GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Happy New Years! what to do with this baby?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-13, 01:55 PM
energie8
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Happy New Years! what to do with this baby?

So.. you guys think it's worth to fix? its 06. Pretty much side fenders,front bumper,hood,headlights damaged or done for.

Old 01-01-13, 02:26 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Do you have insurance? If not its going to cost you a lot to fix. Even if you used, used parts still will cost you. These headlights alone run 4-500 ea. You have more damage then what you think. Looks like core support, and possibly radiator and condensor. Then you have the tweaked inner fender rail, and possibly the frame horn maybe tweaked so you defiantly need to throw it on a rack machine.

Parts I estimate 2-3grand if you used all used parts. Body shop if you find a decent shop that will work with you 1,000-2,000.00
Old 01-01-13, 02:30 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I take it you're having to pay for this yourself or are you going through your insurance?
If the parts (salvage yard or new) total less than 30% of the car's realistic value, then it's hardly a write off, is it?
If you fix it, it's going to cost $xxxx, if you sell it on as damage repairable, don't be surprised if the only buyers will be those offering more than the repair cost deducted from any agreed valuation.
Either way, you're going to take a hit in the pocket, and only YOU can decide which option is the best one for you.
Old 01-01-13, 08:17 PM
lx4life
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it looks fixable did it go off the road, any pull in the steering wheel, if its just the cosmetics then definitely fix it, it will cost u close to 3k-4k maybe cheaper for everything to include painting but you are going to have shop hard i.e. ebay, craigslist, salvage yards. i would start with pulling everything off that is damaged so you can see if there is any hidden damage.
Old 01-01-13, 10:22 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

First of all, a very Happy New Year to you and your loved ones.

2nd of all, that car look way too messed up to spend any money on. And you are never guaranteed a smooth experience once something so refined is put back together by anyone else other than the factory themselves.
Old 01-02-13, 02:38 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by designo
And you are never guaranteed a smooth experience once something so refined is put back together by anyone else other than the factory themselves.
What a way to kickstart the new year - just malign a whole industry of skilled people (some moreso than others), and make believe that a Lexus is designed to be thrown away rather than repairable!

Of course, in the R&D phase and crash testing to meet worldwide legislations and safety standards, none of Lexus principle engineers ever thought about redesigning certain elements to make repairing accident damaged vehicles, easier and able to retain their structural integrity.

Perhaps the OP should seek professional opinions rather than armchair ones, and decide if repairing it has merit or not.
Old 01-02-13, 04:00 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boron
What a way to kickstart the new year - just malign a whole industry of skilled people (some moreso than others), and make believe that a Lexus is designed to be thrown away rather than repairable!

Of course, in the R&D phase and crash testing to meet worldwide legislations and safety standards, none of Lexus principle engineers ever thought about redesigning certain elements to make repairing accident damaged vehicles, easier and able to retain their structural integrity.

Perhaps the OP should seek professional opinions rather than armchair ones, and decide if repairing it has merit or not.
Put it this way...

If someone is low on cash and can get this repaired car for a much cheaper price than a non-accident vehicle, then hey go for it. I think if you have the means to get a different car, by all means you should.

I wouldn't fault anyone for putting it back together, but I wouldn't want it myself... if that makes sense. I don't think that the other member was maligning the repair industry, but these cars are very sensitive and complicated. Little problems can become big expensive problems fast.
Old 01-02-13, 05:19 AM
aLexGS350
Lead Lap

I say its done for. I got into an accident that didnt even look this bad and it cost around $10k.
Old 01-02-13, 06:46 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Boron

I speak from experience only, I have no benefit other than trying to contribute to this forum with my experiences to back my posts up.

But then again, I probably live in a *****ty part of the world that houses the world's most state of the art Toyota/Lexus Plaza!
Old 01-02-13, 08:09 AM
gsboss
Driver School Candidate

don't waste your time
Old 01-04-13, 01:39 PM
energie8
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, I just got an answer and its 60% over the value, so I doubt they're going to fix it. I guess time to shop for a new car, I will miss my baby! I had a good 350,000+KM run with her!!
Old 01-04-13, 04:46 PM
JSM1284
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Are the projectors in the headlights damaged? If not, wanna sell them?