GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Is there a consensus on F-Sport Sway Bars?

Old 03-24-13, 12:14 PM
GatorNappr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Whew! Silky ride is BACK!.......

Ok, after less than 200 miles on the new sways, the silky ride is back! Hallelujah!

HAD to be the bushings getting broken in - but still hard to believe that the fresh bushings could transmit so much road vibration and stiffness. But apparently they did.

Anyway, the good news is that the silky Lexus ride is back, and the clunks are gone.

Put me down as one more fanatic for the F-Sport sways. Just like the short-shift linkage in my Porsche Cayman - the F-Sport sways should be STANDARD equipment on the GS350 - and leave the cushy cornering to the ES...........understand clearly that Lexus & Co. have to get their extra profits though.....

Well, that's my opinion anyway.

.really thankful for Sewell for the discount on the parts......
Old 03-24-13, 03:49 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I have just the rear sway bar in right on Friday. With just the rear bar there is definitely more oversteer, quicker steering response, and less body roll. The rear feels real tight now. I went ahead and ordered the front bar also to help balance it out. There isnt a decrease in ride comfort, just when you go over speed bumps you can feel that is is more rigid and solid, but the ride quality isnt any different.

I found the rear to be a pain, took me 2 hours due to the awkward angles to get your wrench with a breaker bar. I had to take one of the sway arm links out and that was a pain to put back in also. Other than that it is pretty straight forward.
Old 03-24-13, 07:04 PM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
I have just the rear sway bar in right on Friday. With just the rear bar there is definitely more oversteer, quicker steering response, and less body roll. The rear feels real tight now. I went ahead and ordered the front bar also to help balance it out. There isnt a decrease in ride comfort, just when you go over speed bumps you can feel that is is more rigid and solid, but the ride quality isnt any different.

I found the rear to be a pain, took me 2 hours due to the awkward angles to get your wrench with a breaker bar. I had to take one of the sway arm links out and that was a pain to put back in also. Other than that it is pretty straight forward.
I didn't know you could order them separately, for the GS. The front will be a little harder than the rear.
Old 03-25-13, 04:46 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen

I actually had a tougher time with the rear sway end links as well. I think it's the angles and lack of clearance that makes getting any amount of leverage difficult. The fronts were surprisingly easier (and I didn't have to disconnect any wiring harnesses unlike gator.) On my IS I only had the rears installed and looking back on it I wish I had done both. Now with the GS the steering feel is instantaneous having both front and rear sways installed. Well worth it!
Old 03-25-13, 04:50 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GatorNappr
Ok, after less than 200 miles on the new sways, the silky ride is back! Hallelujah!

HAD to be the bushings getting broken in - but still hard to believe that the fresh bushings could transmit so much road vibration and stiffness. But apparently they did.

Anyway, the good news is that the silky Lexus ride is back, and the clunks are gone.

Put me down as one more fanatic for the F-Sport sways. Just like the short-shift linkage in my Porsche Cayman - the F-Sport sways should be STANDARD equipment on the GS350 - and leave the cushy cornering to the ES...........understand clearly that Lexus & Co. have to get their extra profits though.....

Well, that's my opinion anyway.

.really thankful for Sewell for the discount on the parts......
I had one or two clunks early on the first test drive and none sense. I'm sure it was just the bushings getting evened out after the install.

I was surprised to see the stock GS sway bars are the exact same size as the stock IS sways. It makes sense why this car had so much more body roll than my old IS considering the extra size and weight the sways would have to handle. So agreed, the F-sport sways should be standard on the GS, it's just night and day difference with them installed.
Old 03-26-13, 06:56 PM
GatorNappr
Rookie

Just drove the GS 1,000 miles down I-95 then I-75 to Naples, FL and couldn't be more pleased. Been driving the route multiple times a year for 40 years, and the best trip ever. Suspension just a tad stiffer than before, but quite comfortable.

