Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - Third Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Vibration Question

Old 05-20-13, 09:57 AM   #1
BPlakGS300
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Question Vibration Question

I recently obtained a 06 GS300 Non AWD. There seems to be a vibration in the seat at 75-80 MPH after you let off the gas. Is that Drive shaft or Tire Balance problem?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
BPlakGS300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-13, 10:24 AM   #2
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (1)

Possibly a wheel balance issue, I would start off by rotating and balancing all the wheels. When on the balance machine I would inspect all the wheels to make sure no bends or whobbles are in them.

Also are you lowered?
ibidu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-13, 10:30 AM   #3
BPlakGS300
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibidu1 View Post
Possibly a wheel balance issue, I would start off by rotating and balancing all the wheels. When on the balance machine I would inspect all the wheels to make sure no bends or whobbles are in them.

Also are you lowered?
No, all bone stock. The tires are also directional. Ive also read on here the type of balancer also matters?
Old 05-20-13, 11:32 AM   #4
Diesel350
Lead Lap

It's either the tires or the rims most likely. As stated go get the wheels balanced to see if it gets rid of the problem. If not take it back to them and see if they can locate a bend in the rim or a low spot on the tires. Sometimes when a car sits on a lot for a very long time they develop low spots in the tires. You may need to take it to a shop that specializes in fixing tire/rim issues if the wheel balance does not fix the issue.
Old 05-20-13, 11:56 AM   #5
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlakGS300 View Post
No, all bone stock. The tires are also directional. Ive also read on here the type of balancer also matters?
Your talking about road force balancing maybe? That is not needed if the tire tech knows what he is doing.
ibidu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-13, 12:32 PM   #6
BPlakGS300
Driver School Candidate

Ok thanks guys, Ill keep you posted.
Old 05-20-13, 07:48 PM   #7
KJSmitty
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlakGS300 View Post
I recently obtained a 06 GS300 Non AWD. There seems to be a vibration in the seat at 75-80 MPH after you let off the gas. Is that Drive shaft or Tire Balance problem?
BPlak,
The way I read/comprehend your post is your car is smooth until you let off the gas? As in at 75-80 cruising down the road its smooth yet the moment you take your foot off the gas the vibration begins?

If my questions above properly reflect your issue then wheel balance is probably not your source of the vibration. Rotation and balance is a quick and relative easy diagnostic step but if smooth to begin with you could just be wasting your money. More likely is transmission, driveshaft or axle shaft/CV joint issue.

I will cross my fingers its the tires yet if its the way you describe it, you probably have something more $$ to deal with..

Let us know
KJSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-13, 09:01 PM   #8
BPlakGS300
Driver School Candidate

Post That is correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post
BPlak,
The way I read/comprehend your post is your car is smooth until you let off the gas? As in at 75-80 cruising down the road its smooth yet the moment you take your foot off the gas the vibration begins?

If my questions above properly reflect your issue then wheel balance is probably not your source of the vibration. Rotation and balance is a quick and relative easy diagnostic step but if smooth to begin with you could just be wasting your money. More likely is transmission, driveshaft or axle shaft/CV joint issue.

I will cross my fingers its the tires yet if its the way you describe it, you probably have something more $$ to deal with..

Let us know
That is correct. The way it feels doesn't seem like a tire balance issue, but with a car this new anything is possible with 40 k on the clock. Im crossing my fingers its not the rear differential about to let go. Im not real certain what it could be at this point, but got to start somewhere.
Old 05-20-13, 09:01 PM