GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

***Easy Fix For The Clogged AC Drain***

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-13, 04:21 PM
koreanjry
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would pull the carpet up and wet vac up any existing water. i also left the car int he sun with windows down for a whole day. also drove around with a container of damp rip in my back seat floor... havent had any troubles since the incident
Old 05-29-13, 04:44 PM
tunedis95
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It just took me an hour and a half with the same tools as mentioned above. This was very tricky and not that easy. The pliers just barely fit in there, then I was working with a warm transmission which didn't feel good on the hands. I think I got it though, it was kind of damp and whenever I touched the plug it would start leaking so I believe I got it. I was gonna take a picture but I was pushed for time. With a camera you will definitely see the plug as mentioned.
Old 05-29-13, 08:48 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice work !!!! Thanks for posting this.
Old 05-29-13, 08:48 PM
xman
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Took the seats out today to see how much water was still under the carpets. Although the passenger rear was the only soaking wet spot there was water under the floor on both sides front and back. I probably squeezed out 4 to 5 cups of water. The foam padding under the carpet is like a sponge and would have held this water for a long time. Although the carpets felt dry it was still quite wet underneath. Cleaned down to the metal floor and sprayed clorox disinfectant under the carpet. I will let the carpets and foam dry out completely before reinstalling everything. Also changed out the cabin filter. Hopefully this will solve the water issue and all the problems its caused.

You would think Lexus would cover this even after warranty due to the design flaw that could cause hazardous mold to grow in the car.
Old 06-02-13, 09:34 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

So I went out with a flaslight and 11" pliers but never could find the plug. Does anyone have a pic they could post?
Old 06-02-13, 11:44 AM
xman
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is only one plug above the tranny just about 4-6 inches from where the firewall slopes to accommodate the bell housing. You can't really see it well from with just a flash light. At the minimum you will need a small mirror that you can adjust to view the area. The best is a flexible inspection camera as they have a light at the tip. That's what I used. Others have found success with mirrors. Also 90 or 45 degree tip needle nose pliers work best as the space is tight. Harbor freight tools have both items for under 100 dollars. Good luck!
Old 06-02-13, 01:22 PM
LexToy3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great post... had to deal with the dealer for mine after it started to flood, was in warranty o that was not a problem but it was in FL around the time Jacksonville was flooding and the dealer thought it was due to that. Luckily for me I had originally made the complaint in MO before the trip down.
The following users liked this post:
Mth666 (01-08-22)
Old 06-05-13, 05:55 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Got that bad boy

***Easy Fix For The Clogged AC Drain***-dsc00262a.jpg

What a pain to get
The following users liked this post:
Bizzoco (01-23-21)
Old 08-18-13, 09:46 AM
Sean87Supr
Driver School Candidate

Old post I know but I wanted to add that between this thread and another https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...s-clogged.html on the forum, and particularly this post:

Originally Posted by kamileon88
the dash doesnt have to come out. if you want to save yourself $$$ go to a autoshop. tell them you need to remove a grommet that is above the torque converter. You can remove it by removing the intake manifold and fishing it out with your hand. Or raise the car in the air and snake your hand and arm on the drivers side of transmission to pull out the nipple. Then remove all your rubber body plugs from under the car and watch the water pure out. Drive home with the plugs out, buy a wet vac. unbolt the front seats and remove them from car. Vacuum the carpet and spray with lysol. Remove floormats and dry separately in the sun. Take car out to the sun and fully blast the heat with windows all closed and moonroof tilted for hour or two ( take keys out, drivers window down, push lock on doors and auto close drivers window) When your satisfied with results install body plugs.
I was able to do this without the inspection camera. The drain is pretty much above the transmission linkage in my 06 AWD. I could feel it with my fingertips when my palm was towards the transmission I could not with my palm towards the transmission tunnel, I could not get my hand deep enough in. I got a small screwdriver up there and dislodged the grommet/drain getting water all over the place. I have the seats out now, the wife is vacuuming the carpet and I will get out and dry and disinfect the carpet and padding completely when she is done. The drain itself took me about half an hour to find and dislodge - the rest I am taking my time to do so I expect it to take a while.
Old 08-18-13, 10:55 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

A little tip for you guys with wet floors. Vacuum as much water as you can out, then with the car running and shut all the windows with the heater turned all the way up, open your sunroof to the top position vent with the panel open. Switch the blower mode to floor. If you have floormats remove them. Let the car runs like this for about 20 min.

