GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

06 GS430 and Winter Driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-12, 03:52 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

From Chicago and had a GS430 for a few winters with snow tires and it was fine. Just like any RWD car. All this BS about AWD is non sense. RWD is just fine get a set of snow tires/rims, if you can use chains get a narrower rim and find a 17" rim that clears the caliper and you will pass up others.

I bring you this from our member Neurocity in his GS on "all season" tires...yes that's right ALL SEASON.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZfO...w&feature=plcp

so "why" does the OP need AWD???
Old 10-21-12, 01:34 AM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my 2007 GS450h from Alberta and drove the car back to BC. Well when I bought it last Feb it had over 108k km on it. So you can tell it was a daily driver for the previous owner who also lived in Alberta. The car had the Blizzak LM on it.
Old 10-21-12, 02:16 AM
Dean2
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TCKeyz
I bought my 2007 GS450h from Alberta and drove the car back to BC. Well when I bought it last Feb it had over 108k km on it. So you can tell it was a daily driver for the previous owner who also lived in Alberta. The car had the Blizzak LM on it.
You might well be right but I wouldn't necessarily jump to that conclusion, just based on the mileage. My 2006 GS 430 has 115K Klm on it and it has never been winter driven. It usually comes out it late April early May once the gravel and salt have been cleaned off the roads and goes back on the lift end of Oct. Edm Calgary is 700 KLM round trip and Edm GP is over 1100 Klm. Doesn't take long to rack up the miles in this province.
Old 10-21-12, 11:29 AM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dean2
You might well be right but I wouldn't necessarily jump to that conclusion, just based on the mileage. My 2006 GS 430 has 115K Klm on it and it has never been winter driven. It usually comes out it late April early May once the gravel and salt have been cleaned off the roads and goes back on the lift end of Oct. Edm Calgary is 700 KLM round trip and Edm GP is over 1100 Klm. Doesn't take long to rack up the miles in this province.
You are right, that definitely may also be true, I don't live in Alberta so I can't say much about it. But one thing to also consider is that the car's bumper and hood were pitted so badly that it made the front of the black GS look like a white car, there were millions of chips that were on the car. So if they are driven in the summer time only I don't think it's possible to get the car pitted so badly with the roads cleaned off. Again I may be wrong, but there's just something that's telling me that my car was driven in the winter.... a lot!
Old 10-21-12, 02:04 PM
Dean2
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

That much rock chip you are probably right on. It is why I have an old car for the winter months. Shame to mess up the nice paint on a Lexus
Old 10-21-12, 02:08 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

AWD is best for snow/ice + snow tires is best for snow/ice

best combination beside upgrading to HUV.
Old 10-21-12, 03:29 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

if you "need" awd to drive in snow/ice then stay home! Its not a Ferrari and "ok" to drive it in the snow.

This is how I went thru winter in the GS. Swapped oem rims back on the car with snow tires. And was extremely low

Old 10-21-12, 03:46 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

^ best to have and not need than need and don't have.

I wish you live in my neighborhood, your car will plow the road perfectly. hahaha
Old 10-21-12, 09:29 PM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

But the V8 and hybrid version has VDIM, awd doesn't. There are a few posts comparing the two in snow conditions and they preferred the RWD with VDIM over awd as it has better control. Awd only gives you a better traction RIGHT off from a stop. Turning, stopping, control, and everything else is up to the tires and how good the car can manage its traction and control.
Old 10-22-12, 06:50 AM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TCKeyz
But the V8 and hybrid version has VDIM, awd doesn't. There are a few posts comparing the two in snow conditions and they preferred the RWD with VDIM over awd as it has better control. Awd only gives you a better traction RIGHT off from a stop. Turning, stopping, control, and everything else is up to the tires and how good the car can manage its traction and control.
VDIM doesn't help if you can't get moving in the first place.

