GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
Old 12-16-14, 12:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides

Print Wikipost

FINALLY....Recall on GS300 engine misfire

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-13, 02:46 PM
charmz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone in the gta or canada have any luck yet?

im not paying a diagnose fee for them to tell me what i already know then have them tell me to pay to get it fixed when the us has issued a recall.

my car burns 1 quart every 1500 kms, i RARELY get any misfire or have any lights come up. only has happened 2 times since ive owned the car.... i just disconnect the battery to reset

as times goes on and more km's add up on the car, the oil consumption seems to get worse.... this problem only started for me the end of 2012 at around 140,000km (just after my extended cpo powertrain warranty expired)
Old 08-29-13, 06:19 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by charmz
anyone in the gta or canada have any luck yet?

im not paying a diagnose fee for them to tell me what i already know then have them tell me to pay to get it fixed when the us has issued a recall.

my car burns 1 quart every 1500 kms, i RARELY get any misfire or have any lights come up. only has happened 2 times since ive owned the car.... i just disconnect the battery to reset

as times goes on and more km's add up on the car, the oil consumption seems to get worse.... this problem only started for me the end of 2012 at around 140,000km (just after my extended cpo powertrain warranty expired)
Try sending an email to lexus on the park, but they will tell you to pay them $130 or whatever for diagnostics... but it might be interesting to see what they say about the oil consumption. I am waiting for a check engine light (which the car seems very stubborn about producing for me no matter how much it misfires - I think it needs to be ready to explode before it is going to give me a check engine light for this) to bring it to them but at least they seem aware of the warranty and willing to do something about it provided your vehicle meets the magical diagnostic requirements of which I am unsure of.

Did Lexus ever do anything prior about the carbon problem on your car, like the top engine clean service? Just wondering... mine was running like garbage at around 100,000 km. They did the top engine clean and made it much better - unfortunately it also stopped the check engine light even though it positively did not solve the underlying cause of needing the top engine clean in the first place so effectively getting that "fix" may have screwed me.

Last edited by BinaryJay; 08-29-13 at 06:24 AM.
Old 09-04-13, 09:01 AM
krava
Lead Lap

Default Got car back and done but not very good news

First of all I asked the question: So this problem will never happen again? He didn't want to say yes or no but kind of hinted toward yes because of the way the engine is designed. He said because of the injection system on the car, the gas doesn't get sprayed on the pistons and carbon can still build up. He recommended using gas fuel treatsments every so thousand miles. But if gas doesn't get sprayed on it what is the use? I use 93 octane all the time anyway? He did say that the car did get 140K miles on it before this happened. So I can expect another 140K miles and that is it??? He didn't say anything I can do to prevent this from happening again. Also maybe it is just me but I only got 25.5 mpg coming back from dallas to Shreveport going 75mph on the freeway and never gassing the car at all, I just kind of drifted. Does it have something to do with my wheels going from 16 or 17" to 19" ones I have on now? Should I get another car and use my next 140K miles wisely if that is all I got left? I can use those miles in about 4 years. I don't want to ever have to go through this thing again. I still got to deal with that one dealership here. Remember I went to dallas to buy an Acura RL and saw this one on ebay and I had the cash in hand for that acura and went to the lexus gs300 instead on the next day. I went to the hotel room stayed and then saw that on ebay and went there after I went to the place that had the acura RL and told them I will be back tomorrow. If that RL was any color other then Silver I would have gotten it. I thought the piston rings were a bad design and that was it and if you fixed that you are good to go. I just spent $1500 fixing it up and some of the inside. I got $1,000 tires on it, bought new rims for it got $5000 worth of external upgrades on it and now I might be in trouble? I told them to do everything they could do to the car to make sure I could drive it awhile that included new belts new water pump etc, Doesn't that sound like the thing to do, get everything that could go bad in the engine redone while they are doing it? I even got new spark plugs and I just got them a year or year and half ago.
Old 09-17-13, 06:52 AM
pekala
Driver School Candidate

I took my 2006 GS300 to the local Wilmington, DE Lexus dealer. They connected my car to a computer where the test results were sent to Lexus engineers in California. Based on the test results Lexus agreed to replace the pistons, valve springs and clean the heads.

They had the car for three weeks, and gave me an ES300 loaner. I was invited to meet the mechanic and see the engine almost totally disassembled. I was very impressed with the process and the car runs great!

I am a loyal Lexus owner, we also own a 2008 SC430 and a 2011 GS350.
Old 09-25-13, 08:52 AM
TriniGS
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the recall done about two weeks ago now the car jerks when coming to a stop. The transmission is going from third to first it seems. The behavior is like someone driving stick for the first time. I took the car back in to the dealer but they stated its due to TSB (LSB-0126-12 - Hash 2-1 Downshift when coming to a stop).

My option were to either pay 1500 for an ECU plus the labor cost or drive the car as is. I'm Currently speaking with Lexus Corp now.

Have any one had this issue after the recall work or was it just coincidence it occurred after ?????

