GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Water Stain on Front Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-12, 10:08 AM
User 121523
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Stain on Front Windshield

My car was parked outdoor at the body shop for several weeks while it underwent repairs from an accident. I noticed water stained on the front windshield after I picked up the car, and tried to remove them first using water, then using Invisible Glass, then doing a full carwash with particular attention to the area, but the stains are still there. The stain is only visible in direct sunlight and isn't bad enough to distract from driving, but still quite annoying.

Any tips on how to remove the stain?
Old 05-21-12, 10:24 AM
M K S
Lead Lap

Is it on the paint too, or just the window? You could try something more abrasive, like rubbing alcohol. Or if you didn't want to go that route, a clay bar may work.
Old 05-21-12, 10:25 AM
User 121523
Pit Crew

I just washed and waxed the car over the weekend, and the paint does feel a bit rough, but I can't remember if it was like this before the shop. Since my car is white, I wouldn't be able to see any stain anyway, so I'm not as worried.

I'll give rubbing alcohol a try. Thanks!
Old 05-21-12, 11:19 AM
pqn628
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

If its a water stain, you can buff it out with a high speed buffer and some rubbing compound. I did it to my cousins accord a couple weeks ago.
Old 05-21-12, 11:28 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Sounds like they may have gotten respray on the car try a clay bar as someone said if not some vinegar on the glass only not paint.
Old 05-21-12, 11:39 AM
User 121523
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Sounds like they may have gotten respray on the car try a clay bar as someone said if not some vinegar on the glass only not paint.
ah, that makes sense. I was wondering what kind of "water stain" it was to have survived all the methods I tried. I'll try this weekend to see if I can get it out. Thanks!
Old 05-21-12, 11:44 AM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

looks like the body shop got overspray on your paint since youre saying it feels rough. try claying it, if that doesnt help then use some paint thinner on a microfiber towel and wipe it over the paint.
Old 05-21-12, 11:52 AM
User 121523
Pit Crew

It sounds like clay bar is the consensus. I've never used clay bar before. Is there a brand you recommend? I figure I'll try rubbing alcohol and vinegar tonight since I have those. Paint thinner and clay bar over the weekend if needed.
Old 05-21-12, 02:50 PM
deadbolt67
Driver School Candidate

Steel wool works great on window glass. However, never use it on a side mirror, as it will most likely scratch. Stay on the safe side and use 0000.
Old 05-21-12, 03:02 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

no.... don't do alcohol/vinegar, alcohol won't do anything to the paint (overspray) besides clean it of contaminants (not take the overspray off). You risk damaging paint surface with vinegar and paint thinner, even the fumes are still dangerous to the paint's surface. water spots is water spots, i doubt it's paint. liek the other guy said.... either use some elbow grease with a cheap pad, or buy a high-speed buffer and buff your front windshield/windows and the water spots will dissapear. (with the use of a rubbing compound of course).

Any cheap speed clay will do, for your application though, if you're in a pinch, get the meguir's off your local store's counter. If not then order any clay bar online (as it's cheaper) and a big bottle of spray lube.

I use these two products (I purchased the giant container as it suits my needs for all the cars in the fam).

http://www.autogeek.net/xmt-clay-lube-128.html

http://www.autogeek.net/xmt-speed-clay-bar.html

This should last you about 20+ sessions if i remember correctly.
Old 05-22-12, 10:24 AM
User 121523
Pit Crew

Ordered some clay on Amazon yesterday. ETA Wed.

Do I need to do a full wash before the clay if I plan to apply to the paint surface as well?

Will try it out this weekend.
Old 05-22-12, 01:06 PM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
no.... don't do alcohol/vinegar, alcohol won't do anything to the paint (overspray) besides clean it of contaminants (not take the overspray off). You risk damaging paint surface with vinegar and paint thinner, even the fumes are still dangerous to the paint's surface. water spots is water spots, i doubt it's paint. liek the other guy said.... either use some elbow grease with a cheap pad, or buy a high-speed buffer and buff your front windshield/windows and the water spots will dissapear. (with the use of a rubbing compound of course).

Any cheap speed clay will do, for your application though, if you're in a pinch, get the meguir's off your local store's counter. If not then order any clay bar online (as it's cheaper) and a big bottle of spray lube.

I use these two products (I purchased the giant container as it suits my needs for all the cars in the fam).

http://www.autogeek.net/xmt-clay-lube-128.html

http://www.autogeek.net/xmt-speed-clay-bar.html

This should last you about 20+ sessions if i remember correctly.
Not the paint the glass, claybar for paint!
Old 05-22-12, 03:34 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

what would you use to remove tree sap stains that are on the roof and hood?
Old 05-22-12, 06:05 PM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by burny
Well you might think this wouldnt work but best way is to grab a wooden spoon and some hand sanitizer and some flat cotton *****. Basically you scrub it a little and it takes the sap off. I didnt believe it but tried it myself, and it got rid of the sap. Look on youtube and you will find some videos on it.
Old 05-22-12, 09:41 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

FYI burny, did you happen to purchase clay lube along with the clay bar? If you don't it will not work.

Originally Posted by burny
http://www.autogeek.net/tree-sap-remover.html this also works.. I didn't go on this site to find it, i kind of googled it, but I've heard this stuff's boss

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Well you might think this wouldnt work but best way is to grab a wooden spoon and some hand sanitizer and some flat cotton *****. Basically you scrub it a little and it takes the sap off. I didnt believe it but tried it myself, and it got rid of the sap. Look on youtube and you will find some videos on it.
That'a amazing btw bigblack, does this work for grease-stains?

I know, but you know how it is when you start doing the process, you'll end up getting vinegar on the vital parts (like paint and plastic) so it's better to be safe than sorry . for me, i'd just stick to some good ole clay bar, hand polishing on the glass, seal and wax for long term beading action.!

Quick Reply: Water Stain on Front Windshield