GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
Old 12-16-14, 12:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides

Print Wikipost

FINALLY....Recall on GS300 engine misfire

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-14, 03:44 PM
Stephon937
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Krava thank you for your response. I registered my car with lexus owner and found it's been maintenanced (and originally purchased) at lexus of Easton in columbus ohio. I contacted them an asked if I could have an oil consumption test done. They said they'd be happy to do it but it's gonna cost $119+tax. I was told they will change the oil and top it off and seal the motor up so no oil can be drained an I'd return the vehicle for inspection after putting 1200 miles on it. Is this what you or anyone else had to do? I don't mind the $119+tax, I just want a reliable vehicle
Old 07-24-14, 03:46 PM
Stephon937
Driver School Candidate

Also I haven't had any codes aside from the o2 voltage spike every hard rain. But upon cold start the idle is up and down, not smooth until idle drops
Old 07-25-14, 05:29 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephon937
Also I haven't had any codes aside from the o2 voltage spike every hard rain. But upon cold start the idle is up and down, not smooth until idle drops
I seem to have solved that issue in my car by putting a glob of RTV gasket goop at the end of the rear O2 sensors where the wires enter the sensor. I was grasping at straws when I did it but I haven't had the code since that was maybe 6 months ago?
Old 07-25-14, 02:36 PM
Stephon937
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
I seem to have solved that issue in my car by putting a glob of RTV gasket goop at the end of the rear O2 sensors where the wires enter the sensor. I was grasping at straws when I did it but I haven't had the code since that was maybe 6 months ago?
Thank you so much!!! I've only owned the car 3 weeks an every hard rain it appears (twice so far). This has been driving me insane. Getting in a lexus looking at that light made me not even want to drive the car. I'm going tomorrow to my friends shop to put on the lift and try your method.
Old 07-25-14, 04:50 PM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by Stephon937
Thank you so much!!! I've only owned the car 3 weeks an every hard rain it appears (twice so far). This has been driving me insane. Getting in a lexus looking at that light made me not even want to drive the car. I'm going tomorrow to my friends shop to put on the lift and try your method.
You don't need a lift, you can easily get to them just by laying on the ground under the driver and front passenger doors. You don't even need to jack it up. It was only giving me the code for one side repeatedly but I just gooped up both sides with the cheapest engine gasket RTV on the shelf.

Last edited by BinaryJay; 07-25-14 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-26-14, 08:06 PM
Stephon937
Driver School Candidate

You don't need a lift, you can easily get to them just by laying on the ground under the driver and front passenger doors. You don't even need to jack it up. It was only giving me the code for one side repeatedly but I just gooped up both sides with the cheapest engine gasket RTV on the shelf.
Ok I'm going to try it first thing tomorrow then monday schedule my oil consumption test and hopefully get some good news
Old 07-26-14, 10:23 PM
krava
Lead Lap

I was going to do the oil consumption test but sewell lexus decided to put the car on the computer to read any misfires and after that they had a lot of misfires and I ended up not doing the oil consumption test and they told me to leave it and come back and they will fix it and no longer needed to do the oil consumption test since they saw these misfires. The car has to misfire enough to put the check engine light on but there is a boundary somewhere between no misfires and the check engine light that they will fix this problem
Old 07-26-14, 10:26 PM
krava
Lead Lap

you should have told them, if you car fails the oil consumption test will they do this procedure. if they said yes go ahead and prove to them this has a problem
Old 07-27-14, 06:05 AM
Stephon937
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=krava;8643479]you should have told them, if you car fails the oil consumption test will they do this procedure. if they said yes go ahead and prove to them this has a problem[/QUOTE

I haven't scheduled it yet so I'll ask them before I schedule it. If they say no I'll try another one we have 2 more with in an hour from my home
Old 07-30-14, 06:04 AM
BinaryJay

From looking at the internal documents for this service on alldata, I got the distinct impression that although the fix for oil consumption and misfires are the same if you have issues with oil consumption without misfires it is NOT covered.

Anyhow I finally found a dealership at least willing to humor me and look at the car to do some "tests" for a nominal fee to see if they can cover this repair for me. I fear that since I had the top engine clean done not too much mileage ago that they will end up not finding what they need to see. Anybody have any tips to try to ensure the likelihood that the car will be misbehaving on that day would be appreciated. Ever since they did the top engine clean, the issue has been much more infrequent and subtle compared to the outright feeling that it was going to stall out on me at stop lights prior.
Old 07-30-14, 10:06 AM
snoop562
Pole Position

From looking at the internal documents for this service on alldata, I got the distinct impression that although the fix for oil consumption and misfires are the same if you have issues with oil consumption without misfires it is NOT covered.

Anyhow I finally found a dealership at least willing to humor me and look at the car to do some "tests" for a nominal fee to see if they can cover this repair for me. I fear that since I had the top engine clean done not too much mileage ago that they will end up not finding what they need to see. Anybody have any tips to try to ensure the likelihood that the car will be misbehaving on that day would be appreciated. Ever since they did the top engine clean, the issue has been much more infrequent and subtle compared to the outright feeling that it was going to stall out on me at stop lights prior.
just dopped off my car monday and they said its approved for the piston rings and valve springs, i orinally wanted oil consumption test but didnt feel any misfires. they told me without the misfires they wont cover it just for oil consumption. so they did the misfire test instead and got approved. should be ready thursday ill you guys know how it goes.
Old 07-30-14, 10:43 AM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by snoop562
just dopped off my car monday and they said its approved for the piston rings and valve springs, i orinally wanted oil consumption test but didnt feel any misfires. they told me without the misfires they wont cover it just for oil consumption. so they did the misfire test instead and got approved. should be ready thursday ill you guys know how it goes.
Well that's encouraging (that you didn't really feel them but apparently they were enough). I guess in my case it boils down to exactly what causes the misfires... are the misfires caused by carbon buildup on the valves which is caused by the piston rings, or is it caused just by the simple presence of piston rings not seating correctly (compression issues). Hopefully it is the latter and that the top engine clean would not have masked the issue.

I really want this done, not because of any particularly bad driving concerns (at the moment) but more for peace of mind continuing to own this car going forward - I am in no rush to replace it at all.
Old 07-30-14, 12:13 PM
snoop562
Pole Position

i love my gs as well but i did consider selling it if the oil consumption was drastic and the repair didnt get approved.
Old 07-30-14, 03:17 PM
Stephon937
Driver School Candidate

So I guess I should scratch the oil consumption test and ask for the misfire test instead? If this isn't fixed I'll be more than disappointed, I really like this car but not enough to deal with this type of problem. I'm almost 100% certain the crappy total care warranty will do nothing to help in this matter. I've read people having the oil consumption problem and being refused because no misfire but contacting some company and getting an approval. This my first lexus so I literally know only what I'm reading. Hopefully this is resolved
Old 07-30-14, 05:21 PM
warandcar
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all this sucks…. should've bought an avalon...

Quick Reply: FINALLY....Recall on GS300 engine misfire