GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Jumped a curb and new noises

Old 04-09-13, 11:36 AM
duggy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jumped a curb and new noises

I was driving in an unfamiliar area and was tired and jumped a curb on the driver side at ~30MPH. Both wheels went over the curb but I immediately corrected and got her back on the road.

The wheels have some curb marks and I had to get the tires re-balanced which solved some of the vibrations at speed, but I do notice that when I am on the freeway going about 60MPH and on a right curve on the freeway I hear an audible roaring noise. When I return the wheel to straight the noise goes away immediately.

The sound is reminiscent of driving over a grated bridge where the tires will roar.

I also need new shocks. I want the stock Lexus feel from when I first purchased the car. What are the suggested shocks for the stock Lexus feel, but maybe cheaper? I'm not even sure how much the stock Lexus shocks go for each.
Old 04-09-13, 02:11 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

So let me get this straight, you only hear the noise when then wheel is turned slightly. Sound like you may have messed up a wheel bearing
Old 04-09-13, 02:33 PM
duggy
Rookie

Originally Posted by ibidu1
So let me get this straight, you only hear the noise when then wheel is turned slightly. Sound like you may have messed up a wheel bearing
Right. Are the wheel bearings a part of the hub and rotor? I can pop the car on a jack today and check for play at 3 & 9 and 12 & 6 to see if there is any play.

A how-to on this would be very useful if there is one. I wouldn't know where to start searching.
Old 04-10-13, 11:37 AM
duggy
Rookie

Does anybody have a how-to on how to replace the wheel bearing?
Old 04-10-13, 01:09 PM
morganc
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Whether its AWD or RWD, you are lucky because the hubs are one-piece bolt on units. You will need a ball-joint press kit (you need to separate the steering knuckle and possibly the upper control arm) and the axle spindle socket (if it's AWD). This is usually around a 36MM socket. If you've never done front-end work which involves separating ball joints before, then I'd recommend taking it to a shop.

When you're in there, do the shocks. OEM struts are decent for these cars. As much as most people here are about suuping these cars up, you'll be the safest and with less headaches if you stay stock.
Old 04-10-13, 01:39 PM
duggy
Rookie

Originally Posted by morganc
Whether its AWD or RWD, you are lucky because the hubs are one-piece bolt on units. You will need a ball-joint press kit (you need to separate the steering knuckle and possibly the upper control arm) and the axle spindle socket (if it's AWD). This is usually around a 36MM socket. If you've never done front-end work which involves separating ball joints before, then I'd recommend taking it to a shop.

When you're in there, do the shocks. OEM struts are decent for these cars. As much as most people here are about suuping these cars up, you'll be the safest and with less headaches if you stay stock.
Mine is a RWD. A BFH on the upper and lower control arms typically separate the ball joints after you loosen the nuts, unless you are suggesting I need to replace the ball joints once I get them out, which is why I would see you need the press kit for.

Is the wheel bearing/seal one piece with the hub, or can it be replaced?
Old 04-10-13, 01:43 PM
duggy
Rookie

Never mind, just read a bit more and I see that the hub is ~$200, probably not worth the effort for me to try and press the bearings out. The bolt-on hub seems pretty straight forward. I will check the bearings for play and do a write-up of my install.
Old 04-10-13, 05:30 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by duggy
Never mind, just read a bit more and I see that the hub is ~$200, probably not worth the effort for me to try and press the bearings out. The bolt-on hub seems pretty straight forward. I will check the bearings for play and do a write-up of my install.
Ya, it's easier to buy the bearings already pressed into the hubs. When buying a new hub make sure to buy oem or a high quality aftermarket like timken. If you use cheap wheel bearings they will not last a long time.

On a RWD the install is easy, if you have somewhat experience. You can look on youtube, and install would be the same on most vehicles. You will need to align the car when you're done
Old 04-10-13, 06:48 PM
redb202
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is a RWD. A BFH on the upper and lower control arms typically separate the ball joints after you loosen the nuts, unless you are suggesting I need to replace the ball joints once I get them out, which is why I would see you need the press kit for.

Is the wheel bearing/seal one piece with the hub, or can it be replaced?
LOL!! a BFH fixes a lot of things too!!! haha..
Old 04-11-13, 06:03 AM
duggy
Rookie

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Ya, it's easier to buy the bearings already pressed into the hubs. When buying a new hub make sure to buy oem or a high quality aftermarket like timken. If you use cheap wheel bearings they will not last a long time.

On a RWD the install is easy, if you have somewhat experience. You can look on youtube, and install would be the same on most vehicles. You will need to align the car when you're done
In my experience with my Land Cruiser, the Koyo bearings were of a higher quality than the Timken (although both are OEM). Is this the same story with the GS350s?

I've done a full axle knuckle rebuild on my Land Cruiser which was a 1.5 DAY job. It sucked
Old 04-11-13, 09:47 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

In my experience with my Land Cruiser, the Koyo bearings were of a higher quality than the Timken (although both are OEM). Is this the same story with the GS350s?

I've done a full axle knuckle rebuild on my Land Cruiser which was a 1.5 DAY job. It sucked
Koyo and timken are both top guality aftermarket. But I believe Lexus uses koyo for a lot of there bearings in throughout the car. Aslong as you stay away from the cheap Chinese stuff, I put one on a GMC one time and only lasted 25K miles then it would have off and on noises.
Old 04-11-13, 01:07 PM
charmz
Lead Lap

i run over curbs all the time, no big deal

anyways, before you do anything check to see that the dust shield isnt bent and scraping when turning, i had this on my car, took the wheel off whacked it a few times with a hammer and it went away. i doubt thats the same problem your having after suffering the major trama of a curb though....

Last edited by charmz; 04-11-13 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-11-13, 02:43 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by charmz

anyways, before you do anything check to see that the dust shield isnt bent and scraping when turning, i had this on my car, took the wheel off whacked it a few times with a hammer and it went away. i doubt thats the same problem your having after suffering the major trama of a curb though....
+1 Good Idea! ive had this issue aswell
Old 04-11-13, 03:19 PM
M K S
Lead Lap

Starting at the basics, did you check to make sure the front wheels weren't bent on the inside lip? I've had a very similar noise in a different car and it was caused by bent rims. Good luck!
Old 04-12-13, 05:12 AM
duggy
Rookie

Originally Posted by charmz

Lol, I can run over curbs in my LC (see pic) but no way can I do it on my lexus without harming it. I haven't had any time to pull the wheel off, but am dedicating tomorrow for it. Thanks for the suggestion!