My bro just got his wife a new Jag XJL Portfolio for over $80k and the GS rides better than the new Jag! And I'm sure it will outhandle the Jag in the corners too......

For handling, the F-Sport sways are the first and most important thing one can do for a 3rd Gen GS.
Old 03-26-13, 10:10 PM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For handling, the F-Sport sways are the first and most important thing one can do for a 3rd Gen GS.
Yes. You, my good sir, speak truth.

Also, just curious, what tires do you have on your GS?
Old 04-04-13, 06:00 AM
GatorNappr
Rookie

Originally Posted by Simmsled
Yes. You, my good sir, speak truth.

Also, just curious, what tires do you have on your GS?
New Hankook 225/50ZR17's - put on by dealer from whom I purchased car.

Michelin's going on when I wear them out.

Anyone tell me if I can get 235's or 245's on the stock rims? Dealer can tell me, but rather find out here......

GN
Old 04-04-13, 06:09 AM
GatorNappr
Rookie

Default Trip report

Ok, back from about a 2,500 mile trip with the new F-Sport sways, and couldn't be more pleased. Almost all interstate or highway, maybe 5% city. Central VA to Naples, Key Largo, 1/2 way to Key West, Coral Gables, Hialeah, Coral Gables, Hialeah, central VA.

Cannot imagine a 4-door sedan having a better combination of handling and ride.

Only issue notable from our '03 GS300 is loud road noise on roads with rough surfaces from the 50 ratio tires - so loud at times that one could not hear on the phone.....a wheel/tire issue inherent in the wheel/tire config and not a car issue.
Old 04-04-13, 06:24 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Ok, back from about a 2,500 mile trip with the new F-Sport sways, and couldn't be more pleased. Almost all interstate or highway, maybe 5% city. Central VA to Naples, Key Largo, 1/2 way to Key West, Coral Gables, Hialeah, Coral Gables, Hialeah, central VA.

Cannot imagine a 4-door sedan having a better combination of handling and ride.

Only issue notable from our '03 GS300 is loud road noise on roads with rough surfaces from the 50 ratio tires - so loud at times that one could not hear on the phone.....a wheel/tire issue inherent in the wheel/tire config and not a car issue.
Yeah those tires need to be replaced with some Mich.
Old 12-04-14, 09:46 AM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone just install the rears and not the fronts? if so whats your experience?

reason i ask this is cause i used to have an IS and many of us just installed the rears since people were reporting installing the fronts did not do much to justify the cost. wondering if its the same for the GS?
Old 12-08-14, 04:49 AM
GatorNappr
Rookie

Originally Posted by sr20mofo
anyone just install the rears and not the fronts? if so whats your experience?

reason i ask this is cause i used to have an IS and many of us just installed the rears since people were reporting installing the fronts did not do much to justify the cost. wondering if its the same for the GS?
Well, I'm speaking a bit from ignorance, as I have only run our GS with both. But I'm an experienced mechanic, and base my view on experience.

The difference in the stock and F-Sport front sway bar's diameter is huge, and because of that and the weight of the GS compared to the IS, I cannot believe that the huge difference in handling isn't mostly from the front bar, not the rear.

In the old days, 40 + years ago, all we used was improved front bars. Only race cars had rear ones. I don't remember anyone adding rears then. Because that's where the greatest need is mechanically.

But I guess the only way to prove that is put in the front. As you'd never find one to "borrow" or test, you'll just have to bite the bullet and get the front to really know.

My guess is you won't believe the huge difference that the front bar will make. After all, it's the front of the car that wants to dive both he most first and the most as you plunge into a sharp curve.

Of course, at this point that's just and educated and experienced opinion.......

GN
Old 12-08-14, 10:50 PM
Fife
Driver School Candidate

Agreed x 2.
Can now take turns & off-ramps like a boss! Ride comfort not compromised either.
Old 12-09-14, 12:37 PM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

well looks like i cannot purchase the rears separately as they come as a "kit"