GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Installation of HID in DRLs/Hi-Beams!

Old 05-08-12, 07:20 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Installation of HID in DRLs/Hi-Beams!

So I was going through a thread of someone installing LED's in their DRLs, and I think I accidentally threadjacked him, I was requested to make an instructional thread on here ASAP, so here it is. It's not perfect as it was taken with a cell phone but it's better than nothing, and i'll try to point out photos as I go.

Well, Here it goes:

Start off by taking apart your engine bay's cover: (I know this is pretty much a repost but it's just in case there's actual newbies at taking this apart). It's pretty much straight forward, for the tabs that have the push-pins, you just push it in and pull off the cover like I did, for the ones with no push pins, The only way is to carefully force the pin out by pulling the plastic right around it (not far away from it as you might bend the plastic).

Nice, now you've got the first piece off, repeat the steps for the other two side.

I believe the left side only has one (for the GS430 anyway) and then u pull it off, ignore the tab on the right of it (you'll see it at the end of the right side). You just pull off the cover and it comes off VERY easy.

For gs430 (and possibly 350, 300, 460 and 450h owners). You can use this intake bolt as a ground for the relay wiring harness. There's further explanations in the picture.

I usually wouldn't do this, but I took off my Intake box to do the job (and show you guys how it looks underneath pretty much) it's not required, but I'd reccomend it as it's only a 2 minute job for those CL players with giant/fat hands like me

This is exactly what the relay on the harness looks like, what it does is take in a 12v feed from the battery, hold it's power ready to fire up, and the signal (or remote wire for you audio junkies) would come from the O.E. harness. I'll make a drawn out diagram on the last part of this tutorial so everyone can see all-in-all how everything works.

Take the positive (red wire, it MAY depend on who's harness you purchase, but mine's came with red and black for pictured details) lead to the relay harness and hook it straight to the battery.

This is how I myself installed the positive wire to the relay, it depends all on how you install yours, but it's just the way I did it. Notice the Optima yellow battery, It's a D34/78, not pictured as compatible with our Lexus vehicles but I kinda retrofitted it into the car. I'll make a tutorial on how to do this one later on (it's been a long week and i'm fighting a cold right now so the last thing I wanted to do is sit out in the garage taking more pictures and taking the battery apart).

This is what the Capacitor/Warning light Canceller should look like. Like I said before, it may look different depending on the kit you purchased, but same principal. What you do here is hook it up between the headlight's harness and the relay harness, so that it gets enough juice to power up the relay to turn on the HID's.

EDIT: I added a diagram for the capacitor/warning light canceller on how to hook it up

Hook up the lead from your headlight, into the lead of the relay harness (this pretty much acts like a remote switch to power on your DRLs/Hi-beams).

Extra step if you want to do this: What happened here you say??? SOME HID kits come with this look, and what it does, is that it lets you hook up wires to the inside of the housing, in case your car came with the wires built into the headlight. It's pretty much a loop so that you can drill a hole into the cap of the headlight lens's cover and put that black rubber grommet (i believe it's called a grommet) and put the wires in place for a cleaner installation, WE DON'T NEED THESE, our cars don't come with it, so you've got pretty much two choices, CUT the grommet/wires OR just take it and loop it to further save yourself from the confusion later on when doing maintanence. I chose to loop mine's.

Here's how it looks looked, pretty simple and you won't confuse yourself as these harness connectors ALL look the same!

Hook up your HID bulbs to the ballast (pretty straight forward but I posted a picture for people who need pictured instructionals).

Now... Moving on to the other side:

I simply removed my windshield wiper funnel by unbolting and yanking it off (holding it from the bottom of the funnel of course, otherwise you might RIP the accordian section of the funnel).

As you can see, this is your OEM light source, you simply don't need it as the relay harness works off of one side only, so you can take it, either tape it up or just tuck it away somewhere very very clean and subtle

I didn't post much further from here with pictures because what you do to one side, you do to the other. Here is a picture of the re-installation of the windshield wiper fluid funnel. I took a picture of this because you have to make sure you plug it back in correctly. To do this you hold it down near the end of the nozzle and push/twist it in. If you don't do it correctly (like my uncle who voided the warranty on his) you will get debris in the tank and it will mess up the motor/clog the nozzles in there, causing a huge headache and time+money for replacement. so make sure whatever you do, to PUSH IT IN PLACE!

When you are done, put everything back together (I reccomend it because I took off the MAF sensor and last time I set off a CEL. It takes either a bit of a long drive OR a battery reset to reset this CEL, so be careful not to flip on the car with the MAF sensor disconnected from the intake box.

This is what your hands should look like after you're done (unless you have an engine bay clean enough to eat off of). This is the tell tale sign indicating that YOU NEED TO CLEAN YOUR ENGINE BAY. Your mechanic will love you for it

EDIT: Here's a diagram on how everything should be hooked up.

P.S. This is how dirty my hands got even AFTER i've cleaned the engine bay a week or two ago.

P.S.S. I forgot to leave the contact info to the shop that you can make the purchase/order. If you don't feel comfortable with putting all this together. The shop/boss is willing to ship the whole kit to you PREASSEMBLED, that way there is no confusion as all you will need to plug up is the battery lead, the grounds, and the headlight harness. HID kit and everything will be preassembled so you know how to put everything together.

