GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

My CPO Had Damage!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-12, 02:43 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts
Default My CPO Had Damage!

So I dropped my car at my normal dealership to get my rear door checked, as it seemed loose in other words I could lock to unlock with no pressure with my pinky. My dealership calls me up and says they won't touch it because the door handle is aftermarket and the door was repainted. I'm furious as I haven't been in an accident so it has to be from the purchasing dealership. I dropped my car off at the dealership I purchased it from but my real question is if they don't fix it what should I do next, aren't CPO's supposed to be checked.
Old 12-11-12, 03:59 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

I doubt they sell aftermarket replacement door handles for GS's.. Sounds like they are pulling your leg, I would visit another dealer.
Old 12-11-12, 04:53 PM
fventura03
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

try another dealer, if not, your car was probably damaged in that side, it might be certified pre-owned but they dont take apart the whole car and check if there has been an accident on doors and stuff. that would involve tons of man hours manually pulling each door panel off and looking on the inside for dents....
Old 12-11-12, 11:22 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sounds ridiculous, aftermarket door handles don't exist for these cars.

As far as previous paintwork or damage on a CPO car, Lexus doesn't specify, unlike Toyota, a paintwork threshold for a CPO Lexus. Toyota rejects any car for CPO if more than 3 panels (plastic bumpers excepted) have been painted. Lexus? The whole car could have been painted; as long as there is no structural damage whatsoever the car can be a CPO.
Old 12-11-12, 11:32 PM
bigblack06

Ok, I guess I'll find out as its at the second dealership. Hopefully it's fixed, thanks for your help.
Old 12-12-12, 09:21 AM
drydeniv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's lame!

I'm worried about this sort of thing with my car, too. I bought a CPO 2010 with 20k miles about 2 months ago. Even before I bought it, I knew it had been in some sort of a (hopefully) light accident as the rear driver door panel (and a small part of the rear quarter panel) had been repainted - I had them check it out once more, and they said it was just paint scraping.

There weren't any accidents or suspect entries on the car history reports (autocheck, carfax, lexus service history), so I bought it - Can't complain, really, $33.5k for a 2 yr old, 20k mile car...

I found out later that the previous owners were in their upper 70s, so I don't suspect any foul play - but it is my first used car, so I'm probably overly skeptical.

I hope things work out for your situation!
Old 12-12-12, 09:25 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by drydeniv
That's lame!

I'm worried about this sort of thing with my car, too. I bought a CPO 2010 with 20k miles about 2 months ago. Even before I bought it, I knew it had been in some sort of a (hopefully) light accident as the rear driver door panel (and a small part of the rear quarter panel) had been repainted - I had them check it out once more, and they said it was just paint scraping.

There weren't any accidents or suspect entries on the car history reports (autocheck, carfax, lexus service history), so I bought it - Can't complain, really, $33.5k for a 2 yr old, 20k mile car...

I found out later that the previous owners were in their upper 70s, so I don't suspect any foul play - but it is my first used car, so I'm probably overly skeptical.

I hope things work out for your situation!
My carfax had no accidents but I was told that carfax sometime don't show unless damage exceeds a certain about. Yeah you could be but its always good to check, I forgot to really do a thorough inspection.
Old 12-12-12, 09:46 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yea your car meets CPO requirements, its not uncommon for a car to have some paint work.

are they saying the outside handle is not OEM? or some parts holding it on??
Old 12-12-12, 09:51 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by passnu2
yea your car meets CPO requirements, its not uncommon for a car to have some paint work.

are they saying the outside handle is not OEM? or some parts holding it on??
Yeah the first dealership I went to which is my primary dealership. I also took the time to look on ebay for aftermarket couldn't find any but doesn't mean they dont make them. Oh and this is the interior handle, I guess I'll find out today.
Old 12-12-12, 10:58 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Carfax or autocheck doesnt not mean anything, it does help in spotting if to see if the vehicle has ever had a salvage title. But as far as accident wise, I have seen cars with clean carfax but with serious previous accident. Not all accidents are logged and theres.

The dealer do check vehicles for paint work with a paint caliper, that tests to see if any of the panels have been repainted. A lot of times the dealer will paint or touch up a car before they put it on the lot.
Old 12-12-12, 11:22 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sounds more like its the cable that is either catching something, making it tighter, or its maybe the wrong cable when/if it was replaced. I bet if you took the door panel off its an easy fix.

IMO if the certified the car as is then they HAVE to fix it. Not the first time I have seen/heard of a dealer pulling this BS but they had no issues passing the CPO and selling it that way.

Another option is to contact Lexus Care direct and explain how the car was sold to you and that they refused to fix because of prior damage to the car and you would like to know how it passed CPO inspection and why this was never disclosed to you. Better yet call the used car department and give them one last chance to make this better or let them know your contacting Lexus direct and that you will post this all over the internet
Old 12-12-12, 11:43 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by passnu2
sounds more like its the cable that is either catching something, making it tighter, or its maybe the wrong cable when/if it was replaced. I bet if you took the door panel off its an easy fix.

IMO if the certified the car as is then they HAVE to fix it. Not the first time I have seen/heard of a dealer pulling this BS but they had no issues passing the CPO and selling it that way.

Another option is to contact Lexus Care direct and explain how the car was sold to you and that they refused to fix because of prior damage to the car and you would like to know how it passed CPO inspection and why this was never disclosed to you. Better yet call the used car department and give them one last chance to make this better or let them know your contacting Lexus direct and that you will post this all over the internet
Ok will do this if they dont get to it, they have yet to start my car this is why I hate going for service at this dealership, its whatever though got a new RX 13' which does look a lot better with this refresh. Love this steering wheel.
Old 12-12-12, 12:14 PM
bigblack06

So the verdict is that they will replace the whole door handle assembly interior, it was an aftermarket handle, but the door was not repainted. They are fixing because they missed it but now I'm in the loaner tell Friday it looks until the part comes, lots of driving happening while waiting. Thanks for all the help CL.
Old 12-12-12, 01:38 PM
BrahmanLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
So I dropped my car at my normal dealership to get my rear door checked, as it seemed loose in other words I could lock to unlock with no pressure with my pinky. My dealership calls me up and says they won't touch it because the door handle is aftermarket and the door was repainted. I'm furious as I haven't been in an accident so it has to be from the purchasing dealership. I dropped my car off at the dealership I purchased it from but my real question is if they don't fix it what should I do next, aren't CPO's supposed to be checked.
Hi, which dealer in MA is this? Thanks
Old 12-12-12, 02:32 PM
bigblack06

Which one the one it's at now or that I usually go too.

Quick Reply: My CPO Had Damage!