Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - Third Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

'08 GS 350 CPO Brake Dust

Old 11-19-12, 09:25 AM   #1
storms71
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default '08 GS 350 CPO Brake Dust

Hi all, just a quick question about my new '08 GS 350 AWD. Bought it CPO with 67000 mi, the brake pads look new but I'm getting excessive brake dust on the rims - is this normal for these cars or did they just install crappy pads? Don't have to drive it much and the rims are dusted.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

'08 GS 350, AWD, Obsidian, 91K, Continental Extreme DWS, DigitalFit® floor protection, V1 hard wired via rear view mirror ~ mine

'08 RX 350, AWD, Crystal White, Yoko Avid Ascends, DigitalFit® floor protection, V1 hard wired via rear view mirror, 159K, drives & rides like new ~ hers
storms71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-12, 01:55 PM   #2
2GSKaizen
Pole Position
Trader Score: (1)

I work at Lexus of Omaha and see quite a few GS's with brake dusty covered wheels. I think this is pretty standard for most 3rd Gen GS's. The CPO requirements say they must replace the brakes if the pads are below 60% life left. So I'm guessing the pads have at least 60% or better. I do believe the OEM pads on GS's are Ceramic, which means two things. 1 Better stopping due to higher friction, and 2. increased brake dust due to higher friction. I'd recommend a Hydrophobic nano coating for paint be applied to the wheels. This stuff will repel just about any contaminants from sticking to whatever surface you apply it to. This should really help keep the dust from sticking to them. If nothing else, a coat of regular car wax would be a decent alternative. Hope this helps!
2GSKaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-12, 02:03 PM   #3
neurocity
Scotchy, Scotch, Scotch
Trader Score: (17)

The OEM pads even the low dust replacements are very dusty. Totally normal.

neurocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-12, 11:23 PM   #4
arnieosp
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurocity View Post
I had a different experience. I bought my 08 GS350AWD new, the first 5K miles were pretty dusty on the front. I complained about it during the 5K iles service. As it turend out, there was a TSB about it. they replaced the pads with the new and improved ones. Now, at 42K miles, I still have the same pads and still no dust.
Old 11-20-12, 05:50 AM   #5
neurocity
Scotchy, Scotch, Scotch
Trader Score: (17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnieosp View Post
I had a different experience. I bought my 08 GS350AWD new, the first 5K miles were pretty dusty on the front. I complained about it during the 5K iles service. As it turend out, there was a TSB about it. they replaced the pads with the new and improved ones. Now, at 42K miles, I still have the same pads and still no dust.
Quote:
I know, but compared to other brakes our brakes are still dusty.

neurocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-12, 05:15 PM   #6
morganc
Driver

Unfortunately, very dusty seems to be the norm.
morganc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-12, 08:50 PM   #7
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Get these: http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2008/2480.html

I purchased my CPO '09 a few months back and promptly swapped out the nearly new brake pads for these. The difference is night and day. Went from having to wipe down the wheels every other day to every couple weeks. And at $48 for CL members, not a bad price.
Old 12-01-12, 10:39 PM   #8
gs4thirty
Rookie

ive had alot of dust with aftermarket pads on my gs430. You have to stick to oem pads, IMO..
gs4thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-12, 11:01 PM   #9
bigblack06
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnieosp View Post
Yeah I agree I change mine and saw a huge improvement in the amount of dust. I lost some stopping, or it feels that way.

Quote:
I know, but compared to other brakes our brakes are still dusty.
I have to say I think my BMW X5 creates more dust than my lexus did before I changed the pads. I seemed to clean it more than every week because it covered the rim, the dealership told me it was normal.

"It takes 8,460 bolts to assemble an automobile, and one nut to scatter it all over the road."-George Globel
2014 Lexus GS 350 F-Sport/Heated Steering/Blind Spot Monitor/Rear Traffic/30%Tint/Vinyl Wrap/Philips U 6K/J5 Coilovers/Rays GramLight 57FXX Wheels/Meisterschaft Exhaust/Invidia Mid Pipe/Lexon Front and Side Skirt/More To Come

Lexus GS 450h 2007 SOLD http://www.clublexus.com/forums/memb...450h-9909.html
bigblack06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-12, 06:44 AM   #10
burny
Lexus Test Driver

never seen as much dust as with this car. Wipe down the wheels 2-3 times a week and the rag is black
burny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-12, 10:09 AM   #11
ibidu1
Lexus Champion

On my old IS that I just sold, I used pep boys top of the line pads. WAYYY better then the OEM! Stopping power, and most import the brake dust, I had hardly any. I really should try them, I believe they are price near oem, but they are night and day better.

BTW: OEM has 2 different style pads regular and one low dust. I had the low dust on my car and still had lots of dust.
ibidu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-12, 06:33 PM   #12
mmade22
Driver

After 100,000 miles of use, I finally changed out my pads with the oem blue low dust pads. Huge difference in dust. The other pads would of made my rims black by now. The new ones hardly have any dust. Sewell Lexus sells them and its a must change to all who have the old pads. No more wiping my rims down after a day (400 miles) of driving I'm one happy guy
mmade22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-13, 04:02 AM   #13
sawnzo1212
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2GSKaizen View Post
I work at Lexus of Omaha and see quite a few GS's with brake dusty covered wheels. I think this is pretty standard for most 3rd Gen GS's. The CPO requirements say they must replace the brakes if the pads are below 60% life left. So I'm guessing the pads have at least 60% or better. I do believe the OEM pads on GS's are Ceramic, which means two things. 1 Better stopping due to higher friction, and 2. increased brake dust due to higher friction. I'd recommend a Hydrophobic nano coating for paint be applied to the wheels. This stuff will repel just about any contaminants from sticking to whatever surface you apply it to. This should really help keep the dust from sticking to them. If nothing else, a coat of regular car wax would be a decent alternative. Hope this helps!

So let me get this straight...if my car is CPO and my breaks have less than 60%..under cpo contract..lexus will replace my pads to low dust pads...for free?!!
sawnzo1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-13, 04:40 PM   #14
MCCR
Driver

i'll be going with these

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls46...eat-price.html

i'll be changing to slotted rotors as well.

free shipping here

http://www.placeforbrakes.com/index.php
MCCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-13, 01:58 AM   #15
MGB
Driver School Candidate

My is250 and my wife's Z3 M roadster still have the original pads and both are ridicules with the amount of dust they produce. I have OCD and it drives me crazy to see my rims in this state. Any of my past Chryslers, fords and Hondas did not have the dust issues. Do I need to Ask for metallic brake pads to cure this problem!
MGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-13, 01:58 AM