GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

The TRUTH about Reprogramming Smart Keys (FOB)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-13, 06:03 AM
stktrdr2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile The TRUTH about Reprogramming Smart Keys (FOB)

I never expected to loose one of my Smart Keys (FOB), but after 4 years of enjoying my 2007 GS 350 it finally happened. Fortunately, I still had my FOB key master. Knowing I needed a spare, I decided to purchase a used FOB off eBay for $35 making sure the FCC and ID numbers on the back cover matched my master. After reviewing several blogs and calling three different Lexus dealers, to my surprise, all indicated these particular FOBs are specifically designed to be programmed once. Even a few locksmiths I called said it couldn't be done. Nothing could be further from the truth.

The truth is, regardless of what you've read or been told, a used FOB previously programmed to another similar make and model Lexus GS CAN be programmed to work. All you'll need to do is hire a good locksmith equipped with the right equipment, including the software and Hotwire connection, to tap into the Lexus onboard ECU.

After selecting a good locksmith, have the technician reset the car's ECU to accept reprogramming of the used FOB. Note, when calling locksmiths you should first ask them if they have the right software and equipment to tap into the ECU. If they don't take a pass and don't spend the time listening to their stories that it won't work or only dealers can do reprogramming etc. This was a learning for me and will likely save you time. Because the ECU has been reset and cleansed of all past FOBs, the locksmith will need to program the ECU to re-accept all the FOBs, including the master. The entire process took about 20 minutes. Sixteen of those minutes was spent on the technician's computer software clearing the ECU of past FOBs. The locksmith I used also cut a new key for me that I purchased on eBay for $7. By the way, if buying a used FOB, make sure you replace the battery before the reprogramming process. A weak battery will not allow the ECU to pick up the signal.

Total out of pocket cost = $35 for FOB smart key, $120 for locksmith, $3 for new bat, $7 for new key blade

In short, locksmiths who don't have the right equipment to reprogram your ECU / FOBs for Lexus vehicles will tell you it can't be done. And dealers only want to sell you a new FOB so, they too, will tell you it can't be done. Some locksmiths I called that didn't have the right software or equipment said GS smart keys are designed as 'highly secure' making them non-reprogramable. Whether they are or not is irrelevant. The truth? Your Lexus GS 350 can be programmed to accept a used smart key! This is also true for most, if not all, other Lexus models.

A new FOB smart key with replacement key blade was quoted at $325 at local Lexus dealers. All dealers said programming would be included.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by stktrdr2; 03-23-13 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Editing
The following users liked this post:
JMW (02-12-23)
Old 03-23-13, 07:50 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So you are saying all can be done for $170 while dealer charge double that.... that sound about right.
The following users liked this post:
samsonn25 (11-08-18)
Old 03-23-13, 07:53 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

I bought an ES fob for my GS and it was reprogrammed.
Dealer did it for free. Be nice to your service guy...reap the rewards.
Old 03-23-13, 07:57 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Another suggestion from my locksmith buddy is, just because the serial numbers FCC & ID match does not necessarily mean the locksmith can have it programmed. The right way is to open fob and match the numbers on the corner circuit to the original fob.
Old 03-23-13, 08:36 AM
stktrdr2
Driver School Candidate

Was it new or used? Lexus will program a new FOB for free as part of the cost of the new FOB if you purchase it from them.
Old 03-23-13, 08:54 AM
jamesfg49
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a new fob at cost and the dealership didn't charge to reprogram. Hindsight, it's all about who you know and the hookups you have.
Old 03-23-13, 09:36 AM
onephatguy
Pole Position

Yes, being kind and courteous to your service advisor goes a long way towards discounted or free services.
Old 03-23-13, 05:50 PM
bwl
Driver School Candidate

What's the difference between FOB key master and fob smart key? When i purchased my car, it just came with 2 remotes (smart keys).
Old 03-23-13, 09:45 PM
TGASTT
Driver School Candidate

I just did that .. bought a use smart key on ebay for $37 $6 for a blank key and the locksmith guy charge me $50 to program the smart key and cut my blank key on my 2007 GS350 I called the Lexus Dealer before that and they wont even do it.. they said I need to buy a brand new $300 key to them and they can program it for free...
BTW it only took about 20 minutes to reset the ECU and re program the Smart Key
Old 03-25-13, 08:06 PM
BenES300
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay I really need help.