I guess Lexus is pretty stupid for offering an AWD system with limited slip diff when RWD with electronic assists is really all you could possibly need.
Old 10-22-12, 06:51 AM
SirCrush32
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dean2
Thanks for the replies.

SirCrush As to the Blizzaks, have tried them on other vehicles, not my favourite winter tire, find Michellin quite a bit superior. My favourite the last 5 or so years have become the Nokian Hakipilatja and the WR2s. In addition to the set on the 430, also run the Nokians year round on a Forrunner, an Olds and a Dodge 2500 4x4. The Nokian's have equal ice grip, better deep snow grip, and way better high speed, dry/wet road performance performance plus they maintain this for the whole life of the tire rather than just the first 30%. Also, the Nokians last much better than the Blizzaks overall, even running them year round they are getting 50 to 65 thousand miles a set.

twylie
I too am concerned about the clearance too. We get heavy snow dumps, with sometimes two or three days till the roads are all cleared. We also get a lot of ice as salt and the other products they use don't work below -15 and if the roads are wet they just turn to ice.

I tthink you guys have confirmed what I already was worried about. I think I will keep the 430 for a summer car and drive something better suited to winter driving while the snow is on the ground. -40, salt, rock/sand on roads, deep snow and lots of ice is not the right environment for something as pretty as a Lexus 430. Thanks all for taking the time to answer.
I have tried many brands of snow tires. I've tried the Pirelli Scorpion Ice, Michelin X-Ice, and Blizzak LM60's. All these tires were 245/45/20. Vehicle used was a 2008 Magnum SRT8. Not AWD but RWD. For me Blizzak LM60 was by far a superior tire for me and the type of snow and ice condition we see in Ohio. So all I can claim is what works for me.

With anyone on a public form they should do there homework. Now for a summer tire I'm going Michelin all day. Now, my opinion is bias because my father use to design tires for Michelin. Now you think that I would get a Michelin snow tire. My father even told me they dropped the ball on the design. Nevertheless, if you had a tire work better for you, that's great because at the end of the day I just want everyone to be educated and safe in these crazy winter conditions.

The real thing is to worry about the people driving RWD vehicles with Summer tires thinking traction control is going to save them.
Old 10-22-12, 07:38 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^ Agree 100% on all levels from experience. I heard the Hancook snow tires are getting great reviews and seems many like them better then the Blizzak.
Old 10-22-12, 07:40 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by worker
^ best to have and not need than need and don't have.

I wish you live in my neighborhood, your car will plow the road perfectly. hahaha

Funny I used to say to the locals I was going to charge the city for my plowing services
Old 10-22-12, 08:29 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

^ my pic up top with my GS430 covered with snow, that snow storm my stock height was plowing a few snow bank too. I used a bit of momentum to push through and got out to the main road. A few times I was stuck in snow and had to use rocking motion to get going again. Rocking as in put in reverse and go back as far as I can go, than forward again... than go backward again. I believe if I were in an AWD I wouldn't need to do that.
Old 10-22-12, 10:47 AM
ktonomura
Driver School Candidate

You should be more than ok in Alberta with a good set of winters. I've driven in Edmonton in an old rwd mercedes for over 6 winters on Nokian RSi tires (studless), and the few times i got stuck were all in residential areas before the city got around to plowing because of the layer of ice that forms under the snow.

That being said, i'd probably suggest a set of studded winters to help with the ice that we get everywhere in mid January. Was shopping for tires for my GS this winter and found that there are lots of decently priced studded winters you can run, like the General Altimax Arctic and the Hankook Ipike. If you have the money to spend, the Nokian 7 Studded is widely regarded as the best winter tire period, but they are around $300 each at 225/50/17. Currently running the new Goodyear Ultragrip Ice WRT on my 350 awd, but there hasnt been enough snowfall to really give any feedback about them. Good Luck!

Last edited by ktonomura; 10-22-12 at 11:01 AM.

Quick Reply: 06 GS430 and Winter Driving