GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Why are there so many 3GS's at ghetto dealerships?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-13, 08:57 PM
GSmonseur
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are there so many 3GS's at ghetto dealerships?

In perusing classifieds for '08+ GS', I notice that a great many are at fly by night, ghetto dealerships. How are these shady establishments acquiring these beautiful cars?

I also notice a fair number have 2 and 3 owners. Why is it so difficult to find a pristine one owner at a Lexus dealership?
Old 02-04-13, 10:59 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure what your definition of ghetto is. But in most states its rather involved to be a car dealer. As to why they have them? Wholesalers and auctions sell to most anyone, if I had a car lot I could fill it with phantoms if I wanted to.
Old 02-04-13, 11:05 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

because they are dirt cheap at the auctions and less sought after than ISx50s for some reason. Must have to do with size and worse MPG vs. the IS... YES, i know two different cars, but that's exactly how buyers think!

Supply/demand rules!
Old 02-05-13, 12:28 AM
User 121523
Pit Crew

It's because GS owners either (1) appreciate their car take good care of it, or (2) don't appreciate their car and throw it out quickly. To find a pristine GS, you have to go for group (1), but those people tend to keep their car!
Old 02-05-13, 03:42 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GSmonseur
In perusing classifieds for '08+ GS', I notice that a great many are at fly by night, ghetto dealerships. How are these shady establishments acquiring these beautiful cars?

I also notice a fair number have 2 and 3 owners. Why is it so difficult to find a pristine one owner at a Lexus dealership?
the reason they are on those lots is because 9 time out of 10 there is something wrong with them or they have been in an accident. theres a reason why lexus would pass on not taking a car back off lease or not certify one for CPO
Old 02-05-13, 04:13 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
the reason they are on those lots is because 9 time out of 10 there is something wrong with them or they have been in an accident. theres a reason why lexus would pass on not taking a car back off lease or not certify one for CPO
Actually Lexus if these dealers could not sell their inventory they will dump them in the auctions and they pretty much take below book but dealers know anything from lexus or lexus financial is good. Plus the fact that most auction do a full detail inspection on most of their cars before they sell them.

So if you ask a dealer if the car has been wrecked or not most likely he will know the story depends of course on how many units he has.

You could always buy a paint thickness gauge it will show you exactly where any paint work was done to the car. A lot of dealers use this tool
Old 02-05-13, 04:32 AM
ADI$A69
Rookie

i'd be interested in hearing the definition of A "Ghetto" dealership. and if that has anything to do with Buy Here/Pay Here lots, or small corner dealerships, they inventory all makes and models, so the GS would have no more representation than any other brand. you just happen to be looking for a GS so it stands out to you. there is a small dealership in my area that almost exclusively sells BMW, and I'm sure they consider themselves a Ghetto dealership.
Old 02-05-13, 05:02 AM
c-low
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol everyone wants to be hood rich jk jk
Old 02-05-13, 06:13 AM
Gennady7
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, If I understand the original poster correctly, the GS is used to lure customers to dealerships that tend to do business in a shady way. I have a perfect example, I was in the market of buying a 3rd Gen and found quite a few by local dealers. When I came to the dealers lot with cash in hand, I was told that the posted price only reflected financing options. If a 2006 GS300 AWD is posted for 14,999 and I come with 14,999, how can they tell me that this price is only if I finance with them?
Old 02-05-13, 07:06 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gennady7
Well, If I understand the original poster correctly, the GS is used to lure customers to dealerships that tend to do business in a shady way. I have a perfect example, I was in the market of buying a 3rd Gen and found quite a few by local dealers. When I came to the dealers lot with cash in hand, I was told that the posted price only reflected financing options. If a 2006 GS300 AWD is posted for 14,999 and I come with 14,999, how can they tell me that this price is only if I finance with them?
I think I know the dealership you are talking about, its in NY and those fawkers are shady. But not many are like that!

A dealership, even cheap car dealerships most will have a few or more nice cars or front line cars. They will buy fancy cars and put them in the front row to attract buyers. All the crap cars will be in the back lol or section 8 cars
Old 02-05-13, 07:09 AM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gen,

It's simple. If you finance through them they're marking up the rate 2 points, throwing in a warranty, gap insurance, etc. stuff that they make money on. I'm in the car business in the NYC area and there's lots of this nonsense going on.

One of our competitors on Long Island puts cars on line, certified, for what they're bringing at auction or sometimes less. Now, there's no way I can sell certified 2012 Charger SEs for $17,995 and keep the doors open. So... You get there....

Recon fee $995
Transport fee $895
Certification fee $1295

Plus you have to finance with them.

Meanwhile we sell the same car for $20,944 and give you the special rate. But, people see that these clowns are $3k less and go there... Surprise!

Problem is, it works or people wouldn't do it.
Old 02-05-13, 07:11 AM
Gennady7
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ibidu1
I think I know the dealership you are talking about, its in NY and those fawkers are shady. But not many are like that!

A dealership, even cheap car dealerships most will have a few or more nice cars or front line cars. They will buy fancy cars and put them in the front row to attract buyers. All the crap cars will be in the back lol or section 8 cars
Yeah the one I am talking about is on Linden Blvd. They had 2 there, with a pretty good price for the condition / miles. It seems that they want people just to come and LOOK at those cars while sell them others.
Old 02-05-13, 07:28 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gennady7
Yeah the one I am talking about is on Linden Blvd. They had 2 there, with a pretty good price for the condition / miles. It seems that they want people just to come and LOOK at those cars while sell them others.

Yup thats the one! I was about to fly from FL to NY to buy a car from them, thinking I was going to get one hell of a deal. Then I googled their name and sure enough
Old 02-05-13, 08:54 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Most of the cars that come in are mostly auction cars as they can make more money, but most dealerships up here get off lease vehicles because they know it has to be maintained to a certain extent. I usually have never seen two three owners GS's on a Lexus lot.
Old 02-09-13, 02:26 AM
Asav
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rld14
Gen,

It's simple. If you finance through them they're marking up the rate 2 points, throwing in a warranty, gap insurance, etc. stuff that they make money on. I'm in the car business in the NYC area and there's lots of this nonsense going on.

One of our competitors on Long Island puts cars on line, certified, for what they're bringing at auction or sometimes less. Now, there's no way I can sell certified 2012 Charger SEs for $17,995 and keep the doors open. So... You get there....

Recon fee $995
Transport fee $895
Certification fee $1295

Plus you have to finance with them.

Meanwhile we sell the same car for $20,944 and give you the special rate. But, people see that these clowns are $3k less and go there... Surprise!

Problem is, it works or people wouldn't do it.
I recently experienced this getting my AWD. I was flat out having trouble finding a clean GS in good shape, with low miles, and I checked one of these places just to see what the online price really meant.

They outright got aggressive when i even questioned the fees and explained I had my own financing lined up that they could certainly try to beat.

On the end, I just ended up waiting until i found the right one from lexus, but most of these places you guys mentioned have 2-3 owner cars with accidents on the carfax, which is not my cup of tea at all.

Quick Reply: Why are there so many 3GS's at ghetto dealerships?