GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Squeeling brakes only on V8's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-13, 08:48 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

If it helps that I chime in any deisgno,

2006 GS430.... squeeled a lot, making me want to change my set.

Replaced pads and rotors for the front (Rotora slotted/drolled + EBC Green stuff).

No more squeels as of today.....

Now the O.E. rears are squeeling and I plan to have that replaced soon.
Old 07-22-13, 07:37 PM
Coleycole
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

'08 GS460 here. I installed aftermarket Cross drilled rotors and ceramic pads from tirerack.com Squealing is gone.
Old 07-23-13, 04:12 PM
MizikeTSK
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just cleaned up the pad backing and hardware on my 350 (OEM) then reapplied the anti squeal stuff and no more noise for me. Others have posted this as well. It's worth a try that doesn't really cost anything.
Old 07-23-13, 09:13 PM
XxGoKoUxX

that's a great idea mizike, I may try that for my rear calipers.....

They're squeeling a bit when I stop and I still have half life left according to Lexus.
Old 09-28-13, 05:25 PM
LexLeezard
Driver School Candidate

Default Advice for GS460 replacement front discs / pads

OK -- I just bought a used 2008 GS460 a short while ago, 66,000KM (44,000 miles), Canuck specs, fully checked / updated front to back. Before delivery: new non-OEM rear brakes / pads, and front discs turned, still well within spec. Now, slight pulsation coming from front end after 2.000KM (1,250 miles) of easy driving. Brought to local Toyota dealer today, road test, pulled all wheels, full brake inspection all-'round. Diagnosis: Front discs have some blue but are still within spec, rear discs and pads very good, get prepared to replace full front discs and pads, probably early next spring (most likely timing). Everything else excellent to very good. Any advice on brand / manufacturer for replacement front discs / pads? RSVP / Cheers / Lexleezard

Last edited by LexLeezard; 11-02-13 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-28-13, 10:25 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

This has been my experience:

Stock rotors stock pads = squeeled
After market cross drilled slotted rotor with stock pads = squeeling
Stock rotors with after market pads = squeeling

I am now on stock everything again, the dealer tried to fix it 3 times no help. 4th time and so far no squeeling.
Old 09-28-13, 10:56 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Did you use the OEM shims designo? I have aftermarket rotors+pads, no squeeling.
Old 09-29-13, 06:46 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

A bit of squeezing here. Centric rotors in back with new Lexus pads.

What brands are you guys using to Eliminate the noise? Recommendations?
Old 09-30-13, 07:23 PM
texbanc
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had an 01 GS 430 for 6 years and 180K no squeaking brakes. Now has an 09 GS 460 with 60K and no brake squeaks.

Maybe you have mice.

Tex
Old 10-01-13, 01:42 PM
lex-ative
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't have squealing brakes on my GS430 UNTIL......I ordered some new brake pads from Sewell. Squealing began. Had the rotors cut and turned. The squeal would go away, only to return with a vengeance.

Called up Sewell, and they told me that new update was made to the whole brake set (pads, rotors and shims), to address this problem. Since I had new pads with old rotors, I thought maybe they don't 'play well' together.

However, Sewell recommended I try out the updated shims (They are kind of layered, double shims, one on top of the other, with some carbon style backing) before changing out rotors etc. So far, no more squeal.

Check the shims first. Try to get new shims first and try that (least cost effective option), and go from there. So far, the New shims with New pads on stock 'old' rotors work for me (no squeal).

I was ready to just go totally after market, but I see others are still experiencing squeal even with aftermarket rotors.

Anyway, knocking on wood that the squealing in my case were the shims.......
Old 10-01-13, 02:46 PM
LexmexVIP
Pole Position

Mine squeak so bad and I have a 08' GS350 Still have 60% pad left so I just deal with it.
Old 10-01-13, 05:06 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by LexmexVIP
Mine squeak so bad and I have a 08' GS350 Still have 60% pad left so I just deal with it.
Take the pads out rotate them lube the calipers like crazy, add Brake squeel to the back of each pad. Then scuff the rotors and put it all back together. Would take you 30-1hr
Old 10-05-13, 07:12 PM
LexLeezard
Driver School Candidate

Talking New discs

Just got these in through Amazon ... will report to the list after they are installed on the GS460.
Cheers to all / LexLeezard
Old 02-01-14, 06:39 PM
LexLeezard
Driver School Candidate

Dear all: so, my only update comments are that the new ECB discs and Okebono pads installed 17 Oct 2013 have done extremely well. Over the past ~4 months they have been perfect in every respect -- highly recommended. Now, on to squeals. If the car is cold -- this means sitting overnight when the temp goes down to -25C or colder -- the brakes squeal with just a light application in reverse, backing out of the garage / driveway. But, no squealing takes place after the car is driven a very short distance -- less than 200 meters. I was thinking this may have to do with pulverized / ground-up gravel / dust particles that accumulate and then are "set" overnight on the friction surfaces, and end up producing the squeal first thing in the morning -- but then, they wear off after the first few brake applications. Or maybe it has to do with temperature differentials. That is, after sitting in the cold overnight, the brake discs and pads "stabilize" (after having been heated and cooled, expanding and contracting during regular driving) to a certain random "end of day" configuration. The next day, when brakes are first applied backing out of the garage in the morning, the temporarily "locked-in" configuration sets up the conditions for the "first squeal of the day". Then, after having been driven for a very short distance and warmed up just a bit to essentially "break" the previous configuration, the brakes and pads are "loosened / freed up" so they no longer generate squeal noises. And the next morning, the cycle is repeated when the car has been parked overnight, and the system has once again has "stabilized" overnight after completely cooling off, even "chilled". The physical configuration would logically be slightly different every night, so the squeals each morning would likely sound and even feel slightly different. But this kind of situation could conceivably be enough to set things up for a "squeal" until the brakes are "loosened up" again every morning following initial use. Does this make sense to anyone? Or am I dreaming? RSVP / Cheers / LexLeezard
Attached Thumbnails Squeeling brakes only on V8's?-picture-12.png  
Old 02-01-14, 07:30 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

No it does not make sense and I still have not seen anywhere of a definitive fix for this. How come IS's don't have this issue?

Quick Reply: Squeeling brakes only on V8's?