GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Fixed My Denso Acctuator for the Recirculation and pics taken!!!

Old 08-13-12, 07:02 PM
1SLOGS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed My Denso Acctuator for the Recirculation and pics taken!!!

Hey All 3GS Members so today i fixed my Broken Actuator arm on my Denso Motor Which turned out to be a 45 min job unlike the dealership ripping everyone off by saying 4 to 5k for fixing the problem and 5hrs of labor was an extra of 2k is what my dealer told me for which they told me that i will need a whole new Blower assembly and glove box. Well they were wrong about the part of the whole new Blower Assembly and stuff instead i went on to Sewell and got this part 8702030020 which is the DAMPER ASSEMBLY, HEATER AIR which is 33.44 bucks without the CL discount and 8710630480 SERVO SUB-ASSEMBLY, DAMPER which came upto 178.37 without CL Discount again. Well let me come to the Point this was an easy job to do i just followed some Instructions off an IS forum to begin with but then i got an hang of how to go about doing it. I cant call it a proper DIY but here are some pics on how i did it and what parts had to be disconnected to doing it plus i only had to change 1 Actuator arm which was of the denso motor and not of the Recirculation Door so i would suggest that before you order parts from Sewell check exactly what is broken so you wouldnt end up ordering stuff that you may not need. Well Anyway Here is the link to the pics so go ahead and check it out. http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/...20DIY%20Denso/ This isnt a proper DIY i have just taken pics of what i was doing in the process so hopefully it helps out. and also Follow this website that i used as reference: http://my.is/forums/f127/is250-air-r...-servo-414274/

Also If anyone has any questions i will try my best to help you out on how you could go about it Just shoot me a PM.

1SloGS.

Last edited by 1SLOGS; 08-14-12 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-14-12, 06:46 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Good job and good to hear you were able to fix it with (relatively) minimal parts costs.

Any chance of larger pictures from the fix? The ones I saw were pretty small and difficult to make out any detail.
Old 08-14-12, 07:45 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by twylie
Any chance of larger pictures from the fix? The ones I saw were pretty small and difficult to make out any detail.
click the photobucket link then click whichever picture you want to see.
Old 08-14-12, 11:27 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hard to tell exactly what to do from just looking at the pictures. If you ever have the time to organize it into a step by step that would be very helpful. I'm in no rush to fix mine since I bet somebody is going to break it again anyway (I caught a mechanic I was paying to do some messy fluid changes "check" my cabin filter for no reason) but I'd like to eventually get around to getting in there... probably laminate a yellow card that says DON'T REMOVE MY CABIN FILTER" and glue it to the back of the glovebox.
Old 08-14-12, 01:49 PM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesome job!! Yeah if you could number the pictures in sequence it would help a lot. I am looking forward to fixing this myself as well.
Old 08-14-12, 02:59 PM
1SLOGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
Awesome job!! Yeah if you could number the pictures in sequence it would help a lot. I am looking forward to fixing this myself as well.
Hey Heres a new Link i have tried my best to organize it as per how did the installation mainly these Photos are reference to which and where the screws come out from. http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/...20DIY%20Denso/

Also i mainly followed the 2IS DIY on how they replaced the Denso so i would also recommend using th 2IS forums for help cause the process it the same in both cars and there were pics too on the 2IS forums which helped me out.
Old 08-14-12, 03:04 PM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Thank you. I'm gonna try to do this this weekend.

Just one question. Will I be able to see the broken arm? Do I need to remove the servo to fix that arm? Will the arm come out as well?

Thanks
Old 08-14-12, 03:10 PM
1SLOGS
Pole Position

Thank you. I'm gonna try to do this this weekend.

Just one question. Will I be able to see the broken arm? Do I need to remove the servo to fix that arm? Will the arm come out as well?

Thanks
Yeah you should be able to see the broken arm once you have unscrewed the Blue colored box which will give you access to the Servo but there one thing to it there's 1 screw which is easily accessible but there's another screw that holds the denso which is on the Inside and is a bit of a tight squeeze so to save time i didnt remove my old servo i just took the actuator arm off of the new servo and put it on the existing one which was it the car and aligned it to the Recirculation door arm where the male actuator goes into the female actuator and that way it moves smoothly. hope this helps.
Old 08-15-12, 06:11 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

When I, just in passing, tried to see how quick I could get in there once upon a time... I thought I could just pull off the very bottom cover easy but I couldn't figure it out and didn't want to force it (even knowing 99% chance it's just held on by clips and forcing it is the only way to get it off). Am I right, you just have to pull down on that cover until it snaps off or is there more to it?
Old 08-15-12, 07:44 AM
1SLOGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
When I, just in passing, tried to see how quick I could get in there once upon a time... I thought I could just pull off the very bottom cover easy but I couldn't figure it out and didn't want to force it (even knowing 99% chance it's just held on by clips and forcing it is the only way to get it off). Am I right, you just have to pull down on that cover until it snaps off or is there more to it?

