GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Oil change issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-12, 03:10 AM
Ironman50
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Oil change issue

I have used Mobil Express (synthetic oil) last 2 times for oil change vs. Lexus dealership.

Now on 3rd time with Mobil they can't get the oil filter off......they tell me they needed to order a special Lexus-Toyota wrench.....that concerns me.

Should I let Mobil go ahead and attempt to get the filter off or go back to my Lexus dealership?

Concerned Mobil Express might mess something up and cause a major issue.

I am leaning to Lexus dealership and let a true professional mechanic deal with this.

Thoughts? Recommendations?
Old 10-05-12, 04:30 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same wrench exists on Amazon and elsewhere at a lot less money than what Lexus dealers sell it for.
But why are you worrying about who takes the oil filter off for?
Are you trying to intimate that somehow the Mobil oil has done something to the filter cover?
The most they can do wrong is damage the cover, which they would replace.
Don't know where your fear is stemming from, but if you have concerns, just talk to them.
Old 10-05-12, 04:42 AM
Ironman50
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't do work on my cars.
I just didn't want damage from an a Mobil oil changer on my $35K automobile.
Based on your comments I shouldn't be concerned with Mobil taking care of this.

Thanks.
Old 10-05-12, 04:54 AM
Flymase
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought mine at walmart for $9. The tech probably wasn't sure of himself. On my first oil change I did myself on my car, even with the wrench, I couldn't get the oil filter chamber open. I had to muscle it and when it came loose that was my learning experience. It's just like a tight jar lid, once you get it loose you just screw it off. However in your situation I would just take it to Toyota(cheaper) or Lexus because if they are complaining about an oil filter wrench then they probably won't take the time to replace the o-rings for the new filter.
Old 10-05-12, 06:05 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think the OP says they were complaining - just that it was tight and would preferably want to muscle it off with the correct fitting tool rather than something makeshift.
That's the sign of a good outfit, since a lesser mechanic/garage might've bodged it by using brute force and ignorance.
The OP won't be expected to pay for the tool - it'll be absorbed into the business as a deductible expense, and they'll now have it for future customers, inc the OP returning, they hope.
If the job is quite a bit cheaper than using a dealership, then that makes sense to stick with them.
Old 10-05-12, 06:08 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

From my own personal past experiences, I would never let any garage change my oil.
Old 10-05-12, 06:26 AM
Flymase
Rookie

Originally Posted by Boron
I don't think the OP says they were complaining - just that it was tight and would preferably want to muscle it off with the correct fitting tool rather than something makeshift.
That's the sign of a good outfit, since a lesser mechanic/garage might've bodged it by using brute force and ignorance.
The OP won't be expected to pay for the tool - it'll be absorbed into the business as a deductible expense, and they'll now have it for future customers, inc the OP returning, they hope.
If the job is quite a bit cheaper than using a dealership, then that makes sense to stick with them.
Mine is a Frame oil filter wrench that looks like big channel locks. If they can call Napa and have them send the tool over within the hour (or run to Walmart) why turn away the business, especially if they already drained the oil. They tightened it with what ever tool they used last time so my brain works like this "I put it on with this tool, I should be able to get it off with this tool, don't quit unless your damaging something". But the tabs on the oil filter casing are metal so I can't see to much harm being done.
Old 10-06-12, 05:09 PM
Yopeterson
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ironman50
I have used Mobil Express (synthetic oil) last 2 times for oil change vs. Lexus dealership.

Now on 3rd time with Mobil they can't get the oil filter off......they tell me they needed to order a special Lexus-Toyota wrench.....that concerns me.

Should I let Mobil go ahead and attempt to get the filter off or go back to my Lexus dealership?

Concerned Mobil Express might mess something up and cause a major issue.

I am leaning to Lexus dealership and let a true professional mechanic deal with this.

Thoughts? Recommendations?
I think I would take it to Lexus Of Louisville. They charge me about 100 to do a full synthetic oil change. Keep in mind my GS 460 holds over 9 qts. of oil. My concerns would be messing up the stem on the oil filter housing.
Old 12-12-12, 07:24 AM
ncgirl05
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Boron
Same wrench exists on Amazon and elsewhere at a lot less money than what Lexus dealers sell it for.
But why are you worrying about who takes the oil filter off for?
Are you trying to intimate that somehow the Mobil oil has done something to the filter cover?
The most they can do wrong is damage the cover, which they would replace.
Don't know where your fear is stemming from, but if you have concerns, just talk to them.
Can someone please tell me what tool to look for specifically on Amazon, or at Wal Mart? We nearly stripped the canister during the last oil change - really want to avoid that!

Thanks!!!!
Old 12-12-12, 07:54 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

not so sure I would trust this place, I find it hard to believe they didn't have any tools they could use. There are plenty of universal tools and for a place that specializes in oil changes to not be prepared for this is a little bit
Old 12-12-12, 08:05 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
not so sure I would trust this place, I find it hard to believe they didn't have any tools they could use. There are plenty of universal tools and for a place that specializes in oil changes to not be prepared for this is a little bit
Maybe they wanted to charge extra to remove a filter?

Theres Oil filter socket kits, the normal O band type filter wrench, a screw driver. I use a screw driver and hammer worst case scenario if i dont have any other way.

But my favorite oil filter removal tool is a channel lock oil filter wrench.

Oil filters are supposed to be hand tightened. The average oil changing person probably does not have enough grip to over tighten it. Over tightening an oil filter with a wrench can cause the O-ring to crush, crack or what have you and cause an oil leak.
Old 12-12-12, 07:19 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ncgirl05
Can someone please tell me what tool to look for specifically on Amazon, or at Wal Mart? We nearly stripped the canister during the last oil change - really want to avoid that!

Thanks!!!!
Search for this...this is the exact one i use:

Assenmacher Specialty Tools TOY 640 Oil Filter Socket Wrench for Toyota/Lexus
Old 12-12-12, 07:24 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dengman
Maybe they wanted to charge extra to remove a filter?

Theres Oil filter socket kits, the normal O band type filter wrench, a screw driver. I use a screw driver and hammer worst case scenario if i dont have any other way.

But my favorite oil filter removal tool is a channel lock oil filter wrench.

Oil filters are supposed to be hand tightened. The average oil changing person probably does not have enough grip to over tighten it. Over tightening an oil filter with a wrench can cause the O-ring to crush, crack or what have you and cause an oil leak.
That may work on your car, and it worked on my motorcycle, which use those plastic self contained oil filter blobs but these cars have the metal oil filter casing that just an element is placed in. It is not the same, you can't just drive a screwdriver through it you need to get the metal case open.
Old 12-12-12, 08:02 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

I just had my oil change done at toyota, i look online for specials and present them to them. 32 bucks for synthetic oil change
Old 12-12-12, 09:26 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

This has nothing to do with the type of oil you're using. The first time I changed my oil, I had a ***** of a time getting the oil filter off. I ordered the same Assenmacher Specialty Tools TOY 640 Oil Filter Socket Wrench that was mentioned earlier. Once I got it off the first time, you only need to hand tighten the oil filter. I'm not sure why the dealerships insist on tightening them down so much.

Quick Reply: Oil change issue