GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Radio Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-12, 08:51 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Radio Problems

Car is demonstrating some strange radio behavior lately...

I'll get in the car and there is no sound even though the radio is on. I can cycle through all the modes, but the SAT modes do not show up. Essentially, it cycles through the AM, FM, and DVD and the SAT modes are not there. If I go to the CD/DVD screen, it shows that the disk is playing, but still no sound even though I can still skip through tracks. If I go to the audio screen, adjustments are greyed out in the settings screen.

Then, after driving, it mysteriously comes on and all sound and function is restored. Usually, within 5-10 minutes. It happened maybe once before a long time ago, but it happened maybe three times in the past two days.

I've got a VaisTech Satellite unit with XM receiver that are not really used because I am in Germany and there is no XM coverage here. I haven't had a problem until recently though. I do use the AUX out from the VaisTech as my iPod adapter as my primary input source.

Anyone know if it's the HU or ML amp? Something else?

Old 12-13-12, 11:28 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jre002
Car is demonstrating some strange radio behavior lately...

I'll get in the car and there is no sound even though the radio is on. I can cycle through all the modes, but the SAT modes do not show up. Essentially, it cycles through the AM, FM, and DVD and the SAT modes are not there. If I go to the CD/DVD screen, it shows that the disk is playing, but still no sound even though I can still skip through tracks. If I go to the audio screen, adjustments are greyed out in the settings screen.

Then, after driving, it mysteriously comes on and all sound and function is restored. Usually, within 5-10 minutes. It happened maybe once before a long time ago, but it happened maybe three times in the past two days.

I've got a VaisTech Satellite unit with XM receiver that are not really used because I am in Germany and there is no XM coverage here. I haven't had a problem until recently though. I do use the AUX out from the VaisTech as my iPod adapter as my primary input source.

Anyone know if it's the HU or ML amp? Something else?

Didn't you have some fancy aftermarket sat unit installed? And Vais Tech? I would just take the radio out and wiggle all the plugs while the radio is on and has no sound. I could be a lose connector somewhere.
Old 12-14-12, 12:04 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arnieosp
Didn't you have some fancy aftermarket sat unit installed? And Vais Tech? I would just take the radio out and wiggle all the plugs while the radio is on and has no sound. I could be a lose connector somewhere.
Nope. Didn't need to install an aftermarket GPS system. All I had to do was use a European navigation disk that a computer programmer altered to work with the US model car. Reason why I'm skeptical about the plugs is that it works fine usually. I'll be listening to music up until I turn off the car, then when I start it the next time it has no sound for 5-10 minutes. Been happening for two days now.
Old 12-14-12, 04:22 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had something similar with my Vias, I would start with unplugging it so it can reset and just "re-install" it to see if everything works. Also maybe test everything while its not connected just to rule it out.
Old 12-14-12, 03:42 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 751 Likes on 647 Posts

Sound to me like you probably have a connection problem at the amplifier. I would unplug it and use dieelctrical grease on all the connections.