon
Just a FYI, this is bad information. A DTC for a oxygen sensor is not because of the carbon misfire issue that Lexus is having. The repair will only be approved if carbon style misfires can be duplicated, and it is not a fix all for other issues.

There's a TSIB on the O2 sensor issue, and there is a VIN break for the ECU replacement requirement. If your VIN is under a certain number, the ECU replacement is required. If not, it can be re flashed. If you don't replace the ECU and its required, you will likely see the DTC return.
This is correct. I had that TSIB done on my car, they replaced the ECU as well... it's because the new O2 sensor sends different signals or different ranges of voltages to the ECU and the old ECU can't properly interpret them.

I didn't even know I had an O2 sensor problem as I had no codes they just did it because they claimed there was something wrong with it when I had them checking erratic idle way before any of these carbon fixes became available.

By the way, I had an issue with one of the rear O2 sensors which were nearly new from the above TSIB that kept throwing over voltage codes... I even stupidly replaced the sensor since it was the obvious thing to do but it made no difference. In my case, I eventually discovered that the windshield cowl had a part missing that channels water away from the firewall and into the drains and whenever it was wet enough outside and enough water got down there it must have been wetting the harness and causing the intermittant short. After I replaced the cowl with a used ebay deal the problem went away for good. Of course this was also after having lexus do a useless diagnosis that had NOTHING to do with my eventual fix.

Hey it's worth a look right. It might not be the weird thing of my cowl having that piece MISSING (aka broken by previous lexus service and then just put back on and not saying anything about it) but it could just be your windshield drains are completely plugged and backing up water down your firewall so check your drains are clear.

Last edited by BinaryJay; 01-22-14 at 02:28 PM.