GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Tire recommendations anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-12, 02:27 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ProperD
i ♥ run flats. and you will too if ever you have a blow out, which can happen to anyone.

my blowout was My fault. my car is lowered and so has a bit of camber, which of course leads to the inner tires wearing out much sooner. well i didnt replace a tire soon enough and im on I5 north goin highway speeds and i hear a POP. i knew what it was and proceeded to pull over. even with the tire blown out, the ride didnt change, and when i pulled over. the ride height on that side had barely decreased.

runflats are for those 'what ifs' most people dont care about what ifs and would rather take their chances. i guess its a personal preference.
Blowouts are rare. If you change your tires when you are supposed to, it's not really a problem. If you have a normal flat, just use some fix a flat, and get to a service station... easy!

I hated the ride on my runflats. My street had cobblestone and with the runflats, I felt like I was driving a WWII tank it was so bumpy. With regular tires, it was SMOOTH on the same street.
Old 06-15-12, 02:30 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

I have some Falkens on there that I think were like 400 for the set. I had planned on using them for a short while because I was buying 20s soon, but man, they have performed exceptionally well. Great ride, braking, and handling.
Old 06-15-12, 06:58 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Simmsled
Pirelli P-Zero Nero A/S. Have had these before and the new price point for them makes them cheaper than the DWS.

If you can get the Cooper RS3-A in your area, they are bench-marked against the best Michelin has to offer.

I have Michelin Primacys on right now, but I'll be going to one of the aforementioned tires when I make the switch.

Good luck man!
Have the Coopers on my GSh. Love them. Found a Camry spare that will work in a pinch. Great tire for the price!
Old 06-15-12, 09:38 PM
Harlemboi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i ♥ run flats. and you will too if ever you have a blow out, which can happen to anyone.

my blowout was My fault. my car is lowered and so has a bit of camber, which of course leads to the inner tires wearing out much sooner. well i didnt replace a tire soon enough and im on I5 north goin highway speeds and i hear a POP. i knew what it was and proceeded to pull over. even with the tire blown out, the ride didnt change, and when i pulled over. the ride height on that side had barely decreased.

runflats are for those 'what ifs' most people dont care about what ifs and would rather take their chances. i guess its a personal preference.
i see wat ur sayin ....... but i live in nyc where the pot holes are serious and all over the place!!! with the run flat tire, u get a tity in the tire very easy and eventually the tity becomes a blowout!! happened to me as many as 4 times in 6 months and once i changed all the tires to regular tires, the problem stopped
Old 06-15-12, 09:40 PM
Harlemboi
Driver

they are great once u catch a blowout tho....i drove for like a week on a flat run flat tire....barelly noticed the difference
Old 06-15-12, 11:23 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jre002
Blowouts are rare. If you change your tires when you are supposed to, it's not really a problem. If you have a normal flat, just use some fix a flat, and get to a service station... easy!

I hated the ride on my runflats. My street had cobblestone and with the runflats, I felt like I was driving a WWII tank it was so bumpy. With regular tires, it was SMOOTH on the same street.
i agree theyre rare and in my specific case it was no one's fault but my own. HOWEVER, fires are also rare but we still have smoke alarms and fire extinguishers 'just in case.' some people like more assurance than others/are are more cautious OR paranoid.
Old 06-15-12, 11:41 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

thanks for all the tips... i think i will try to get a can of fix a flat... i never have any experience with this so help me out here even tho i know they have instruction on the can

if you have no air, do u just spray it in your value stem and then get a air compressor pump back up your tire?

and i also heard that you cant get the tire repair after u use fix a flat, so you end up have to buy new tire or is the tire shop trying to rip me off?

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt...ssor-4077.html

my friend told me to buy this and leave it in the car just "in case" if fix a flat is needed
Old 06-16-12, 02:45 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

i agree theyre rare and in my specific case it was no one's fault but my own. HOWEVER, fires are also rare but we still have smoke alarms and fire extinguishers 'just in case.' some people like more assurance than others/are are more cautious OR paranoid.
The point is... IMO, it is not worth the loss of ride quality/performance to have runflats in fear of the odd chance that you will experience a blowout.
Old 06-16-12, 03:11 AM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jre002
The point is... IMO, it is not worth the loss of ride quality/performance to have runflats in fear of the odd chance that you will experience a blowout.
i completely understand your VALID point. ride quality is more important to you (and many others) than it is to me. my daily driver since 05 is a nissan 240sx, where 'ride quality' barely exists, and is completely diminished once i installed coilovers.

i bought an sc300 in the beginning of 09. ride quality was superb and i have no idea what tires the previous owner had installed on the stock wheels. never ran run flats on that car so idk what the change wouldve felt like.
Old 06-16-12, 08:11 AM
MizikeTSK
Driver

I was running the conti dw's also which I liked, decided to try the falken azenis pt722's. So far there good. Nice and quiet, pretty good traction (tested on my lex and wifeys bimmer). Plus a friend of mine who is a perfomance enthusiast and always went with the better performance tire recommended them.
Old 06-16-12, 12:34 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Brabusx2
i was gonna ask this question as well.. but i have a GS450h knock on wood ever since i start driving in my life i never have a single flat tire and my trunk is too small to put any spare so that's why the car came with run flat, shall i take that risk?
Barely a week after taking the run flats off of my GS, I had a screw in the sidewall in one of my new tires. Fortunately the car was parked in my garage when it was discovered. Flats will happen. The peace of mind the run flats provide is a little comforting. But the ride is horrible.

It's all boils down to a matter of need. Need the softer, quieter ride, regular tires. Need a little extra protection for a car with no spare, runflats it is. If my wife NEVER drove my car, I'd not ever worry about a spare. But I have one now that will work. Not that she could change the tire. But she knows how to use Lexus SOS and AAA!

Last edited by moose66; 06-16-12 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-16-12, 02:20 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by moose66
Barely a week after taking the run flats off of my GS, I had a screw in the sidewall in one of my new tires. Fortunately the car was parked in my garage when it was discovered. Flats will happen. The peace of mind the run flats provide is a little comforting. But the ride is horrible.

It's all boils down to a matter of need. Need the softer, quieter ride, regular tires. Need a little extra protection for a car with no spare, runflats it is. If my wife NEVER drove my car, I'd not ever worry about a spare. But I have one now that will work. Not that she could change the tire. But she knows how to use Lexus SOS and AAA!
haha i feel ya, whenever my mom needs a new car i have to make sure there is run flat tires option on it, I never know the ride quality are that bad until i got my 450h... I ask her if she want me to teach her how to change spare tire she was like HELLLL NO . well now she has run flat i feel her safer on the road.. sure we have road side assistance but they take forever and its not safe being on the shoulder of the freeway
Old 06-16-12, 06:48 PM
AdVoC8
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks!

Thanks guys! I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 06-17-12, 10:25 AM
Dallas300
Driver School Candidate

I have the continentals extreme contacts on 20's and I'm extremely happy with them.
Old 06-17-12, 10:27 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

how long have you been driving on them dallas? I ask because i'm in the market in the next week or two for tires... my dunlop's have been failing me in the rain, HARD....

Quick Reply: Tire recommendations anyone?