GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS350 Top End/Intake Cleaning: Anyone done it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-12, 01:49 PM
bklynchris
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GS350 Top End/Intake Cleaning: Anyone done it?

Hey,
I have an '09 GS350 with 97k miles. I'd like to keep it till well over 250k miles, but I'm beginning to get concerned about carbon build-up in the intake. I've read other threads in here about using Sea Foam, BG, etc. But I've never performed any type of top-end/intake cleaning on this car and now i'm sure it's way past the help of those pour-in products.
I've always used Mobil-1 5W-30 and 91-93 octane gas such as shell or sunoco. I havent noticed any knocking or anything, but the car does feel a bit sluggish. When I changed the spark plugs at 70k miles I looked in and saw a good amount of build-up. But the plugs were not that fouled up and the engine was performing well, so I figured I'd just keep my eye on it.
I've heard so many arguments for and against top end cleaning in the 3GS. I recall someone stating that Toyota specifically designed the intake to avoid carbon buildup by placing an injector right above the valve, or something to that effect? Is that true or just the stuff of internet myth? Others have said that using quality synth oil and gas should prevent serious build-up.
Has anyone had the top end service done where they soak it in GM top end cleaner (or some other recommended top end cleaner) then scrub the hell out of it? Or has anyone torn down the intake and performed a manual cleaning themselves? Anyone know of a DIY out there for the 3GS engine?

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited by bklynchris; 10-09-12 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-09-12, 03:32 PM
uncandid
Driver

You'll get a lot of people saying never to use it and some people who swear by the miracles it preforms, here is my experience.

I just got finished doing a cleaning. I ran half a can of seafoam through the brake booster very slowly, let it sit overnight then went for a dirve after the car warmed up the next morning. I put the other half of the seafoam in the crankcase. I also cleaned the throttle body with tb cleaner and for the first time did a water decarbonization process through the intake as well. I did an oil change after all was said and done. Have I noticed any difference? well at idle the car has zero vibration, throttle response is better especially from stop as before i would always feel a little hesitation like posibbly the throttle plate being sticky. Overall i think it was worth it but I don't have any pictures of the inside of the motor to prove any real cleaning.
The following users liked this post:
skur (10-20-23)
Old 10-09-12, 03:43 PM
bklynchris
Rookie

I've heard a lot about the benefits of water decarbonization. Can you describe how you carried it out?
Old 10-09-12, 05:29 PM
bklynjoker
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing I've done is clean my throttle bodie and throttle plate which was Black from dirt & I guess carbon build up. From that I noticed my MPG has gotten better, so every few months ill remove intake pipe and clean plate n body.
Old 10-09-12, 05:38 PM
bklynchris
Rookie

Have you had a chance to inspect the top end to see if carbon buildup has gotten severe?
Old 10-09-12, 06:55 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BG Products being utilised in this video.

Not one I've tried, but does sound interesting.

Last edited by Boron; 10-09-12 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-09-12, 07:51 PM
bklynchris
Rookie

With the amount of carbon buildup that has accumulated over 100k miles, I feel like using one of the injection cleaning systems will result in huge pieces of carbon debris breaking off and potentially causing severe permanent damage. Manual cleaning by removing the intake and valve cover may be the only real way of removing the bad stuff.

Am I right, or just overreacting?
Old 10-09-12, 07:58 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

watch?v=w4ABTo42tKA

Rather than another embedded video, just copy and paste that after .com/ and watch another 15 minutes of your life disappear......!

Last edited by Boron; 10-09-12 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-09-12, 08:07 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bklynchris
With the amount of carbon buildup that has accumulated over 100k miles, I feel like using one of the injection cleaning systems will result in huge pieces of carbon debris breaking off and potentially causing severe permanent damage. Manual cleaning by removing the intake and valve cover may be the only real way of removing the bad stuff.

Am I right, or just overreacting?
I'd love to say I knew exactly how much carbon was removed at any one instance, but I don't.
Having seen a diesel BMW, with their known swirl flap issue, coked up to high buggery, I noticed the deposit was quite soft at the surface, but as it got closer to the part's surface, it had obviously hardened quite significantly due to heat cycles, I presume.

I'd say your answer lies with contacting BG and asking them how much of an issue this is or isn't.
It is recommended though, to have a flush and oil change done afterwards, and 44K in the tank to clean the fuel system and clean injectors internally.

There's a good video by BG showing the workings of an engine, and which products effect which parts of it.
Old 10-09-12, 11:44 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts

Makes a big difference, noticed that the car idles smoother and the mileage definitely improved on my IS350. Would highly recommend it.
Old 10-10-12, 06:37 AM
bklynchris
Rookie

I had several concerns, one being that the using cleaners like BG would cause all the newly-released carbon deposits to take a giant ***** on the O2 sensors and cat convertor. Has anyone experienced this?
Old 10-10-12, 08:04 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

If you're concerned that may be a likelihood occurrence, then perhaps the Terraclean method is a better option.
Whether it's (just) as effective or not, is open to debate.
Certainly seems impressive, but at least with Chevron using Techron (their brand name for the PEA chemistry) and lab results confirming it does work, then at least with BG you know you're getting proven effectiveness.

If Terraclean did a borescope video like BG has, and/or the same fuel test as they've been doing, then it would certainly validate their claims that their approach works just as well, if not safer/better for the likes of the O2 sensors and CATs.
Old 10-10-12, 10:40 AM
bklynchris
Rookie

does anyone know of a reputable places that offers the Terracelan system in the NY, NJ, CT, PA area?