GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
Old 12-15-14, 01:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Automatic Headlights won't shut off

Old 10-04-12, 12:13 AM
Lexus88
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Automatic Headlights won't shut off

Anyone else ever have this problem before in a 2006 GS??? For the past few days my automatic headlights won't shut off automatically after I get out of the car. It just killed my battery while I was at the theater watching a movie. It won't even shut off the lights after I hit the lock button twice on my remote. I have to go back in the car and switch it off from the light switch.

Not sure if this is related in any ways but one of my tire pressure sensors is bad and the warning light is on in the gauge cluster. The tire pressure warning light is on and on the LCD screen it says "Check System" with the tire pressure warning icon next to it.

It seems like both these problems just started a few days ago.
Old 10-04-12, 06:46 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Only way I can think of why it will do that is if a door is left open, or you get out of the car, reach in the car and turn it off without opening the drivers side door after the car is off and then closing the window from inside (in the 43 second period the car gives you after you turn it off) or you get out, you close your door and the passenger hits the button to turn off the car and gets out and locks it. When you turn off the car, the drivers door must be opened from the inside and then closed then the car must be locked for the auto lights to shut off after the set time or immediately after you hit the lock button twice.

Just trying to guess at some possibilities... are any of those possible?

-Joe
Old 10-04-12, 07:26 AM
energie8
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah it does that sometimes, I get that maybe about once a month or sometimes once every 5 months lol.
Old 10-09-12, 11:29 AM
SCGS350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had this happen a few times now, 07 GS350 under warranty, I will let my dealer know and hopefully I'll get it resolved. I will post what answer I get.
Old 10-10-12, 12:28 AM
Ziggy716
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are probalbly 2 photo sensors (light detectors) in the car for redundency try locating them and see if you could manually make the interior lights dim. I suspect the photo lenses in the vehicle are faulty or deteriorating thus causing your lights to be on.
Old 10-10-12, 06:53 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ziggy716
There are probalbly 2 photo sensors (light detectors) in the car for redundency try locating them and see if you could manually make the interior lights dim. I suspect the photo lenses in the vehicle are faulty or deteriorating thus causing your lights to be on.
His issue isn't related to when the car is on, it is when the car is turned off, locked, and walked away from. The lights remain on and don't auto shut off after the specified period of time.

And the light sensor on our dash is the one that controls when the headlights go on and off and the dimming of panel brightness. http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_02-03.pdf (Page 2) The one in the rear deck controls the electrochromic speedometer tint, and at night I believe it aids in the measurement of control in conjunction with the rear view mirror for the electrochromic (dimming) rear view and outside side view mirrors. http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_02-02.pdf (Page 3-4)

Just throwing that second bit out there in case anyone was curious.

-Joe
Old 10-10-12, 01:28 PM
SCGS350
Rookie

Originally Posted by jamodeo
His issue isn't related to when the car is on, it is when the car is turned off, locked, and walked away from. The lights remain on and don't auto shut off after the specified period of time.

And the light sensor on our dash is the one that controls when the headlights go on and off and the dimming of panel brightness. http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_02-03.pdf (Page 2) The one in the rear deck controls the electrochromic speedometer tint, and at night I believe it aids in the measurement of control in conjunction with the rear view mirror for the electrochromic (dimming) rear view and outside side view mirrors. http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_02-02.pdf (Page 3-4)

Just throwing that second bit out there in case anyone was curious.

-Joe
As stated above, this is only happening when the vehicle is off during night time, the lights are staying on and have to be manually turned off. During regular hours they perform well, on in dark areas and back to day lights in the light. My only answer to this is maybe a defective relay, which is keeping them on. I'll know soon.
Old 10-10-12, 11:39 PM
gojeezy123
Driver

Default its a defecttttttttttttt

i park mine in the garage every night and usually the lights shut off on their own since i have them on auto.. but tonight was the 2nd time it just happened to me within the last 2 weeks where they stayed on.. it has nothing to do with day time/night time sensors or anything like that, nothing to do with locking or unlocking doors since mine is always unlocked and they'll still turn off until recently... has to be a random defect with the controller or module for the headlight auto on/off function itself
Old 10-11-12, 09:17 AM
SCGS350
Rookie

Vehicle is now at the dealer, I recorded the issue in order to show what's going on. The problem is that it sporadically does it, however at night after a good hour of driving, the issue tends to come up. Dealers usually need to duplicate the problem, which is why I showed them the video. I'll post any solutions.
Old 10-12-12, 08:43 AM
kdag92
Driver School Candidate

Default Having same issue w 07 GS 350 121k mi

At night lights on auto do not shut off. Killed my battery three times. Replaced HID bulbs due to turning off sporadically while driving. Please let me know what dealer says.
Old 10-12-12, 02:42 PM
SCGS350
Rookie

Picked up my vehicle today, here's what got done. "Found left front door courtesy light switch sticking at times and not seeing drivers door opening, causing light to not turn off at times. Rec new courtesy light switch left front door". So that's what got replaced my courtesy light switch, from what I can read the vehicle was never picking up that I had exited it, therefore maintaining the lights on. I' haven't driven the vehicle at night yet but once I do I'll see if the issue has been resolved. All work was under warranty, however the WO states this job (labor and parts) came out to $43.68 that's good news if you have no warranty.
Old 10-12-12, 06:44 PM
gojeezy123
Driver

Originally Posted by SCGS350
Picked up my vehicle today, here's what got done. "Found left front door courtesy light switch sticking at times and not seeing drivers door opening, causing light to not turn off at times. Rec new courtesy light switch left front door". So that's what got replaced my courtesy light switch, from what I can read the vehicle was never picking up that I had exited it, therefore maintaining the lights on. I' haven't driven the vehicle at night yet but once I do I'll see if the issue has been resolved. All work was under warranty, however the WO states this job (labor and parts) came out to $43.68 that's good news if you have no warranty.
interesting... good to hear its something as simple as that.. next time it happens to me, i'll check that switch out
Old 10-14-12, 04:13 AM
avfs313
Driver School Candidate

good to hear as I have the same problem from time to time.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 10-15-12, 01:04 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It's the switch, it's held on by one bolt and super easy to take off and replace. Mine sometimes sticks in the closed position... I took it off once to clean and tighten there are two things that can go wrong with it.

1) Bad ground because the bolt is loose or corroded. The bolt, I believe, serves as the ground to the body.
2) The rubber surrounding the switch just gets weird and sticky. If mine don't turn off when I open the door (I had my options changed so lights go off as soon as driver door opens so I could at least know right away if it's sticking or not) then I just reach down and tug on the switch a bit and whenever that happens it just kind of "pops".

I've got to cover the thing in silicone one of these days to see if I can get it to stop sticking but if not then the part is cheap and it will take you all of 2 minutes to replace yourself.
Old 10-23-12, 02:08 AM
avfs313
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the information as I thought my sensor wasn't working and needed to replace one. so I guess now I will try to fix it myself. thanks again

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Automatic Headlights won't shut off