GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS 430 and different grades of gas

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-12, 08:46 AM
Dean2
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default GS 430 and different grades of gas

I posted this as a response to another thread, and after searching I could not find any discussion of using different grades of gas, so thought I would start this as a separate thread.

Originally Posted by *Batman*
You probably do more highway cruising. I do a higher share of city driving - so only manage 14mpg. Long distance high speed driving (90+) I get around 21-22 mpg.
There is something seriously wrong with that kind of gas mileage. I have recorded and manually calculated mileage and gas consummation on my 06 GS430 since I got it. In the last 40,000 miles the worst in town has been 24 mile per Imperial gallon, which is 10% bigger than a U.S. gallon so still 21.5 miles per gallon. Highway it runs 28 to 32 mpg, depending on how hard I am dangling. Again, need to deduct 10% to get US equivalent, so 25.3 to 28.8.

I have also done a lot of testing using 87, 89 and 92 octane fuel. In town, there is absolutely no difference in mileage on any of them. On the highway, at speed limit and driving normal, absolutely no noticeable difference. In the mountains on twisty roads and spirited driving, the 92 octane is more responsive, particularly at higher elevation, and gets 2 to 3 mpg better mileage.

Using regular saves me 80 cents a US gallon or almost 16%, so I use regular in town and for flat land highway driving. Save the high test for the mountains. What have others experienced trying this?
The following users liked this post:
ambientgs (02-06-23)
Old 10-20-12, 10:09 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree 14mpg is way too low. Mine is GS430 too and my lowest ever is *checking record* 18.8mpg. That is all city driving and I think happy feet too and might be over fill in the next tank too, so it subtract from this tank.

btw, I use all regular. I tried 3 tanks of Premium gas once, mpg dive a bit and it didn't feel good so I went back to Regular gas. And here in MD they don't do winter/summer gas either, just 10% ethanol.

ETHANOL SUX. Please ppl, grow a brain. You are saving 5cents with ethanol but food price go up in dollars (not cents). You are shooting yourself in the foot and feet and arms with this ethanol ****. All things go up when ethanol is use for gas.
Old 10-20-12, 04:03 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lexus doesn't say use premium gas for better MPG. There is a reason its used...
Old 10-20-12, 05:19 PM
Dean2
Driver

Originally Posted by passnu2
And the reasopn would be?
Old 10-20-12, 08:19 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean2
And the reason would be?
High compression engines. The higher octane prevents early ignition (AKA - knocking). It's only an issue when the engine is under a load (i.e. hard acceleration or going uphill) and even then the knock sensors adjust the timing to account for it. It results in a loss of power and possibly slightly worse MPG's.
Old 10-20-12, 08:56 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
Originally Posted by anthrax144
High compression engines. The higher octane prevents early ignition (AKA - knocking). It's only an issue when the engine is under a load (i.e. hard acceleration or going uphill) and even then the knock sensors adjust the timing to account for it. It results in a loss of power and possibly slightly worse MPG's.
DING DING DING DING, right on the money

Stop trying to save a few bucks, you guys purchased a car that MSRP'd at 60k (430 owners anyway).

A few bucks is not a HUGE compensation when it comes to your engine knocking. Although our engines have very good knock sensors, I still rather be safe than sorry and just end up going with the 93 octane. Like Anthrax and Passnu have said, there is a higher reason that our cars use 93 octane (higher compression pistons for performance vs low performance economical engines).
Old 10-21-12, 02:07 AM
Dean2
Driver

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
DING DING DING DING, right on the money

Stop trying to save a few bucks, you guys purchased a car that MSRP'd at 60k (430 owners anyway).

