GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

3M clear bra -- question about fitment (with pix)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-12, 03:24 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default 3M clear bra -- question about fitment (with pix)

Hey guys. I just had a 3M clear bra installed at my dealership on my 06 GS430. I was taking a closer look at it today and I noticed some notches in and around the inner lights and the headlights. Here is a picture of the driver's side head light (I'll post up additional pictures later). Is this the way it's supposed to look? If you have an 06 3GS with a clear bra, can you post up a picture? I'd also like to see what the clear bra looks like on an 08+ as well because I believe the front ends are slightly different in appearance. Thanks for your help.

e
Attached Thumbnails 3M clear bra -- question about fitment (with pix)-photo-resized-.jpg  

Last edited by e-man; 06-22-12 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-22-12, 03:39 PM
AustinSBP
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
Hey guys. I just had a 3M clear bra installed at my dealership on my 06 GS430. I was taking a closer look at it today and I noticed some notches in and around the inner lights and the headlights. Here is a picture of the driver's side inner light (I'll post up additional pictures later). Is this the way it's supposed to look? If you have an 06 3GS with a clear bra, can you post up a picture? I'd also like to see what the clear bra looks like on an 08+ as well because I believe the front ends are slightly different in appearance. Thanks for your help.

e
the notches are for the tight curves of the car. if there wasn't a notch there the bra would begin to bow up over time.
Old 06-22-12, 03:45 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Sorry, here's the driver's side inner light. The picture in the first post is the driver's side headlight.
Attached Thumbnails 3M clear bra -- question about fitment (with pix)-photo3.jpg  
Old 06-22-12, 03:49 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Here is a picture of the bottom of the hood (and yes, I know about the stone chip that's been touched up). Is the bra supposed to come closer to the edge? It seems like the edge would be vulnerable to chips, right?
Attached Thumbnails 3M clear bra -- question about fitment (with pix)-photo2-resized-.jpg  
Old 06-22-12, 04:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

for some kits, they don't go to the edge and you get what you see here, almost to the edge.

some kits they intentionally make extra so they wrap around the panels.

however around the headlights, especially around the high beam, that seems like they couldn't stretch the kit nicely around the contour, and ended up cutting away some pieces?
Old 06-22-12, 06:32 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, here's the driver's side inner light. The picture in the first post is the driver's side headlight.
Definitely a bad cut for this inner light. Mine follows the contour.
Your headlight also has a bigger cut

My car is 07GS350AWD.
Old 06-22-12, 06:37 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Here is a picture of the bottom of the hood (and yes, I know about the stone chip that's been touched up). Is the bra supposed to come closer to the edge? It seems like the edge would be vulnerable to chips, right?
Mine comes all the way underneath the edge of the hood. Can't even see the linings.
Like Rominl said it wraps around the panel.
Old 06-22-12, 07:06 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Thanks guys. That's what I thought. What would be really helpful is if you guys could snap a few pictures and post them to this thread to show what it is supposed to look like. Do you guys know if these kits come pre-cut or is that something that the installer has to do? The reason I ask is because the cuts/notches seem to be pretty symmetrical on both sides which leads me to believe that it's just the way the kit comes, but I don't know for sure. Thanks for the help.

e
Old 06-22-12, 07:37 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

they all come close to the edge only.

but at the light i think it's an install goof. who install it?
Old 06-22-12, 10:57 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

that last picture will start to peel really soon, i'd take it back for replacement if they dont warranty these things for very long
Old 06-22-12, 11:00 PM
onephatguy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, but that looks like some bad work. I would request them to remove and replace it. Or take it an outside shop. How much did they charge you? I've seen better work from shops that charge between 3 and 5 bills. I wouldn't accept it.
Old 06-24-12, 08:23 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cuts are made by hand... which means the paint may be cut. That ios definitely not the pattern reilef that is built in. The edges are fine considering how close you are zoomed in. You either have to stop the film short of where the panel begins to roll or you have to wrap it under. You cant take film right to the edge and stop it there or it will peel up over time. It needs a flat surface to adhere to and the panels begin to roll at the edges.
Old 06-24-12, 10:26 AM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Mine has the slight edge around the lights but not the notch at all I had my whole hood and front fenders done as well and those have no edge because it was actually wrapped around the edge of the panel I would have the dealer re do it I'm sure u paid a pretty penny getting done at the dealer
Old 06-24-12, 03:18 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Thanks for all the helpful responses. Yes, I did have it done at my local Lexus dealership for $700. So if I'm understanding everyone correctly, it sounds like (a) with respect to the edge of the hood, the bra either needs to stop right before the edge or wrap around underneath it so that the material has something to adhere to; and (b) the notches and cuts are made by hand, and perhaps the installer either cut away too much material or cut away material in the wrong places resulting in improper fitment.

Guys, what would be really helpful would be if you could post pictures up of how your clear bra looks around the headlights and inner lights. My dealership is great, and I'm sure they'd be happy to address the issue, but I need to be able to show them what it's supposed to look like so they can compare it to what mine looks like and then we can take it from there.

Also, I believe the bra comes in several pieces, so it might just be one of the section that needs to be redone.

Thanks again for all your replies. Pictures would be great if you have them (or if you don't have them, if you could take them).

e
Old 06-24-12, 07:54 PM
ashley1977
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the helpful responses. Yes, I did have it done at my local Lexus dealership for $700. So if I'm understanding everyone correctly, it sounds like (a) with respect to the edge of the hood, the bra either needs to stop right before the edge or wrap around underneath it so that the material has something to adhere to; and (b) the notches and cuts are made by hand, and perhaps the installer either cut away too much material or cut away material in the wrong places resulting in improper fitment.

Guys, what would be really helpful would be if you could post pictures up of how your clear bra looks around the headlights and inner lights. My dealership is great, and I'm sure they'd be happy to address the issue, but I need to be able to show them what it's supposed to look like so they can compare it to what mine looks like and then we can take it from there.

Also, I believe the bra comes in several pieces, so it might just be one of the section that needs to be redone.

Thanks again for all your replies. Pictures would be great if you have them (or if you don't have them, if you could take them).

e
I had mine done at local 3M authorized shop in Southern California, for everything OTD $500 (front bumper, 1/4 hood, 1/4 fender, headlights low beam high beam, fog lights, two side mirrors).
The cutting on mine looks straight, and around the lights are rounded, it's been almost two years I have no problem with it!!
3M clear bra -- question about fitment (with pix)-dsc05978.jpg

3M clear bra -- question about fitment (with pix)-dsc05983.jpg

3M clear bra -- question about fitment (with pix)-dsc05985.jpg

3M clear bra -- question about fitment (with pix)-dsc05986.jpg

3M clear bra -- question about fitment (with pix)-dsc05987.jpg

Quick Reply: 3M clear bra -- question about fitment (with pix)