GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
Old 12-16-14, 12:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides

Print Wikipost

FINALLY....Recall on GS300 engine misfire

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-13, 09:08 AM
CRAB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't like the idea of using additives in my combustion chamber to "break down lots of carbon". Where's it going to go? I bet my failed cat could tell you. By the way, dealer cost to replace a cat is $2k each and you have 4 of them. Probably not a big deal with a low mile car that doesn't burn oil or a car that isn't so picky such as my '68 and '73 Bronco. Just my opinion........
Old 01-16-13, 09:22 AM
LexiLex
Driver School Candidate

Is the the slight vibration that I feel when I roll the windows up, turn on my lights or press the breaks? Or is this something else?
Old 01-16-13, 10:06 PM
yoondog
Driver

Finally had time to drop off my car after getting this letter a few months back. Also got my 85k oil maintenance service as well since I had the prepaid service on it. Technician said he test drove it and found the rough idle. They have to replace something in one the pistons and that it would take a couple of days. I got a 2013 GS350 loaner which I'm in love it!
Old 01-16-13, 10:11 PM
fventura03
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

happened to me once (rough idle), but it only lasted like 5 seconds, VSC Light/CEL went on, haven't seen it since.
Old 01-17-13, 09:42 AM
aett258
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aett258
I reside in Canada and have brought my 2006 GS300 (US car) to the dealership to do a oil consumption test due to excecive oil consumption (Nov 19th, 2012). They told me to bring it back after 1,000 km where they will check the oil level. I did have rough idling issues also but not that much. The service rep did tell me that my warranty is up which I knew. I knew about these issues but did not mention the CSP or anything else that I found out from this and other forums. I will wait to see what they say when they discover my oil is burning. I know that will be the conclusion since I had to add 6 qrts of oil between oil changes. And no, there are no indicationsof leaking oil or black smoke. Question to members: Has any one have thiere vehicles repaired due to oil loss only?
It's been 1k miles later. They added oil and asked me to come back in another 1k miles. Here we go again. Hope they recognise that this is a latent defect with thier piston rings and fix it at no cost. I hope they treat us Canadians similarly like they did in the States. I did not mention the US CSP or anything else. I will wait to see what they tell me 1k miles from now. I will keep you posted.
Old 01-17-13, 05:03 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It's been 1k miles later. They added oil and asked me to come back in another 1k miles. Here we go again. Hope they recognise that this is a latent defect with thier piston rings and fix it at no cost. I hope they treat us Canadians similarly like they did in the States. I did not mention the US CSP or anything else. I will wait to see what they tell me 1k miles from now. I will keep you posted.
Thanks for the update. I'm really interested in knowing what they end up doing for you, please PM me when you update if you remember.
Old 01-17-13, 09:46 PM
fventura03
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

wow, this sounds like something mine is doing, 1500 miles ago i checked my levels, seemed ok. i checked two days ago because my oil light was going on, i had to add 2 quarts. not sure if i mis-read the dip stick, or i am burning oil.

car has 160k miles, if this keeps up, going to have to take it in to lexus...
Old 01-19-13, 07:22 AM
G0DZULU
Driver School Candidate

Nalley Lexus of Roswell, Ga told me that there is carbon buildup and said it would be a charge to remove. Blew the letter off as nothing important.
Old 01-19-13, 07:49 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by G0DZULU
Nalley Lexus of Roswell, Ga told me that there is carbon buildup and said it would be a charge to remove. Blew the letter off as nothing important.
Try speaking to the Service manager, if no luck go to another dealer.
Old 01-19-13, 11:04 AM
01gs3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Read through the thread and I may have overlooked it, but what if you never received a letter? My wifes car was bought from a private party and experiences the misfire symptoms.

Just contact Lexus Corp. And ask?

06 GS300 rwd 134k mi.
Old 01-19-13, 05:35 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by 01gs3
Read through the thread and I may have overlooked it, but what if you never received a letter? My wifes car was bought from a private party and experiences the misfire symptoms.

Just contact Lexus Corp. And ask?

06 GS300 rwd 134k mi.
Just take it to the dealer, and tell them
Old 01-20-13, 12:09 PM
aett258
Driver School Candidate

Found this on the IS forum which is similar to the GS issue regarding oil consumption and what the dealer does in regards to the test. From service bulletin L-SB-0124-12:
Perform an oil consumption test to determine the consumption rate.
1. Confirm the engine oil level is full.
2. Mark the oil dipstick to indicate the current level.
3. Replace the oil dipstick.
4. Mark the oil dipstick, oil drain plug, and oil fill cap to prevent/indicate tampering during the test.
HINT
Use tape, sealer, cable ties, or equivalent to mark the oil dipstick, oil drain plug, and oil fill cap.
5. Advise the customer to drive the vehicle normally for 1,200 miles and return for inspection

Diagnostic Procedure B (Continued)
6. Determine the quantity of oil that was consumed in 1,200 miles.
Was the oil level more than 1 quart low after 1,200 miles of normal driving?
• YES — Go to the Repair Procedure.
• NO — This bulletin does NOT apply. Warranty guideline for acceptable oil consumption is
1 quart per 1,200 miles of operation. No warranty claim should be filed.
Old 01-21-13, 08:14 AM
01gs3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Just take it to the dealer, and tell them
Thanks, I appreciate the tip.
Old 01-22-13, 04:28 PM
joeandchar
Driver School Candidate

I got mine back from the dealer today. They also replaced the valve springs. Here are my initial impressions:

1. The insane valve noise is gone.
2. The throttle reaction seems much better.
3. My fuel mileage has increased about 4 MPG.
4. The engine seems much smoother under load.

It still has a "stumble" when cold, so I may have another issue that I will need to address.

Many thanks to Tom William Lexus for doing this for me. It has restored my faith in Lexus.
Old 01-22-13, 10:20 PM
Janet512
Driver School Candidate

Angry engine misfire recall

I been having this problem for over a year, three trips to the dealer and they tell me my car is fine and blame it on the rims i have on.

This is so annoying....

Quick Reply: FINALLY....Recall on GS300 engine misfire