A few bucks is not a HUGE compensation when it comes to your engine knocking. Although our engines have very good knock sensors, I still rather be safe than sorry and just end up going with the 93 octane. Like Anthrax and Passnu have said, there is a higher reason that our cars use 93 octane (higher compression pistons for performance vs low performance economical engines).
I have been running high compression as well as heavily boosted engines for years. Octane is needed in high compression under heavy load, or with med compression under heavy boost/load. In the Lexus, the compression, combined with light load and good computer control means that in normal driving the extra Octane is in fact wasted. If you aren't using the performance and you aren't getting better mileage, and you aren't hearing any knock, then you have more octane than the motor can efficiently use or in fact requires. Above 5000 feet I agree the high octane is well worth using. It gives noticeably better power and better gas mileage.

Around town or on flat steady highway cruising, it is a waste of natural resources, not to mention paying an extra $2,500 for fuel, every 40 thousand miles for no benefit. I bought the car used and paid all of $25,000 for it in 2008 so in 200 thousand miles the gas savings are half the price of the car. I don't consider that just a few bucks.

Do as you like, but octane has a specific use in car and aircraft fuel. If it isn't serving that purpose it is being wasted.
Old 10-22-12, 08:09 AM
SLOW4DR
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My driving is about 60% highway and I get about 24-25mpg since I've owned my 430. Premium only though
Old 10-22-12, 03:21 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean2
I have been running high compression as well as heavily boosted engines for years. Octane is needed in high compression under heavy load, or with med compression under heavy boost/load. In the Lexus, the compression, combined with light load and good computer control means that in normal driving the extra Octane is in fact wasted. If you aren't using the performance and you aren't getting better mileage, and you aren't hearing any knock, then you have more octane than the motor can efficiently use or in fact requires. Above 5000 feet I agree the high octane is well worth using. It gives noticeably better power and better gas mileage.

Around town or on flat steady highway cruising, it is a waste of natural resources, not to mention paying an extra $2,500 for fuel, every 40 thousand miles for no benefit. I bought the car used and paid all of $25,000 for it in 2008 so in 200 thousand miles the gas savings are half the price of the car. I don't consider that just a few bucks.

Do as you like, but octane has a specific use in car and aircraft fuel. If it isn't serving that purpose it is being wasted.
You can't tell me you drive like a turtle EVERYWHERE, you still have to have pickup in highways and whatnot. Either way, I'm like you, been owning forced induced cars since I was 13-14, unforunately my cars have always seen 93+ octane gasoline in them to prevent detonation, alongside that I was using methanol injection. But all in all, I'd rather just pay the extra few bucks per fill-up, people waste more money on soft drinks they pick up at the gas station anyways .

Originally Posted by SLOW4DR
My driving is about 60% highway and I get about 24-25mpg since I've owned my 430. Premium only though
Yup, i've stuck with premium all of my car's life, used fair to good oil also, and I get a mile or two less per gallon than you .

This is granted that I do hit the throttle harder than usual when accelerating and whatnot
Old 10-25-12, 01:40 PM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I put super. I also like to open the motor up once in a while, its just too much fun. Love this motor.
14-16 MPG city, and 22-25 mpg highway. Difference between regular and super on a tank is a few bucks only.
Old 10-25-12, 01:42 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

enjoy your engine ping
Old 10-25-12, 03:43 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a very simple theory on this, if it says to use premium 91+ I do, it might not make a difference initially, but in a long run who knows. There is a reason why lexus engineers suggest premium.
Old 10-25-12, 03:51 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
I have a very simple theory on this, if it says to use premium 91+ I do, it might not make a difference initially, but in a long run who knows. There is a reason why lexus engineers suggest premium.

you drive a Lexus, not a Honda.

If you wanna pump 87, get a D16y8
Old 10-25-12, 04:16 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

most newer cars will retard or advance timing (electronically) to compensate and there is no way to change it back. the slight savings is not worth the expenses down the road....don't be cheap.
Old 10-25-12, 04:26 PM
LexFather

Are we still having premium vs regular threads? lol

Premium...you bought a premium car

Some new Lexus takes regular, ES, HS, RX...not the GS

Quick Reply: GS 430 and different grades of gas