GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Paintless dent repair question -- dent in front part of rear door

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-13, 07:40 PM
myGSsoWET
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to do my car also. Those dings drive me crazy sometimes especially you can't do anything about it yourself.
Old 02-11-13, 09:08 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mgokool
Hey e-man, do you have any pictures to post of the before/after?
Unfortunately, no, I don't have any before/after pictures. My service advisor took a picture of the crease before it was "fixed," but I feel kind of funny asking for him to send it to me because he'll think that I'm trying to document a complaint.

Here's a question for all of you PDR experts out there. Now that one guy tried to fix it, is there any reason why I can't have another, more experienced guy take a second crack at it? I believe the first guy went in through the window opening, but because of where the dent was located, he was not able to completely remove the dent. Another PDR guy I spoke to said he would be able to get it out, but he would have to drill a small hole in the door jam at the back of the door. If the area has already been worked on, does that somehow weaken it to the point where bad things could happen if a second person starts poking at it?

e
Old 02-11-13, 09:46 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ that question is best answer by your "experienced guy". It is his skill and knowledge you will depend on to fix it properly.

too bad about no pic on before/after.
Old 02-11-13, 01:27 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

It's fine to rework a panel because pdr doesn't use any type of heat on the metal. All pdr does is reverse the dent by messaging the panel.

What exactly is not right with the job? Snap a pic let me see what it looks like. Is it bumpy looking from the tools? There are times where you can wet sand and buff a pdr job to blend it in.
Old 02-11-13, 01:58 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ibidu1
It's fine to rework a panel because pdr doesn't use any type of heat on the metal. All pdr does is reverse the dent by messaging the panel.

What exactly is not right with the job? Snap a pic let me see what it looks like. Is it bumpy looking from the tools? There are times where you can wet sand and buff a pdr job to blend it in.
I should really get a before picture from my service advisor to show you guys. I really do feel funny asking him for it because he will definitely think I'm trying to document a complaint. I could take an after picture, but it will be difficult to get it to show up. I will try, though.

What's wrong with the repair? He wasn't able to get the crease out. Let's say the crease was 5 inches long and 1/8 of an inch deep (it probably wasn't that deep, but just for the sake of discussion). After the repair, the crease is still 5 inches long, but it's only 1/16th of an inch deep. In other words, it's still there, but not as deep/noticeable.

By the way, I thought they do use a little heat to make the metal more pliable? Maybe that was the problem here, that he didn't use any heat.
Old 02-11-13, 04:33 PM
KJSmitty
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have no issue asking or pursuing a "second opinion". The problem is very likely his ability to get behind the crease. As I mentioned above, my guy actually glues tabs to the outside/paint and pulls imperfections out. This same technique probably won't work on a firm crease however - obvious limits to the "pull" limits on the temp superglue.

But, as you are thinking, someone one with more experience may have a better technique or even tool to work it better.

Best of luck - I can remember our worst. I purchased my wife a new Z71 Suburban in 2001. It was only 3 or 4 months old and she came out of the grocery store to find what looked like a hit and run.. It was extremely windy that day thus you know the rest. Literally a 12 inch crease vertically on the drivers door. It took a guy several hours but it was near flawless when complete. The only area that wasn't perfect was right in the middle where the main brace within the panel blocked much of his efforts etc..

Cheers.
Old 02-11-13, 06:46 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Most Pdr do not use heat, they would use heat on plastics like bumpers but not on metal. First of all you in order to heat the panel to where it would be soft would burn the paint, and not only that if you put heat on a flat panel it could fold and get hard in certain sections.

They do also hot glue tabs and use a slide hammer to pull hard to reach spots. But if the other PDR guy told you he needs to poke a hole thats fine ive had my guy do that many times, just make sure he touches up the hole with paint or primer before he put the plug in so it doesnt rust.

You have to understand on crease or folds PDR guys will not be able to knock them out 100%. You live in IL Im sure there are a ton of PDR guys there, take it to someone else if they say they can make it better, go for it.