This is exactly how my car is behaving.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...and-1st-2.html
Old 09-25-13, 11:58 AM
sirblinks
Lexus Test Driver

I had similar symptoms, they told me its my solenoids, or worse case, my tranny. Hope this isn't the case for you bud!
Old 10-02-13, 06:38 PM
9LexusLife
Driver School Candidate

Taking my car in tomorrow..
I will update later with my experience.
Old 10-04-13, 09:29 AM
ryan78
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My GS has had the recall work done twice, and after taking it back to the dealer the third time for oil consumption - bone dry after 1.5 weeks - I was told that the block needed to be replaced to the tune of $13000. I think I will be getting rid of this car. 13k seems ridiculous. You can buy a GM crate motor for 3K...
Old 10-04-13, 12:57 PM
gojeezy123
Driver

Originally Posted by TriniGS
I had the recall done about two weeks ago now the car jerks when coming to a stop. The transmission is going from third to first it seems. The behavior is like someone driving stick for the first time. I took the car back in to the dealer but they stated its due to TSB (LSB-0126-12 - Hash 2-1 Downshift when coming to a stop).

My option were to either pay 1500 for an ECU plus the labor cost or drive the car as is. I'm Currently speaking with Lexus Corp now.

Have any one had this issue after the recall work or was it just coincidence it occurred after ?????

This is exactly how my car is behaving.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...and-1st-2.html
had the csp done in july.. i think im starting to experience this as well
not sure how to approach this, kinda scared to find out what the problem is when i take it in lol
Old 10-07-13, 04:20 AM
hieu
Rookie

Car is finally in the shop getting fix after my car been losing oil (about a quart to be exact) it been in the shop for over a week already. Let's see how the car will turn out after I get it back. It have over 130k miles
Old 10-13-13, 05:37 AM
EDonnelly
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2000 GS300 just hit 170k only thing I had to do to it is replace O2 sensor haven't had issue with oil pressure is it a common thing?
Old 10-27-13, 02:34 PM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the rings replaced about 10000 miles ago. I had opted to replace the drive belt and sparkplugs but not the water pump as the car still has extended warranty. During a recent oil change, the tech found the water pump leaking.so, it should be replaced under warranty. I checked the dipstick prior to going to the deadealer and the oil still looked full. Of course, it could have been overfilled at the last oil change. I am going to double check the fill level this time before leaving the dealer. I use high test religiously and wonder if the carbon buildup and ring failure are something I need to worry about. I have 92000 miles and the car is not driven hard very often save for the occasional kick down for hwy passing when I have slow movers around me.
Old 10-27-13, 03:17 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by ingoodtime
I had the rings replaced about 10000 miles ago. I had opted to replace the drive belt and sparkplugs but not the water pump as the car still has extended warranty. During a recent oil change, the tech found the water pump leaking.so, it should be replaced under warranty. I checked the dipstick prior to going to the deadealer and the oil still looked full. Of course, it could have been overfilled at the last oil change. I am going to double check the fill level this time before leaving the dealer. I use high test religiously and wonder if the carbon buildup and ring failure are something I need to worry about. I have 92000 miles and the car is not driven hard very often save for the occasional kick down for hwy passing when I have slow movers around me.

The harder you push your engine the less carbon you will have.
Old 11-02-13, 05:56 PM
crump06
Driver School Candidate

Lexus of Orange Park Florida took my car in about 4,000 miles ago. My experience was not all that great. They were quick to say they would perform the recall for me free of charge. They of course recommended I change my sparkplugs and water pump. I obliged and they called me about 3 weeks later and said they were ready to perform the service. Two weeks later I receive a call from the rep that they have completed the work but the check engine light was on. They said there was a new update that my car needed in order to turn it off. I told them I did not give you the car with a check engine light, why should I pay for you to return it to me with a check engine light on? He said let me see what I can do. Two days later I received a voicemail saying my car was ready for pickup. I went in to pay the 3 hundred plus dollars they quoted me for the work. They added in a 02 sensor. They said the check engine light was because one of the 02 sensors was bad, and also my exhaust system was now loud because it needed to be replaced. My bill was 500 and I was pretty upset that they went ahead and charged me for a part that was not broken when I gave them the car. My car sounded horrible because of the exhaust now. I asked why it was so much louder and they said it was because the engine is stronger now and your exhaust system needed to be replaced. I took my car to a muffler place and they fixed it for 50 bucks. My gas mileage was usually around 25mpg or better when I brought it in. For the first few thousand miles after the service, I was averaging 20mpg or less. I noticed my mpg goes down a lot when I'm going from a dead stop to 35mph. It did not do that previously. Also if I let it idle for a few minutes the Mpg starts going down fairly quickly. Anyhow, now I'm at about 22 to 23mpg and on occasions it will go to 25mpg very rare occasions. It sucks that my gas mileage decreased since the service, but the car does run a whole lot smoother and it is quieter. I definitely will not take my car back to Orange Park Lexus anymore. I was dissatisfied with the way they made me pay for a part that was fine when I dropped the car off. They wouldn't even entertain the possibility that their techs may have screwed the sensor up somehow. Hopefully after the first oil change my gas mileage will go up. If it continues to go down I think I may just trade the car in.

Last edited by crump06; 11-02-13 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-11-13, 12:51 PM
KMAI0605
Driver School Candidate

guess the 07 gs350 or mine in particular was not effected....i never got a notice or experianced those problems

Quick Reply: FINALLY....Recall on GS300 engine misfire