Yeah that's what I did I just popped the under plate off by just pulling it and I got it but before you do that you need to take the right side panel off and I don't think I came across a screw holding the bottom part. Let me know if you come across any other problems I could probably check it out on my car and let you know
Old 08-15-12, 09:25 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Thank you.

Well I took everything apart, which was super easy, 10 min max. if that.
My broken recirc arm fell on the carpet the moment I took the knee air bag down.

Soooo.....looks like its broken right at the pivoting point of the opening door of the air box.

For now I used EPOXY and glue it back on, waiting for it to dry and see how it works.
Best thing would be to use epoxy and put a long screw through the center, there is actually a slot for it, that would secure it well. Problem is screwing the screw in a bit hard, not enough room for a screw driver, space and all, but still doable.

I was toying with an idea of taking the whole lower unit out, which doesnt look too hard, but wanted to see if this easy route works first. One way or another I am confident that this is fixable

Im gonna give it an hour for epoxy to dry well and then go try things out.

By the way, the recirculation servo is so quiet, I was sure the motor was dead when I was trying to diagnose the problem. So don't think that is your problem.

Will report back soon.
Attached Thumbnails Fixed My Denso Acctuator for the Recirculation and pics taken!!!-photo-2-2-.jpg   Fixed My Denso Acctuator for the Recirculation and pics taken!!!-photo-1-2-.jpg  

Last edited by tbilisi79; 08-15-12 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-15-12, 09:35 AM
1SLOGS
Pole Position

Thank you.

Well I took everything apart, which was super easy, 10 min max. if that.
My broken recirc arm fell on the carpet the moment I took the knee air bag down.

Soooo.....looks like its broken right at the pivoting point of the opening door of the air box.

For now I used EPOXY and glue it back on, waiting for it to dry and see how it works.
Best thing would be to use epoxy and put a long screw through the center, there is actually a slot for it, that would secure it well. Problem is screwing the screw in a bit hard, not enough room for a screw driver, space and all, but still doable.

I was toying with an idea of taking the whole lower unit out, which doesnt look too hard, but wanted to see if this easy route works first. One way or another I am confident that this is fixable

Im gonna give it an hour for epoxy to dry well and then go try things out.

By the way, the recirculation servo is so quiet, I was sure the motor was dead when I was trying to diagnose the problem. So don't think that is your problem.

Will report back soon.
Nope my car is just 1 year old so I didn't have to change the servo motor or anything and plus my motor was working for sure so I didn't take everything out and I agree with you that the space is a tight squeeze and that's a good thing you could get to it and hopefully my pics helped in some way and keep me updated about how your fix goes.
Old 08-15-12, 09:41 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1SLOGS
Nope my car is just 1 year old so I didn't have to change the servo motor or anything and plus my motor was working for sure so I didn't take everything out and I agree with you that the space is a tight squeeze and that's a good thing you could get to it and hopefully my pics helped in some way and keep me updated about how your fix goes.
Your fix inspired me to go ahead and do mine. So thank you. I like buttons and I like my toys and I want them all to WORK!
IS forum guys had a bit more detail and more step by step write up which helped as well. I was deadly afraid of breaking interior clips or parts and then dealing with a rattling interior, BUT, the forum helped and its was a super easy job.
I had to drive to Home depot to get the epoxy, otherwise Id say an 1-2 hour job, depends how fast you want to work and waiting for glue to dry.

Going back to see how things work and if the glue is doing its job of holding the plastic in place.
Old 08-15-12, 09:42 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Originally Posted by BinaryJay

Pull on the cover, slowly one by one the clips will let go, nothing to break there.
Old 08-15-12, 09:53 AM
1SLOGS
Pole Position

One more thing I wanted to say was that disconnect one of the battery terminals so that you don't mess up the knee airbag in anyway

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fixed My Denso Acctuator for the Recirculation and pics taken!!!