GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

3GS Drinking Oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-12, 12:27 PM
GP360
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3GS Drinking Oil

I own a 2006 awd gs300. I started noticing that my low oil sensor has been coming on a little after 2000 miles into my last few oil changes. Normally I could go 5000 miles and oil will still be at full. I took the car to the shop to have it inspected. They told me that I need an engine overhaul, including pistons, rings, springs, gaskets, & valve guide seals. (This is going to be costly!) I was told that they have been seeing it alot lately in the 3GS & 2IS, and Lexus does not have a recall on the problem. Just wanted to know if anyone else is having this problem? And what solution did you come up with?
Old 09-18-12, 06:59 PM
joeker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what oil weight do you use?
Old 09-18-12, 08:03 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what did they do to determine this? Compression test? Leak down test??

any smoke on cold starts? any smoke coming from your oil dipstick?
Old 09-18-12, 08:06 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Lexus does have a recall/TSB (technical service bulletin) for sticking rings.
Before going there, do you know if the dealer, or elsewhere (presuming you don't DIY) use a good engine flush - BG Products Quick Clean 105 would be my choice - each or the last change?

If we assume it's not a sludge issue, what oil grade/type did they use?
If you're using a synthetic 5w-30, then you should be okay, but if they've filled with 0w/5w-20, there's a good chance it's too thin, and getting past the rings.

Oil wise, I would give serious consideration to Redline 5w-30, as it has good specs, esp the NOACK percentage, which you ideally want to be low.

If you know a good indy garage, you could have them check the compression - that'd confirm poor ring seal.
Old 09-18-12, 08:29 PM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How many miles do you have on the car, OP?
Old 09-19-12, 06:57 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GP360
I own a 2006 awd gs300. I started noticing that my low oil sensor has been coming on a little after 2000 miles into my last few oil changes. Normally I could go 5000 miles and oil will still be at full. I took the car to the shop to have it inspected. They told me that I need an engine overhaul, including pistons, rings, springs, gaskets, & valve guide seals. (This is going to be costly!) I was told that they have been seeing it alot lately in the 3GS & 2IS, and Lexus does not have a recall on the problem. Just wanted to know if anyone else is having this problem? And what solution did you come up with?
My 07GS350 AWD has 75K miles. Previous oil changes, the oil level was stlll at full mark after 5K miles. Current oil change, I have topped off 1 Qt so far after 5K miles, I had the valve spring recall done 16 months ago. Have an appointment to bring the car in for other services next week, Will see what dealership is going to say about this oil burning. They would probabky say it's normal.
Had been owniing 2 Accords & one Acura. None of them burnt oil after 200K miles.,
Old 09-19-12, 11:44 PM
GP360
Driver School Candidate

Have been using synthetic 5w-30 since my first oil change, bought car brand new, no smoking ever, no over heating ever, oil has not ever been black, no oil leaks or signs of burning. I'm currently at 130k miles. All recalls up to date. My tech & dealer tech says my best bet is to just keep filling it up periodically & don't let it get too low, but eventually I'll want to get the overhaul. I guess if I do that, I might as well do some upgrading to the engine. Any suggestions? Just wish enough people out were having this problem for Lexus to recall it. Also wish they would recall that annoying cabin rattle/squeak!
Old 09-20-12, 06:07 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

a quick way to see if your valve seals or rings are going is to have someone sit in the car on a cold start while you stand behind (not in the cold) and see if you get and/or smell and traces of oil. It wont last very long.

There isn't much your going to do to this motor in terms of building it up.

Next thing I would do is have a compression test & leak down test to see if you can pin point what the root cause is. Pull your plugs to see how they look also. If your capable you can probably rent and return the compression & leak down testers from your local Auto Zone or auto parts store. If not I would post in your regional section and I am sure with the amount of members in CA a local could help you perform this

Personally I wouldn't just keep adding oil and ignore what is going on. I would suggest finding out now rather then wait. If its serious last thing you want to do is wait and allow it to cause other issues.

Good luck with everything
Old 09-20-12, 09:59 AM
GP360
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input, will keep you guys posted on outcome!
Old 09-20-12, 05:46 PM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 06 has about 75000 on it. I notice the back of the car always has exhaust spots drying on it such as after I am driving in the rain. The other day, I needed to pass someone quickly so stepped harder on the pedal than usual. Trans went into overdrive and I saw some smoke behind me. That did not make me happy. Plus, as others have reported, sometimes after a fast stop, the engine shakes so I guess it is a misfire.
Old 09-23-12, 01:12 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you familiar with the carbon/misfire CSP? I know there's threads all over about it. Part of the TSB involved in that CSP has a section for oil consumption. related to the carbon issue.

Take it in and complain about oil consumption and rough idle. Just trust me. If your dealer knows what they're doing, there's a decent chance you'll rightfully get the piston rings replaced under warranty. It's a complicated explanation but hopefully your dealer will know what they're doing.
Old 09-23-12, 05:11 PM
RandomTech
Rookie

Originally Posted by diagtime
there's a decent chance you'll rightfully get the piston rings replaced under warranty.
There's a 100% chance you'll get free pistons rings if they can duplicate it - the newly released special campaign is good for 9 year and unlimited miles.

If you're extra lucky, one of the 5-10% of people with the issue and severely scored cylinder walls, you'll get an entirely new shortblock with updated pistons and rings installed. Godspeed.
Old 09-23-12, 09:53 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, but it will make things easier if you complain about rough idle. the oil consumption complaint is a much longer and annoying process. if you're consuming that much oil, you probably have 10 lbs of carbon in your engine. take it in and complain about oil consumption AND really rough idle at times.
Old 09-24-12, 03:40 AM
stefnee
Driver

Default 06 GS300 w/130K

I have taken mine in numerous times complaining about low oil and rough idle. The light would come on after 3000 miles. Once they ran a test, saw nothing and told me to come back in 1000 miles to run another test. Again, they saw nothing. I also had issues with the rough idle. Lexus has my car now for the Customer Support Program (not recall, I changed the title of a previous post from recall to CSP) issue with rough idle. The SA said that may have also caused the low engine oil issue. They have had the car since last Wednesday. Said I may get it back by this Wednesday.

I took the car and letter in to Lexus. They run a diagnosis and if they find something, they open a issue with Lexus Corp. Lexus then has to approve the repair. I will have the piston rings replaced.
Old 09-24-12, 12:02 PM
RandomTech
Rookie

Originally Posted by stefnee
I have taken mine in numerous times complaining about low oil and rough idle. The light would come on after 3000 miles. Once they ran a test, saw nothing and told me to come back in 1000 miles to run another test. Again, they saw nothing. I also had issues with the rough idle. Lexus has my car now for the Customer Support Program (not recall, I changed the title of a previous post from recall to CSP) issue with rough idle. The SA said that may have also caused the low engine oil issue. They have had the car since last Wednesday. Said I may get it back by this Wednesday.

I took the car and letter in to Lexus. They run a diagnosis and if they find something, they open a issue with Lexus Corp. Lexus then has to approve the repair. I will have the piston rings replaced.
They're doing the piston rings right now I bet. It takes 3-4 days to do the repair and a day to get parts, so a week sounds about right.

Congrats on your free, refreshed engine. They run really well with the new rings.

Quick Reply: 3GS Drinking Oil