Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - Third Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Potential GS430 Owner

Old 06-04-12, 10:50 AM   #1
DR-JEKL
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default Potential GS430 Owner

I'm currently fielding offers for my IS300 and am having a change of heart somewhat of going to a 530 or e class merc.

Pic of my IS:

Click the image to open in full size.

I'm currently considering a 05 white gs430, and am searching on here for potential mods but this forum seems to be a lil quite in comparison to the myis crowd...

I have read most of the GS 3rd gen FAQ threads, but I still have a few questions.

The gs430 features active suspension, if you install coilovers is this system made redundant?

How good is the ML system really? (I have a well sorted system in my IS but tbh it never gets a work out)

Does anyone have any pics of the 3rd gen IS dropped on TE37's? I'm thinking a white GS would look great on some TE37SL's or something jdm with a clean simplistic 5 spoke design such as the rays GTS rims

I have searched a lot of wheel/japan threads and they are either outdated from 4 years ago, with a heap of dead links missing images or no offence mundane tacky rims...

Cheers!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
DR-JEKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-12, 11:08 AM   #2
MikeFoxx
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (5)

MikeFoxx MikeF0xx

I have an E-class and honestly i prefer to drive my gs over it. Your IS is pretty dope... Should keep it and build your gs up on the side.

Build Thread: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/buil...350-build.html

Are those authentic parts... or nah?

Last edited by MikeFoxx; 06-04-12 at 11:11 AM..
MikeFoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-12, 09:09 PM   #3
XxGoKoUxX
Lexus Champion

Send a message via AIM to XxGoKoUxX Send a message via MSN to XxGoKoUxX Send a message via Yahoo to XxGoKoUxX

No, aftermarket coilovers and etc. will not be able to be integrated into your active suspension, you'll have to mate some form of the Tein digital adjuster.

ML system sucks. Since you don't work it out, you're fine, the ML system is pretty nice at lower levels. Just don't BLAST it.

If you look on one of the members on here, he had imitation te-37s on his GS, his was black though, it looked pretty dope with black on black n black
XxGoKoUxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-12, 11:22 PM   #4
onephatguy
Pole Position
Trader Score: (3)

Isn't that a 2nd gen GS, 05? If so, then you may find more info on mods in that forum.
onephatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 12:11 AM   #5
DR-JEKL
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by onephatguy View Post
Isn't that a 2nd gen GS, 05? If so, then you may find more info on mods in that forum.
The 2005 GS430 is a 3rd gen car here in Australia (we never received the 2nd gen GS430 AFAIK)
Old 06-05-12, 12:24 AM   #6
DR-JEKL
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFoxx View Post
I have an E-class and honestly i prefer to drive my gs over it. Your IS is pretty dope... Should keep it and build your gs up on the side.
Well I love the IS for its handling(I have the entire TRD catalogue pretty much in conjunction with Tein flex's) but tbh I rarely drive it hard or in a spirited manner I'm after something bigger and more comfortable seems more practical as a daily then a firm riding IS(I'm 6'7 so a bigger car makes sense!)

I love the E class interior, with the right colour scheme it looks extremely well built almost vault like, but the exterior is kinda drab (much the same can be said about the GS though!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX View Post
No, aftermarket coilovers and etc. will not be able to be integrated into your active suspension, you'll have to mate some form of the Tein digital adjuster.

ML system sucks. Since you don't work it out, you're fine, the ML system is pretty nice at lower levels. Just don't BLAST it.

If you look on one of the members on here, he had imitation te-37s on his GS, his was black though, it looked pretty dope with black on black n black
So you cannot use coilovers at all, or if you install coilovers it obviously renders the active suspension controls as non functioning (think I answered my own question there!) I have edfc on my IS and its pretty much a waste of money as the first few weeks you play around with the settings then practically leave it where it is, so I definitely wont worry about that this time around.

Once again I'm getting older (33) and having my JL10W7 thumping away almost gives me the ****s at times I'm hoping to resist the urge if I buy a GS to rip the ML system out.

I'm definately keen on either black or gun metal rims, they should contrast nicely against the black duco, I just need to find some more inspirational examples on here
Old 06-05-12, 05:38 AM   #7
tbilisi79
Lead Lap

What do you need the coil overs for if you never drive on the track or in spirited manner? Car in stock form does pretty well for every day driving and then some.

As for MB, check the problem areas on MB forum and compare it to Lexus forums. I am sure those guys are singing a different tune. Also check prices for MB parts, you will need them as you own a Benz.

Also Gs430 needs a Timing belt change at 90-100k miles. Just so you know. Check around for pricing so you know ahead.

Good Luck!
tbilisi79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 06:20 AM   #8
DR-JEKL
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbilisi79 View Post
What do you need the coil overs for if you never drive on the track or in spirited manner? Car in stock form does pretty well for every day driving and then some.

As for MB, check the problem areas on MB forum and compare it to Lexus forums. I am sure those guys are singing a different tune. Also check prices for MB parts, you will need them as you own a Benz.

Also Gs430 needs a Timing belt change at 90-100k miles. Just so you know. Check around for pricing so you know ahead.

Good Luck!
The ride height of the GS isn't too bad but I like a one finger gap between the tyre and the guard, hence why I'm thinking coilovers would be needed to ensure that nice stance is achieved on some 19" rims something along the lines of these:

Yes there are lots of reports of issues with the W211 merc's and I love the reliability and ease of access of parts for my lexus, and also have built up some contacts at my local dealershp and ppl in the industry to gain cheap prices for spares so I would like to stay with the lexus brand

Oh ok thanks for the info regarding the timing belt, that's the same as my IS300

Last edited by DR-JEKL; 06-05-12 at 07:37 AM..
Old 06-05-12, 06:20 AM

Tags
2005, 2nd, 430, active, back, cat, coilovers, gen, gs, gs300, gs430, lexus, stance, suspension, te37