When come back to your car, open all the windows and let the humidity air out. At this point the carpets should be dry and warm to the touch.
Old 08-19-13, 06:02 AM
Sean87Supr
Driver School Candidate

I got about a gallon of water from the padding - most from the underside. I stuck the dehumidifier in the car overnight and it sucked out still another 2/3 gallon. The carpet is still damp nearest to the transmission tunnel - probably because of the way it is lifted. The padding is drying elsewhere. I am going to say that the 20 minutes of heat to the floor would not have worked in my case.
Old 09-12-13, 03:48 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, I almost cannot believe that they designed the car this way - since we own two 06 Gs's I will be doing this regardless of wether it actually gets wet - they should have been removing these plugs at no charge since day one on every car that came in for service - I bet once the techs got a little practice, they could do it in minutes - especially if the car is already in the air for an oil change.
Old 11-12-14, 08:42 AM
XFactor7
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm looking at a 2007 3GS for sale at a local dealership. I checked the service history and found that this was done at 30k miles in 2011: RELOCATE TRANSMISSION TO CLEAN OUT AC DRAIN PLUG AND HOSE - CUSTOMER STATES THERE IS WATER ON THE FLOOR MATS - 31169 DRAIN CLOGED FOR AC 320 REMOVE AND CLEAN OUT DRAIN GROMET.

Does anyone know if this a permanent fix or will the problem reappear again? It seems to me like they just cleaned the grommet and it could be clogged again..
Old 11-14-14, 01:15 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Could you not just do this by feel with the pliers since you know approximately where it is going to be just rub the tip of the pliers along the surface around the area until you hit it and then jam it in and yank?
Old 06-05-16, 07:44 PM
acegunter
Driver School Candidate

I just did remove this today. Used the inspection camera and needle Pliers. Took 10 minutes after putting the car on floor jacks.. Thanks xman..

Originally Posted by xman
Well like many other owners I recently developed wet carpets in the back and damp carpets up front. After searching the forums I saw how common the problem was and TSB's that addressed the issue. Although I could drop the tranny and gain access to the plug as posted in the DIY by another member it seemed as if there was a better way. Well this is what I did and it took all of 20 mins start to finish with no unbolting of the exhaust, tranny or drive shaft.

After driving the car up on ramps I removed the black plastic cover from under the tranny held by 4 screws and 2 plastic nuts. Then used a lighted inspection camera with a flex head to see the plug. I purchased the camera from Harbor Freight Tools for 80 bucks. Next I used 11 inch long needle nose pliers with a right angle tip. With my left hand I snaked the flex tip camera up and over the tranny from the pass side just above the shift linkage. Then with my right hand I was able to get my arm up between the suspension and catalytic converter with the pliers. Keeping the camera focused on the plug I was able to guide my pliers to the plug and remove it.

I let the car run for 10 mins with the windows up and the AC on high to confirm that water was now coming from the drain. With my car long out of warranty this would have been an out of pocket expense. Just for safe measure I am going to pull the rear seat bottom and the front seats to remove the carpet. This allow me to clean the carpet thoroughly and spray lysol underneath to kill any possible mold spores as I am not sure how long the water had been there.

Hopefully this will help others. SInce its doesn't take very long to complete I would recommend others with 2006-2007 GS or IS cars do it as preventative maintenance. It can save alot of headaches and potential dangerous mold from forming in the carpets. With the factory mats covered with rubber underneath this can go undetected for quite a while.

Quick Reply: ***Easy Fix For The Clogged AC Drain***