GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

led strips?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-12, 01:32 PM
tucker21
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default led strips?

hey guys,

so i've run out of lights to change on my car so was thinking of adding an led strip on the ledge right below the fog lights (well the ledge technically that the fogs rest on) they would go all the way along that space on the bumper where the fogs rest.

kindv hard to explain well but i'm thinking you get my drift.

these won't be the leds that come in the plastic cases its just going to be a naked strip.
i saw one pic of a guy with a set of case enclosed leds in the spot where the fogs normally sit but i haven't seen any with just leds attached to the bumper ledge itself.

was curious if anyone had any pics of it so i could get an idea what it would look like.

google image search has been no help.

cheers.
Old 06-24-12, 04:42 PM
anewname
Rookie

Not sure if you're asking for opinions, but please don't do this.
Old 06-24-12, 07:02 PM
tucker21
Pole Position

and why not? because you don't like it?

anything else you'd like me not to do? just make a list for me.
The following users liked this post:
NormzGS350 (04-01-22)
Old 06-24-12, 07:23 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're mounting this strip on the front, with nothing more than the backing tape supplied/already in situ, I'd be concerned about how long it'd last before it peels away with being washed and caught with the mitt/sponge.
I'm sure CA isn't bone dry all year round, so that's another element to contend with.
And that's presuming the connections between each LED and ultimately the wiring, isn't exposed.

If you were feeling brave, you could get creative and mount them from behind, after drilling holes where you're talking about, and covering the back with silicone mastic.
I'd still be inclined to put a clear silicone grommet in each hole to prevent water ingression.

Anyway, here's a very rough idea of what you're talking about doing...

I pulled the LED image from here - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5701673-post12.html - hence you're not seeing each individual LED chip.
If I get a chance/more time, I'll see if I can make it a little less like I've used white "paint" in Pixelmator.
Old 06-24-12, 07:25 PM
bbond
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wouldn't do it either.... but its your car
Old 06-24-12, 07:34 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I would not do it either but post pics when it's done!

There are a few members here with Benz E-Class LED fogs. That actually looks decent, you will have to replace your fogs though.

Edit: (this is how it looks)

Last edited by SNiiP3R; 06-24-12 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-24-12, 11:14 PM
tucker21
Pole Position

thanks for the feedback guys, def some stuff i need to re-consider before proceeding (i tend to be super impatient and just snap get things done as quickly as possible).

one other idea i've been mulling over was removing the headlights and installing the leds inside the headlights in the same style as the audi headlights.

also considering changing the headlight to the halo projectors and somehow trying to get rid of that atrocious orange reflector (if anyone has any suggestions for the best way of getting rid of the reflector please let me know).

also is there anything cool to be done with the rear LED brake lights? maybe some different configuration or something?

any ideas appreciated as i'm stuck in vegas for a month and on my days off i get super intense urges to do **** to the car (i'm waiting on the serious stuff like suspension and wheels etc till i'm back home as i want to have a local place do the work so i have them available for support and adjustments).
so basically i'm looking for all kinds of minor cosmetic mods i can do to make the car more unique.

nothing brings me greater joy then putting lil touches on the car that most people would never bother doing, and im really into creative applications of LEDs.
Old 06-24-12, 11:44 PM
tucker21
Pole Position

does anyone know if the headlights are perma sealed or is it decently easy to remove them and then reseal them?

i was thinking of putting in some halo LED projectors and trying to remove the orange reflector and curious how difficult this would be.

any info greatly appreciated.
Old 06-25-12, 12:23 AM
Tomcio78
Rookie

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
I would not do it either but post pics when it's done!

There are a few members here with Benz E-Class LED fogs. That actually looks decent, you will have to replace your fogs though.

Edit: (this is how it looks)
Anyone know who makes those led fogs pictured on the white Lexus
Old 06-25-12, 05:11 AM
anewname
Rookie

Originally Posted by tucker21
and why not? because you don't like it?

anything else you'd like me not to do? just make a list for me.
Ok you got me. I'm being preachy. Sorry. Let me explain a bit my disdain for LEDs in particular:

It's all about the execution when it comes to mods. Even if the concept is solid, the fit and finish of the products that target the enthusiast community can vary wildly, and that's still before the installation which is obviously an important piece of the overall execution.

When it comes to this current trend of putting LED strips on everything, I don't particularly like it even when it's stock. The Audis, the latest from Lexus, and Mercedes-Benz managed to take the S-Class and make it look like a Christmas tree from Target.

The fact that Vaistech can't even make their (http://www.vaistech.com/products/vline/vline.php) LED strips look good in their own promotional shots is a testament to my cause.

'course that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Happy modding!
Old 06-25-12, 06:56 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomcio78
Anyone know who makes those led fogs pictured on the white Lexus
Those are ebay replicas of E-class LED's. I've spoke with the owner of that car, he said it was not easy to install them.
Old 06-25-12, 07:28 AM
Brittlesta
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Those are ebay replicas of E-class LED's. I've spoke with the owner of that car, he said it was not easy to install them.
Hi SNiiP3R, do you know how the owner darkened his headlights? Or did he buy it somehwere? Looks damn cool...
Old 06-25-12, 07:37 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Brittlesta
Hi SNiiP3R, do you know how the owner darkened his headlights? Or did he buy it somehwere? Looks damn cool...
its painted. he had a build thread for them.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...or-lenses.html
Old 06-25-12, 09:01 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

IXI, you give me inspiration! Thank you so much, I can't believe I missed this thread hahaha.... TSX-R lenses are dirt cheap too! Will be ordering my set really soon hahaha.
Old 06-25-12, 09:45 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

yea it was an interesting build thats the only reason why i remember he made a thread lol

Quick Reply: led strips?