GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Advice on Battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-12, 10:11 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts
Lightbulb Advice on Battery

Members-

Did a search for the "best battery" for a 2007 GS 350 AWD and came up with squat. The original OEM box is starting to crank a bit slower and after being checked it sure is losing juice. Therefore, when replacing it I choose NOT to drop 3k at the dealer for something like this, and now turn to you folks to see what battery I should be looking at.

Good thing is I get military pricing at almost all chain auto part stores, unless someone has some type of secret squirrel location I should try out? Thanks much!

And to all you Veterans out there - Thanks for putting it all on the line for God and Country, so enjoy next Monday off if you can and raise a toast to us and those like us! OOHRAH!!

Old 11-07-12, 10:13 AM
MnGs3xx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Optima Red Top there around 200 bucks
Old 11-07-12, 08:48 PM
XxGoKoUxX
Forum Moderator

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

I don't think you'll be paying $3000 for a battery. I'd say 200 tops. but once again, I always reccomend AGAINST OEM battery, unless you have the patience to revisit lexus every 6-7 months (there's a 10yr warranty on the battery anyway).

Like MnGs3xx, Optima makes great batteries for entry level purposes. I myself am using Optima Yellow top, against reccomendations from autozone/advanced auto/ battery selector, as I use mine's for audio purposes with a lot of juice behind the battery....

You could definitely go red top, and I now even see a yellow top reccomendation for our cars too! Either way you can't go wrong with Optima, they have top tier reliability. I've had my battery in my recently traded in Acura legend for 4+ years, with 1000w+ of abuse throughout all 4+ years of it's life. The battery literally has never let me down, so I think you'd be happy with that as it is.

If you need model #s, they're right here:

(Red Top) http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...chTerm=battery

(Yellow Top) http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...chTerm=battery

Both are within spec to fit into your vehicle.
Old 11-08-12, 04:52 AM
tunedis95
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an optima red top. Have always liked them. I could tell a difference on an older car just by putting one of these in, and knowing how many gadgets are on our car I feel a little better having a powerful battery.
Old 11-08-12, 07:20 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Lightbulb Score !

Just found a Red Top Optima battery, installed for $163! Thats a decent price from what I saw on net for these babies. Hope to report back good things like yoo's guys had for me!

Many thanks!
Old 11-08-12, 11:13 AM
XxGoKoUxX
Forum Moderator

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Congrats! Enjoy your battery (so long as you dont have extreme audio accessories or air suspension and the etc).
Old 11-08-12, 12:48 PM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Cool negative

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
Congrats! Enjoy your battery (so long as you dont have extreme audio accessories or air suspension and the etc).
Nope. All the high end audio stuff is in my dodge 2500. GS is wife's so all bone stock electrical components. Hope the damn thing Fits in without having to carve it up?
Old 11-08-12, 03:19 PM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Is Optima a direct replacement? Does it fit inside the factory batt box? Mounting and all?
Old 11-08-12, 03:48 PM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Thumbs up Mounting

Duplication

Last edited by GunnyFitz; 11-08-12 at 05:45 PM. Reason: dupe
Old 11-08-12, 03:49 PM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Thumbs up Mounting

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
Is Optima a direct replacement? Does it fit inside the factory batt box? Mounting and all?
Got the battery in tonight, along with a new air filter and in cabin filter as well. Here's the skinny on Optima.

They come with a plastic base that snaps onto the bottom of the battery. This raises it up high enough so that it sits at same level as stock one. The plastic piece surrounding the oem box fit perfectly around Optima and the cross member latch tightens it up perfect. Only additional thing I did was zip tie the Optima carry handle to the cross latch so that it wasn't flapping around or came disconnected somehow. I will actually take a shot of it and post it up for all to see.

Must say I didn't notice any difference when starting car. Is there supposed to be any quicker ignition or cranking which is noticeable with these things?
Old 11-08-12, 05:32 PM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

" I always reccomend AGAINST OEM battery, unless you have the patience to revisit lexus every 6-7 months"

FWIW my original battery gave up the ghost in Sept '11 ,after a little over four years. I went with the OEM and bought it at my dealer. It was around $120., and came with a 7 year warranty. No problems since.
Old 11-08-12, 05:48 PM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

That is a bit confusing. First you say you recommend against oem battery, and then say you went back and got one from dealer for $120?
Not sure I'm following you here brother. Either way, I'll see what happens with this red top Optima.
Old 11-08-12, 06:39 PM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

"That is a bit confusing. First you say you recommend against oem battery, and then say you went back and got one from dealer for $120?
Not sure I'm following you here brother."

I believe you're confusing my post with that of XxGoKoUxX - I simply quoted his statement, then gave my input.
Old 11-08-12, 09:34 PM
tunedis95
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't notice a difference either. In my older cars I really did, started easier and ran a bit smoother. It's just piece of mind that I have a battery that has power, more CCA and such, and red is my favorite color. LOL as long as the Optima battery is not defective you'll be good.
Old 11-09-12, 02:18 AM
masterchri
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
sorry to thread jack, but I have an OEM battery and Im on air. The battery gets depleted to where the car wont start if I leave the radio on and the motor off for more than 20 min or so Think an optima would cure that?

Quick Reply: Advice on Battery