GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
Old 12-16-14, 12:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides

Print Wikipost

FINALLY....Recall on GS300 engine misfire

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-12, 11:37 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jay, who are you in contact with?
Lexus customer service agents/supervisor, or higher up?
If you're at the bottom rung in Lex Corp, then maybe you need to get proactive in escalating it up the food chain, even writing to the CEO.
Is there a national or provincial car magazine or consumer action group?
If so, see if they would like to take the matter on, esp if it has the potential to affect many owners.
Old 12-17-12, 08:36 AM
bonobob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus customer support program; eng misfire & rough idle

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Still nothing up north and no response from Lexus when I sent them an email asking about it... safe to assume at this point maybe they are ignoring it up here. Oh well. Will still drive the car until it is a piece of garbage.

A few weeks ago I had a problem with Lexus of Dayton in reference to the rough idle when stopping and starting on my GS300. The original customer service rep was not helpful and I left. I returned meeting with the customer service rep I normally deal with. He handled the problem as he has always done in the past. I recant any derogatory remarks I made about Lexus of Dayton. Parts are on order and hopefully my Lexus will be purring in about 3 months. Pays to deal with someone you have confidence in. Thanks Mike.

bonobob
Old 12-17-12, 05:03 PM
Nzaw4
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys,

New user here.

Recently bought my first Lexus, which was a 2006 GS300 RWD, with about 69k in miles.

When i was test driving the CPO gs300, the VSC/maintinace light came on. Since day one, i have fell in love with the 3rd gen GS's. So in my mind it was already made up, especially with the fact that Lexus Carlsbad told me that they will fix that issue, but also repaint my front end for free!

Bought the car in October, have only driven my car for about a week and a half. The reason is beucase the service manager dosnt want me driving the car i just bought with these issues, and has given me 4 different loaners since! (2 ES350's, IS250, and currently a CT200h)

I love the level of professional service these guys have given me.

So i received a call from my service manager, they received in the parts in last week, just put the car together, and now the car is hitting the body shop for a new coat of paint! Will finally have my baby back i hope right before Christmas!

I might have gotten preferable treatment due to the fact that i did just purchase that car, but don't give up guys if you truly have this issue!

As stated earlier in this thread by multiple people, reach out to corporate, send letters, make sure you voice is heard! Just please be nice about it!
Old 12-18-12, 07:48 AM
jamessouza
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jamessouza
Any idea as to the cost for labor that the dealer might charge on an alternator installation? Book time??
Any idea as to the cost for labor that the dealer might charge on an alternator installation? Book time??
Old 12-18-12, 09:02 AM
charmz
Lead Lap

Still nothing up north and no response from Lexus when I sent them an email asking about it... safe to assume at this point maybe they are ignoring it up here. Oh well. Will still drive the car until it is a piece of garbage.
Also have misfire codes, and having same problem with lexus canada, just sent another email.
Now what?

Last edited by charmz; 12-18-12 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-18-12, 04:44 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by charmz
Also have misfire codes, and having same problem with lexus canada, just sent another email.
Now what?
I dunno, nothing. Lexus corporate up here takes no responsibility they give all the power to the dealerships - their response about everything every time I've wrote/called them has been "take it to the dealership and speak to a service rep".

Back when I was first trying to get this rough idle thing resolved before when the only fix was the top engine clean (and that had not even made a tsb in canada yet) I had spoken to like 5 dealerships in the city and eventually they started saying "you're the guy that asked other dealerships about this". Apparently the corporate guy that manages warranty in the region was aware of my efforts and they made it sound like I was doing something wrong by speaking to more than one place to try to find somebody willing to help me.

As much as I like the idea of Lexus and like the car, I am just not sold on their customer service up here any more - they are just great when you're within the comprehensive factory warranty period but after that they disappear unless you're willing to pony up huge bucks even on this kind of stuff that Lexus US deems worthy of customer care.
Old 12-18-12, 08:25 PM
charmz
Lead Lap

Maybe I should trade my 3GS back in for my 2GS....
Old 12-19-12, 07:39 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Jay, did you ever take my advice, above?
There are many ways to skin the proverbial cat - including the parent company in Japan.
Make as much of a nuisance of yourself as you can possibly, and I'm certain you'll get listened to.
Old 12-19-12, 12:45 PM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by Boron
Jay, did you ever take my advice, above?
There are many ways to skin the proverbial cat - including the parent company in Japan.
Make as much of a nuisance of yourself as you can possibly, and I'm certain you'll get listened to.
At this point, I have had so much going on with life that I haven't had the time or energy to do anything more. I figure, I will give Lexus Canada some more time to "catch up" and perhaps I will just automagically get that letter in the mail someday. As of right now the car drives pretty well due to the bandaid top engine clean fix, I don't know if it burns oil or not because I put so little mileage on it between regular oil changes, really I am just concerned about the long term and obviously would like a "permanant" fix for this known problem as I'm very uninterested in selling the car.

