GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Is this a sign of TPMS failure?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-12, 04:01 PM
tekkie
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a sign of TPMS failure?

This moring I got a low pressure warning pops up, When I checked the pressure, the rear driver side was a little low (24.9 psi compared to 29.5 psi on all others), so I re-adjust all wheels to 33 psi and peform the initial pressure procedure. However, as soon as the message "initial pressure" appears, the low pressure message would immediately follow. I believed I have followed the procedure corectly; check all pressure to be 33 psi, turn car to IG-ON, press and hold the reset button until the "tire" icon blinks 3 times and see the "initial pressure" message comes up, but it is immediately followed by "low pressure" warning. I have tried to turn the car off and on again and drive it a bit, but the low pressure warning is still there. Is this a sign of a TPMS failure?
Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 09-16-12, 10:07 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine did something opposite to that the other day - pumped the tyres up as per the door card, to 39 and 41 psi (F/R).
All going well until 60-70 miles into the journey........let some out to make them 37/39, allowing for increased temp - so should've been 34-35/36-38.
Light still on, so left it overnight at the hotel we where staying in.
Didn't use the car next day, but later that night, decided to load some stuff back into it, saving time and struggle in the morning.
Cold pressures were only 0.5-1 psi lower - so dropped them to 34/37, turned electrics on - still warning light!
Started car, still the same after checking routine done - set about setting nav to next day's destination.
Within 30-60 secs of engine running, lights disappeared, and have been since.

On day of purchase, car flashed up the same warning - pressures low, so pumped up (but forget what to - 33/37? as they were well under 30 after 250 odd miles!)

Point of all that above is to demonstrate I've touched nothing, and the warning has cleared itself.
However, I've yet to see the "initial pressure" displayed, and for my own "issue" described, would be interested to know if there's an upper limit set too.
Don't quite know why that should be required, but then I use a TP gauge accurate to 0.5psi rather than rely solely on the airline's gauge.
Old 09-17-12, 05:11 AM
tekkie
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine says to set to 33 psi (cold). Did you set yours that high because of the heavier load?
I wonder if there is a computer learning phase before it registers and set the pressure readings in the computer.
As for not seeing the message "initial pressure", did you press and hold the reset button for at least 3 blinks on the tire icon?
I use a digital gauge as well but not too sure what its tolerance is. However, I made sure all tire have the same pressure.
Today I drove to work (about 21 miles), but the warning is still on. I have an appointment with the dealer to replace the front driver's shock this coming Wednesday, so if it does not diappear by then , I'll let them have a look.
Old 09-17-12, 06:08 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Same psi - presume you've an AWD model then?
Think I'll have to start reading the owners manual, as I wasn't aware of the reset button procedure.
I chose the highest pressure for fully laden, but the car wasn't - just me and the missus, and some hand luggage/cooler bag.
Figured should help increase mpg a tad, but still puzzled why it reared its head a good distance into the journey, rather than a few miles later or immediately.
Old 09-17-12, 07:47 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Think I've potentially sussed out why my TPMS gave me cause for concern......

System Malfunction
The system will be disabled in the conditions below:
  • Electric devices or facilities using similar radio wave frequencies are nearby.
  • If a radio set at similar freuencies is in use.

Just so happened to be driving toward a police station when the system jumped into action.
So, I think I'll presume there's no need to do the reset (as per page 407), and I'll re-inflate the tyres to a higher psi, and see how that goes.
On my drive home on the day of picking up the car, I wonder if that was the same story, rather than the tyres being down to around the 28 psi mark, since I don't recall seeing "low tire" displayed - just the malfunction "check system" and lights on the cluster.
Hmmm........?

On low pressure, it does say the "low tire" display will cease after a few minutes of being inflated.
Old 09-17-12, 07:55 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Just one thing for your situation, why did you re-initialise the TPMS after re-inflating the tyres?
It only needs doing if you replace the tyres or rotate them.

As per the manual, don't turn off the engine for 20 minutes once the Initialisation process is started.
Funnily though, there's no mention of driving off, so it must be presumed doing so won't affect the process, even though we all know tyre pressures increase as tyre temps go up.

Give that a go, hit the freeway for 20-30 mins drive at a steady speed, and see if the display disappears.
Check pressures later when cooled to make sure you don't have a leaking valve or puncture.