GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Replacement of a Single Tire (dealer story)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-12, 10:28 AM
sypherjak
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement of a Single Tire (dealer story)

At the dealership now and they are telling me that my GS350 (third gen) needs to have the rear tire replaced as its beginning to wear out. These are the stock tires which came with the car. I took a look in their garage and can see a bit of wear. I asked how much a replacement would cost and they quoted me at $360 after everything!!! He said this was because the stock tires are run flats. For a single tire!!

Thoughts/Ideas as to what/where i can go for cheaper run flats? Thanks
Old 09-22-12, 11:03 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Try Discount Tire or Tire Rack for a cheaper price. $360 for a replacement at a dealership is typical.
Old 09-22-12, 11:13 AM
vicsis250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sypherjak
At the dealership now and they are telling me that my GS350 (third gen) needs to have the rear tire replaced as its beginning to wear out. These are the stock tires which came with the car. I took a look in their garage and can see a bit of wear. I asked how much a replacement would cost and they quoted me at $360 after everything!!! He said this was because the stock tires are run flats. For a single tire!!

I'm starting to learn very quickly being a new lexus owner that It's not as easy as it seem to get something done at another cheaper place cuz this is how you should think that cheaper place is just going to replace the tire not reset your TPMS tire sensor and you will have to go back to lexus and get that reset. Thats my take it doesn't have to be yours .
Old 09-22-12, 11:19 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by vicsis250
I'm starting to learn very quickly being a new lexus owner that It's not as easy as it seem to get something done at another cheaper place cuz this is how you should think that cheaper place is just going to replace the tire not reset your TPMS tire sensor and you will have to go back to lexus and get that reset. Thats my take it doesn't have to be yours .
If the shop is reputable, they should be able to restet the sensors if needed. I always recommend Discount/Amerca's Tire because they do this for you with the tire purchase.
Old 09-22-12, 12:43 PM
Blacknot
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vicsis250
Most tire places know that many cars come with TPMS. There is a button under the dash next to the diagnostic port to reset the TPMS it takes 10 seconds to do. The dealer is the most expensive place to get a tire replaced
Old 09-22-12, 12:45 PM
benbuilt4u
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i never had to reset a tpms sensor with new tire install as long its put back in the same tire location car has no idea that you changed tire how would it!
Old 09-22-12, 04:41 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

You don't have to reset the tpms sensor when replacing a tire, its like saying you need to replace engine air filter when doing an oil change.
Old 09-23-12, 06:45 AM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sypherjak

$360 is a bit cheaper than I paid for mine 3 years ago.
Dealers have come down with their tire price to match with local tire shops, Lexus of Northboro and Watertown in MA.
After two sets of running flat tires, I think I am going to change to conventional tires next few months. Run flat tires are good in snow. Got 40K miles out of the first set, 35K on the second set so far.
Old 09-23-12, 07:09 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

tell them to rotate the tires only. that will remove the 'a bit' wear. than replace all tires with regular when they r worn.

and tpms don't need to reset. it's just a sensor when pressure is below the set pressure. just pump the tire to it's set pressure and the tpms will be just as happy, it doesn't care new or old tires.

DO NOT RESET YOUR TPMS. the reset is to set the current pressure as the new norm. you should not touch the reset button at all unless you change to a tire that require different pressure. most car tires require the same pressure.
Old 09-23-12, 10:01 AM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 on rotation. I rotate mine every 5-6k miles. I got 36k miles out of the original 18" Michelins.
Also +1 on Discount Tires, although I know they're not located in many states. They do free rotation/balance even if nothing was purchased from them, and match or beat any other retailer's prices..
Old 09-23-12, 11:57 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

FYI: Dealerships, if you find legit pricing, will work with you on tire prices if you provide them solid proof that u can find it cheaper. They will price match, at least that what Lexus of Orlando does, my uncle got Michelin tires when 360ea for 240 or so each, with a no questions asked, no core charged road hazard warranty. No other place does that, you always have to pay 20-50$ if your tire pops or blows.
Old 09-23-12, 12:09 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by worker
DO NOT RESET YOUR TPMS. the reset is to set the current pressure as the new norm. you should not touch the reset button at all unless you change to a tire that require different pressure. most car tires require the same pressure.
that isn't true, sorry...

in fact, without being able to reprogram the computer, there is no way to change inflation pressure required for TPMS...

resetting TPMS is more so that the system is initialized immediately instead of having to drive for some unknown period of time before the system resets itself... depending on the make/model of the vehicle, it can also be to determine which tire is in which location and is definitely required if rotating tires due to the fact the car doesn't know which is which until you tell it...

any real tire shop should include resetting the system if it is required and hopefully for a very small or no fee at all...

how do the rest of the tires look? tread depth, irregular wear?
Old 09-23-12, 05:43 PM
Blacknot
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mitsuguy

in fact, without being able to reprogram the computer, there is no way to change inflation pressure required for TPMS...

resetting TPMS is more so that the system is initialized immediately instead of having to drive for some unknown period of time before the system resets itself... depending on the make/model of the vehicle, it can also be to determine which tire is in which location and is definitely required if rotating tires due to the fact the car doesn't know which is which until you tell it...

any real tire shop should include resetting the system if it is required and hopefully for a very small or no fee at all...

how do the rest of the tires look? tread depth, irregular wear?
If thats true expalin to me why when i bought my Vossen wheels that had the Tpms programed to another Gs worked perfectly fine and didnt throw a code when i put them on my car?
Old 09-23-12, 05:59 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

^ um u keep ure original rims in ure garage and drive less then 35 miles a day!!!!
Old 09-24-12, 10:57 AM
KJSmitty
Driver

Originally Posted by mitsuguy

I'm not claiming to be a Lexus TPMS expert, and "reset" may not be the best word for it yet according to my manual you can "reset or change" the pressure value at which the TPMS will baseline its warnings. This is more of a calibration function - IE, you set your tire pressures to say 35PSI then run the calibration process. TPMS is now set at a 35PSI baseline etc.

Performing a TPMS "reset" may result in a new baseline as well - and depending on what your tires have for pressure (unchecked by unsuspecting owner), one could easily result in a "tire pressure baseline" that is undesired - say like set at a hot tire pressure vs cold..

Cheers

Quick Reply: Replacement of a Single Tire (dealer story)