Well, I might want to trade for a truck eventually - getting to that point in life where it actually makes sense - but this darn car has two nearly brand new sets of tires that I would like to burn through first (which is gonna take quite a while at my rate...!)

When i finally do it though... do I like the GX and LX --- Yes --- but at this point one of them is no longer a shoe-in for me.

Last edited by BinaryJay; 12-19-12 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-19-12, 12:49 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

At this point, I have had so much going on with life that I haven't had the time or energy to do anything more. I figure, I will give Lexus Canada some more time to "catch up" and perhaps I will just automagically get that letter in the mail someday. As of right now the car drives pretty well due to the bandaid top engine clean fix, I don't know if it burns oil or not because I put so little mileage on it between regular oil changes, really I am just concerned about the long term and obviously would like a "permanant" fix for this known problem as I'm very uninterested in selling the car.

Drive the car hard! That will help burn off carbon deposits.

Also worst case you can probably take it to a bmw/mini dealer and ask them to preform a top engine clean. They use a special pressurized walnut chip sprayer. Sprays walnuts into your engine and clean out carbon build up.
Old 12-19-12, 07:26 PM
Rusty9359
Driver School Candidate

i just got a 06 gs300 this week for a killer price, it has 130k miles and misfires all the times especially when cold, what are the chances the dealer helping me out?
Old 12-19-12, 08:31 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

As per your other thread, speak with the dealer, and check your consumer laws for being sold a vehicle unfit for purpose.
Outside of that, consider the likes of the BG Products (beginning to sound like a broken record here!) Induction Service - BG should be able to inform you as to whom in your locale offers it.
Old 12-19-12, 09:49 PM
charmz
Lead Lap

Dear Mr. ______:

Thank you for your recent correspondence.

Please be assured that we certainly do not like to see our guests experience the frustration and inconvenience that are associated with unexpected repairs. It is the desire of Lexus Canada to provide sound, durable and reliable vehicles which will require a minimum of service and not only meet, but exceed our guests' expectations. However, there remain instances, such as you have encountered, where difficulties will arise.

We would like to take this opportunity to explain that Lexus Canada and Lexus USA are separate business entities, as such, business decisions, like when to release a Customer Support Program (CSP), will vary from entity to entity.

However, we are always interested in guest comments; they are most helpful in improving our product. In fact, most changes are guest-driven. You have given us food for thought, and we are forwarding your concerns to the appropriate departments within Lexus Canada. Should a Customer Support program (CSP) ever be released in Canada for your vehicle, you will be notified by first-class mail.

We thank you again for taking the time to contact us and for allowing us the opportunity to comment.

Sincerely,

John Ross
Customer Interaction Centre
Lexus Canada
Old 12-20-12, 07:09 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Sounds like to me a class action lawsuit in the making! Find a good lawyer
Old 12-21-12, 06:15 AM
BinaryJay

Wow, nobody responded to me ever. Does this John have a direct email address? Hopefully somebody that can do something actually looks into this because of your mail and we can all benefit from it - but I doubt it.

In these days of easy internet communication companies cannot afford to be so disjointed. Finding out that your neighbor is getting consideration for the same problems you're having but you're not just because you're on a different plot of land is kind of a kick in the pants - these things should be offered globally for a global company that sells the same product to everybody.

Originally Posted by charmz
Dear Mr. ______:

Thank you for your recent correspondence.

Please be assured that we certainly do not like to see our guests experience the frustration and inconvenience that are associated with unexpected repairs. It is the desire of Lexus Canada to provide sound, durable and reliable vehicles which will require a minimum of service and not only meet, but exceed our guests' expectations. However, there remain instances, such as you have encountered, where difficulties will arise.

We would like to take this opportunity to explain that Lexus Canada and Lexus USA are separate business entities, as such, business decisions, like when to release a Customer Support Program (CSP), will vary from entity to entity.

However, we are always interested in guest comments; they are most helpful in improving our product. In fact, most changes are guest-driven. You have given us food for thought, and we are forwarding your concerns to the appropriate departments within Lexus Canada. Should a Customer Support program (CSP) ever be released in Canada for your vehicle, you will be notified by first-class mail.

We thank you again for taking the time to contact us and for allowing us the opportunity to comment.

Sincerely,

John Ross
Customer Interaction Centre
Lexus Canada

Last edited by BinaryJay; 12-21-12 at 06:20 AM.

Quick Reply: FINALLY....Recall on GS300 engine misfire