GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Red / black gs!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-12, 07:53 PM
baLex460
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red / black gs!

Hey CL
I've had A LOT of questions about my car but didn't ask any of them because they had been asked and answered somewhere in the forums. Major thanks to everyone here. Well here's a little update of what is done to my gs so far.*

8k running and headlights*
3k fogs
35% tint all around
Painted rims and trim
Debadged

Getting new rotors, calipers, and pads before winter. Not too sure which ones yet.*

Going to lower it on df210's and get wheel spacers sooner or later. Not sure on which wheel spacers either.*

Well here's some pics, thanks!*

http://s1144.photobucket.com/albums/...cpZZ2QQtppZZ16
Old 09-03-12, 12:09 AM
AustinSBP
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

PLEASE let that be plastidip on the factory wheels.
overspray def got on your car if you painted that in your garage

your car is in great condition.. ill be waiting to see the mods when you add them
Old 09-05-12, 03:05 PM
baLex460
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AustinSBP
PLEASE let that be plastidip on the factory wheels.
overspray def got on your car if you painted that in your garage

your car is in great condition.. ill be waiting to see the mods when you add them
I use plastidip for everything I painted. I'm not about to risk painting with real paint myself. Lol I wouldve gotten it done professionally if I was going to use real paint
Old 09-06-12, 06:13 AM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 09-06-12, 06:59 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

How hard is it to take the plastidip off the wheels if you ever wanted to remove it, and on that same note, how durable is it?

-Joe
Old 09-30-12, 10:16 PM
baLex460
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jamodeo
How hard is it to take the plastidip off the wheels if you ever wanted to remove it, and on that same note, how durable is it?

-Joe

hey joe, sorry for late reply but its quite easy to remove but very durable if it's properly applied. i personally NEVER get curb rash but when washing the rims, i scrub them quite hard and i was with a pressure washer and i havent had any problems with it. only thing i dont like is that they get dirty fast. just dont use any wheel polish or cleaner on it. i did that once and it messed up the plastidip and i had to peel it all off and repaint them
Old 09-30-12, 11:56 PM
xmike714x
Pole Position

where can you buy plastic dip....btw like how the rims turned out.
Old 10-01-12, 12:22 AM
aLexGS350
Lead Lap

any more pictures of the car from a distance with all the black accents?
Old 10-01-12, 08:26 AM
baLex460
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xmike714x
where can you buy plastic dip....btw like how the rims turned out.
Thanks!
I buy plasti-dip from Home Depot. It's about $5 a can. I would suggest buying 4 cans for a set of rims so just in case you mess up, you don't have to go running to the store.
Old 10-01-12, 08:35 AM
baLex460
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aLexGS350
any more pictures of the car from a distance with all the black accents?
Yeah sure

And i re did the front grill. Many people were suggesting I painted the emblem black also since that was the last of the chrome on the car. Then I got a little carried away and did the engine cover emblem too. Lol

Old 10-01-12, 11:43 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You've some big ***** ballebrarr - no way could I do that to your car if I had it.
In my opinion, you've just wiped $3K off the value, if not more.

I'm all for everyone doing their own thing, but that's just plain madness on such a nice car.

I know it can be reversed, at the expense of a fair bit of hassle and elbow grease, but even so, and in your quest to be/do something different, you've taken a good car and turned it into a meh one.

To be perfectly honest, that's the sort of look and cheap to do mod I'd expect to see done on a 2GS that's had all its depreciation, not a reasonably expensive 3GS.

Last edited by Boron; 10-01-12 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-01-12, 12:11 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

plastidip doesnt come off that easily onces its been on the car for a while espeically on areas that have a lot of detail or in's and out's as it tends to break off in little piece. certainly able to remove it but it starts to become a pain.
Old 10-01-12, 11:33 PM
baLex460
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Boron
You've some big ***** ballebrarr - no way could I do that to your car if I had it.
In my opinion, you've just wiped $3K off the value, if not more.

I'm all for everyone doing their own thing, but that's just plain madness on such a nice car.

I know it can be reversed, at the expense of a fair bit of hassle and elbow grease, but even so, and in your quest to be/do something different, you've taken a good car and turned it into a meh one.

To be perfectly honest, that's the sort of look and cheap to do mod I'd expect to see done on a 2GS that's had all its depreciation, not a reasonably expensive 3GS.
Thank you for your honest opinion
But I don't understand why you think it will reduce the value? It is temporary work that, in the case that I do try to sell(which i don't plan to ever), I can fairly easily remove it.

Idk about where you're from but around where I live, chrome is reserved for the 1980 Hondas and Chevys that have drastically oversized wheels.

I have a video on my computer somewhere that I made of one of the rims that I peeled and repainted. It took less than 5 mins to remove all the plasti dip with one hand (other hand was holding camera)

As far as value goes, I don't plan on selling it. I bought this car to keep it and I will do that so depreciation isn't one of my concerns.

But again, thank you for being honest with your opinion. I'm glad to know what other, more experienced 3GS owners have to say.
Old 10-01-12, 11:35 PM
baLex460
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
plastidip doesnt come off that easily onces its been on the car for a while espeically on areas that have a lot of detail or in's and out's as it tends to break off in little piece. certainly able to remove it but it starts to become a pain.
When the little pieces are left, I find it easier to remove those by rubbing them with a cloth. Makes it MUCH easier. Or if the original surface permits, using a pressure washer.
Old 10-02-12, 04:58 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ballebrarr
Thank you for your honest opinion........[snip]
My point about the value was that in my eyes, in your attempt to make your car individual, you've devalued it if you were to line it up in a row of others of similar age/mileage.

The pearl red is such a beautiful colour when polished up and in the bright sunlight, which the chrome plays off brilliantly in contrast.

I doubt your GS would be confused for something from the '80s, but I hear what you're saying about the bright chrome trim - I just think it accentuates the colour and car's design more than the black.

Still, as long as you're happy, that's all that matters.

Quick Reply: Red / black gs!