GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Is there a consensus on F-Sport Sway Bars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-12, 12:24 PM
Red112fl
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a consensus on F-Sport Sway Bars?

I've searched this topic and read many posts. The last reply to the "Sway Bar" thread was in October 2010. Seems like the consensus is (1) expect noise issues and (2) don't expect significant improvement in handling. Before I drop $$$ on this modification, I would like to hear from those who installed the F-Sport Sway Bars on a 2006-2010 RWD GS. Would you recommend the mod? Did Lexus ever resolve the bushing problem? I'm running stock springs,struts and 17" wheels. Thanks for any opinions you might have.
Old 06-14-12, 01:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

for (1) that seems to be the case, but for (2) i have to say the improvement is there and it's noticeable. most people put them on and the car seems "about the same", that's understandable because sways don't really change the ride quality, so a lot of people don't feel as much. but when the day comes and they change the sways back to stock, then they know what they have missed
Old 06-14-12, 03:15 PM
patricksr5
Pole Position

The noise problem (squeaking) is largely gone with the new bushings. I still hear it in the winter(I live in California) when it gets in the 40s or the 30s so living in Florida you should be about the same. The difference in handling was night and day. A much flatter ride in turns and on entrance and exit ramps.
Old 06-14-12, 03:31 PM
MizikeTSK
Driver

I'm looking to pick up a set also with the upgraded bushing. When I has my IS I used teflon tape and some marine lubrication grease where the bushing and sway connect and that got rid of the squeaks and other noised. That method was widely used in the IS community. I plan on doing that with the f sport sways also. Oh and it was def a night and day difference when upgrading the stock sways and mine were the mild TRD ones.
Old 06-14-12, 03:46 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't regret it a single bit. One of the best small purchases I've made especially in terms of having more control of the car and stability. Otherwise it handles like a fat boat.
Old 06-15-12, 07:27 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

IMO, after installing the F Sport sways, the car handled like it should have from the factory. It made a noticeable difference in how the car flattened in the twisties. Much more confident when the car wasn't rolled over as much.

95% of the time my car is loafing around or on the highway, but I certainly enjoy it more the other 5% of the time.

Installed mine with new bushings and zero noise, even in winter (GA).
Old 06-15-12, 11:34 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinion, both of your assumptions are wrong. There is no noise and they improve the handling greatly. I had a little noise at first, but it was because I needed to re tighten the bolt on the bushing.
Old 06-15-12, 01:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by jre002
In my opinion, both of your assumptions are wrong. There is no noise and they improve the handling greatly. I had a little noise at first, but it was because I needed to re tighten the bolt on the bushing.
if you got the wrong batch with the wrong bushings, good luck. problem is well documented here on CL
Old 06-15-12, 01:51 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
if you got the wrong batch with the wrong bushings, good luck. problem is well documented here on CL
Yep, well I'm assuming that if he orders sway bars now, that they will have the same updated bushings I have. I have had no issues with my car. Handles great!
Old 06-15-12, 03:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by jre002
Yep, well I'm assuming that if he orders sway bars now, that they will have the same updated bushings I have. I have had no issues with my car. Handles great!
yes, i also hope they are all shipping with new bushings now

i didn't follow it after a while, but i remember when the new bushings out, some people were still getting old bushings when they bought the sways, but then again that was a while back
Old 06-16-12, 07:45 AM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by twylie
IMO, after installing the F Sport sways, the car handled like it should have from the factory. It made a noticeable difference in how the car flattened in the twisties. Much more confident when the car wasn't rolled over as much.

Installed mine with new bushings and zero noise, even in winter (GA).
I agree 100%.

Originally Posted by Mesca
Don't regret it a single bit. One of the best small purchases I've made especially in terms of having more control of the car and stability. Otherwise it handles like a fat boat.
My experience as well.

This is a no-brainer upgrade as far as I'm concerned.
Old 11-22-12, 08:30 PM
OlDuc
Driver School Candidate

Sway bars are worth it. Just got the new bushings last week so suspect it is an ongoing issue. Had to debate with the dealership (Richmond Lexus) to get the upgrade so would not assume all the kits include the new bushings. If you have noise check the Part numbers. Handles great and now quiet.
Old 11-25-12, 03:07 PM
tunedis95
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know when I got sway bars for my Nissan 240SX I could tell the difference right when I backed out of the driveway. Frame of the car was so more rigid, and now that U reminded me of this I am going to start looking for a set for my car.
Old 11-25-12, 06:12 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

I can say when I got my sways installed I already received the new bushings, the car rides a whole lot better. I have not heard any squeaking or creaking.
Old 03-08-13, 06:49 AM
GatorNappr
Rookie

Really glad to see this thread - and your post - and confirm a decision I made immediately on test driving our '09 GS350 AWD. We had an '03 GS300 for a long time, and the first thing I noticed driving the '09 was it leaned in the sharp turns far more than the '03. But then, I'm used to a flat-turning car in my Porsche Cayman.

So after getting the car I immediately went to Lexus of Richmond, talked to Mattie about the F-sport bars - but later read of noise concerns. It does seem the problem with the bushings has been corrected. And I was delighted at the price as I was expecting anything "F-sport" to be in the $1k range.

I'm in Goochland - PM me if you want to get together sometime for lunch.

Any other mods you've made?

gatornapper

Originally Posted by OlDuc
Sway bars are worth it. Just got the new bushings last week so suspect it is an ongoing issue. Had to debate with the dealership (Richmond Lexus) to get the upgrade so would not assume all the kits include the new bushings. If you have noise check the Part numbers. Handles great and now quiet.

Quick Reply: Is there a consensus on F-Sport Sway Bars?