GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
Old 12-16-14, 12:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides

Print Wikipost

FINALLY....Recall on GS300 engine misfire

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-12, 07:05 PM
energie8
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Is this for Canada too?
Old 09-19-12, 09:46 AM
sklexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does it included canadian gs's???
Old 09-19-12, 02:33 PM
stefnee
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Took the car in to the dealership. They did see a misfire. And said that MAY be why the low engine oil light kept coming on.

Said they would have the car for about a week. No new GS for loaner so I am in a hybrid RX.
Old 09-19-12, 03:31 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wow, it took them this long? amazing.

I forgot if my Camry '07 with the same engine was also recall this misfire. That Camry was the worst of all the Camry model. Misfire, oil line burst, and a few others. All common problems. I sold that Camry to get my current GS430. with reliable problem.

Sadly my GS430's alternator was shot last week.
Old 09-19-12, 08:21 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Canada seems to be behind always on these things, so it may or may not come here and it may or may not take weeks or months. I brought my car in for these issues multiple times and had it "fixed" multiple times ... valve springs (not the 350 recall ones), top engine clean... it is better but it still stutters on me.

I have no idea if it stutters enough for them to "reproduce" it, or if I'd have no problem getting this more extensive service done BECAUSE I have such a history of them trying to deal with this same problem. Hopefully the latter, as I'd like to know I just have the redesigned rings in the car and maybe just put the issue to bed for good.
Old 09-20-12, 09:35 AM
energie8
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by stefnee
Took the car in to the dealership. They did see a misfire. And said that MAY be why the low engine oil light kept coming on.

Said they would have the car for about a week. No new GS for loaner so I am in a hybrid RX.
I hear a lot of people getting different loaners meanwhile I've been getting the ES every time, I'm getting bored of it lol, are you allowed to ask the dealer for different loaner cars?
Old 09-20-12, 12:06 PM
caveman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by energie8
I hear a lot of people getting different loaners meanwhile I've been getting the ES every time, I'm getting bored of it lol, are you allowed to ask the dealer for different loaner cars?
sure you can. next time just ask your SA about what loaners are available.
i've done it on multiple occasions.
Old 09-20-12, 01:45 PM
gojeezy123
Driver

• Intermittently runs rough after coming to a stop with the engine at operating temperature .

damn, im pretty sure ive noticed this on my gs300 here and there, but nothin in the mail yet.. i checked lexusdrivers.com and also it has nothin for my vin
Old 09-20-12, 01:49 PM
gojeezy123
Driver

yah man, you just have to ask... they were going to give me an IS which ive already driven before, so i asked and took the CT instead lol, other choice was an RX... CT was pretty fun, like a little go-cart lol
Old 09-20-12, 01:50 PM
BinaryJay

I've got ES every time too. Doesn't even feel like you're driving a lexus.

Hope I get this letter eventually... probably going to take a while ... if ever. :|
Old 09-20-12, 04:49 PM
Driver School Candidate

ahhhhh. i hope i get this letter as well. i can feel it in my 06 gs300.. Is there a way i can bring it in and get it checked without having to pay a check up fee?
Old 09-20-12, 06:46 PM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the car in a few times but all the new loaner cars GS were already out on loan. So, I have to been able to drive one yet. They did have one in their preowned are with 9000 miles on it. I think it was about 48-49 grand.stillma little rich for my blood. Maybe another CPO Ina few more years...then again, with the price of fuel, who really wants to have to buy premium fuel.plus by then, I might need a car that gets some uber mileage.
Old 09-20-12, 07:10 PM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by 0975788
ahhhhh. i hope i get this letter as well. i can feel it in my 06 gs300.. Is there a way i can bring it in and get it checked without having to pay a check up fee?
That's the rub especially with an issue like this that is impossible to really reproduce with any kind of certainty or regularity. Closest thing that I can point to that shows it is on cold soak startup my RPM always bounces around by a couple hundred rpm before it warms up and settles down. After all of the other stuff that was previously done to "cure" the issue I haven't had the shudders coming to a stop that I used to have but I'm sure it's just a matter of time/miles so I'm really interested in getting the new piston rings as I hope to just keep this car for the long haul.

So just fingers crossed that this thing trickles down to Lexus Canada eventually, I'll give it until the end of winter or something and then just ask about it if I haven't heard from Lexus at all.
Old 09-20-12, 08:49 PM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by worker
wow, it took them this long? amazing.

I forgot if my Camry '07 with the same engine was also recall this misfire. That Camry was the worst of all the Camry model. Misfire, oil line burst, and a few others. All common problems. I sold that Camry to get my current GS430. with reliable problem.

Sadly my GS430's alternator was shot last week.
Your Camry never had this engine in it. This engine was ONLY in the 06 GS in North America.

The GS and the Camry share no parts that make them go.
The following users liked this post:
and3re (10-06-21)
Old 09-21-12, 08:12 AM
BinaryJay

Also just wanted to add that I got overly excited by the title calling this a recall, which it isn't even close to being. Please change it.

Quick Reply: FINALLY....Recall on GS300 engine misfire