I recently bought a 2003 Lexus ES300.
The key seemed okay but yesterday I noticed that there was a crack in the plastic. Now when I start the car it feels like the key is going to split apart with the pressure of turning it. I only have one key. It is a master key for the car.

I called the dealership and as usual was quoted some ridiculous prices for a new key ($230+ etc) I asked the gentleman if I bought online, if I could bring in a key for them to cut it for me since I have the electronics (chip etc) in my current key. He said that they do not cut the keys unless I bought it from them. I then asked him how much it would cost to just get the plastic casing for my key since that is what is cracked. He told me it would cost $60+ which I think is a rip off and a half for a simple plastic case.

I have been reading this thread, but am confused as heck. I have never had to deal with keys and so I really do not know what a fob key is, what the various options online for keys are etc etc. I just know that my key has a chip and that there might be a way in which another key with a chip can be programmed to be accepted by my car.

Here is what I found.
http://www.fobkeyless.com/make-model...d-remotes.html

What is the difference between the $49.99 key and the $144.99 key? Is it just that the remote abilities are not there? How does this work? Do I get an uncut key from them and still have to get it cut? They also state that you only need a master key to program the other key. Is that done in the car itself through the keyhole? Or do I need any special equipment to do it?

If I am understanding this right, it would cost me either $50+cost of cutting the key and I have a working key without the remote stuff. Or if I wanted the remote abilities, it would cost me $145+cost of cutting the key and nothing else because I can program the keys by myself.

Am I correct? There was also this other website that I found which is slightly cheaper than the previous one.

http://sparecarkeys.com/index.php?cPath=45_50_88

Lastly, do any of you have any cheap ideas for me to get my case replaced/fixed? The cases online all seem to have the metal part of the key attached which means I would have to get it cut whereas all I want to do is to get the plastic replaced.

Thank you in advance for your help guys.
Old 03-26-13, 03:42 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

yes it can be done. dealers can do it but they charge you for an hour's worth of time when it only takes 10 minutes to reprogram.
Old 03-26-13, 04:23 AM
stktrdr2
Driver School Candidate

When you buy a new Lexus, one of the smart keys will come with a metal tag etched with numbers on it. That number guides a computer programmed laser cutter to cut the shape of a new key. Lexus dealers also refers to that key as the master. References made to FOB and master key are the same for the purpose of this discussion.

By the way, if you loose that tag, don't worry. The same number is located inside the driver's side door frame behind a rubber / plastic round plug near the lock assembly. Locksmiths and the Lexus dealer know how to find it.
Old 03-26-13, 09:16 PM
BenES300
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
yes it can be done. dealers can do it but they charge you for an hour's worth of time when it only takes 10 minutes to reprogram.
Originally Posted by stktrdr2
When you buy a new Lexus, one of the smart keys will come with a metal tag etched with numbers on it. That number guides a computer programmed laser cutter to cut the shape of a new key. Lexus dealers also refers to that key as the master. References made to FOB and master key are the same for the purpose of this discussion.

By the way, if you loose that tag, don't worry. The same number is located inside the driver's side door frame behind a rubber / plastic round plug near the lock assembly. Locksmiths and the Lexus dealer know how to find it.
So basically what I am taking away is that I can buy one of these
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...t+key&_sacat=0
and, switch out the electronics from my broken shell master key and take it to a local locksmith who will cut it for me and then I am good to go? I do not need to do any reprogramming etc since I am moving components from the master key over to the new key?
Old 03-31-13, 12:26 PM
Lexecute
Driver School Candidate

So get this; I didn't know any of this good information from this thread earlier this month when I bought my 2010 GS. The dealer I bought it from only had one FOB for the car, so I knew I needed at least one more. I too went on Ebay and bought one and took it to the local Lexus dealer for programming. Well I got the same story; can't be programmed. But the service adviser was such a "nice guy" that he told me he would accept my Ebay FOB as a warranty return and have a new one programmed for me. He told me to slip the technician 50 bucks and I would be good to go.

I needed to take a shower when I got home but what the hell, it worked for me.
Old 04-01-15, 08:49 AM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry for reviving an old thread but had some questions. I bought a key fob from Sewell parts as well as a key cut to the VIN. I need to program the key fob. This key fob is "brand new" and not used so will I still run into the whole "only a dealer can program it," excuse?

Quick Reply: The TRUTH about Reprogramming Smart Keys (FOB)