Here is his information:

http://www.facebook.com/HIDPro#!/HIDPro/info

You can call him at (407) 369-8726. Call him, and ask to speak with the manager, and when you speak to him, tell him you spoke with Norman, or the guy with the silver 06 GS430, he'll know exactly who it is, as I've brought 6+ cars to him for installation.

I am in NO WAY making money off of these kits nor am I profitting from anything on the side. Just a forewarning for the mods in case they question why i posted up a business on here.

Last edited by XxGoKoUxX; 05-09-12 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-08-12, 09:15 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the bottom diagram, when you say OE headlight connection, you're talking about the actual headlight connection or the high beam connection? Second question is: on the diagram when you say headlight, you're talking about the high beam/DRL correct? I'm also wondering why one of the OE connections are not used and what consequences may occur.

PS thanks for the write up..long overdue, not from you, but in general.
Old 05-08-12, 09:36 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by Lex Luga
On the bottom diagram, when you say OE headlight connection, you're talking about the actual headlight connection or the high beam connection? Second question is: on the diagram when you say headlight, you're talking about the high beam/DRL correct? I'm also wondering why one of the OE connections are not used and what consequences may occur.

PS thanks for the write up..long overdue, not from you, but in general.
to answer your first question, i meant the high-beam connection yes.

to the second question, when i meant headlight, i meant high-beam... forgive me as i'm still fighting a cold and my brain's a bit off.

to the 3rd question, no consequences at all.... all the power being used comes directly from the 12v BATTERY connection. Like I said, the hi-beam/DRL power draw is only as a remote wire, and you only need one remote wire to activate an array of amplifiers in the back of your vehicle, right?
Old 05-09-12, 08:18 AM
2008GSh
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice car, and a great write up.

Sadly for those of us with an "H" in our car's name, the direct line back to the battery terminal is a wee bit longer

I'm wondering if I should just buy 4 5000degree (light blue) tinted halogen 9005 bulbs and call it a day.
Old 05-09-12, 08:48 AM
03pcoupe
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome man! Great write up and thanks for being so prompt/responsive to all the questions!
Old 05-09-12, 09:01 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008GSh

Sadly for those of us with an "H" in our car's name, the direct line back to the battery terminal is a wee bit longer

I'm wondering if I should just buy 4 5000degree (light blue) tinted halogen 9005 bulbs and call it a day.
I just had my dealer turn the DRL option "Off" on my GSh, Not sure how Canada is. But having the option to just turn on my running LED lights in lower light conditions is nice.
Old 05-09-12, 09:13 AM
ITWORKS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HELP !!! I've been " THREAD JACKED " hahahaha . Nice write up man. Looks good. When my LED's burn up I'll jump on this. Did you use 5K's ?
Old 05-09-12, 09:40 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ LED burn up? :rofl: goodluck. It's not impossible but LED is durable and will last if it's properly done. Only 1 thing I know that can burn up LED, over powering it.

Great write up. Very detail, so detail I even see a ring on your finger. :rofl: When work in tight space, rule of thumb is to remove jewelry before going in. The inside of your car looks way way too clean. what do you use to clean it?

No more flashing high beam for you. LOL
Old 05-09-12, 11:18 AM
XxGoKoUxX

your foglights are powerful enough for a full HID kit without the relay kit beside it it doesn't fade to half power like your DRLs

As for the other dilemma, correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't this a battery (highlighted in the photo) by itself for accessories?

[IMG][/IMG]

Originally Posted by 03pcoupe
Awesome man! Great write up and thanks for being so prompt/responsive to all the questions!
np, thanks for reading

Originally Posted by neurocity
I just had my dealer turn the DRL option "Off" on my GSh, Not sure how Canada is. But having the option to just turn on my running LED lights in lower light conditions is nice.
Some of us don't have that oppurtunity, i've requested it by 3 different service advisors and none of them let me do it, they say it's breaking the law pretty much If someone knows a service advisor at Lexus of Orlando that can do that, let me know. Or one in the nearby FL area (not Miami plzz, i don't wanna drive 400 miles to turn off my DRLs lol)

Originally Posted by ITWORKS
HELP !!! I've been " THREAD JACKED " hahahaha . Nice write up man. Looks good. When my LED's burn up I'll jump on this. Did you use 5K's ?
I used 10k's, but it's HID pro's terms of 10k's, they were made to match my headlights and LED mini-bulbs. All of the colors just haven't burnt in yet. I'll post on the last section of the write-up the way it works, in case people were wondering

Originally Posted by worker
^ LED burn up? :rofl: goodluck. It's not impossible but LED is durable and will last if it's properly done. Only 1 thing I know that can burn up LED, over powering it.

Great write up. Very detail, so detail I even see a ring on your finger. :rofl: When work in tight space, rule of thumb is to remove jewelry before going in. The inside of your car looks way way too clean. what do you use to clean it?

No more flashing high beam for you. LOL
You're definitely right about that worker! I always take my ring off when detailing cars/my car itself. I just used some engine brite spray and went to town with it, afterwards i used a brand new soft toothbrush (yeah, i'm baller like that LOL jk) and started scrubbing away at the engine bay. BE WARY as it eats away at the clear coat of the paint if u get it on the outside. I didn't read the directions and had to do a full detail again on the vehicle due to overspray lol. And yes, the car has a 1-2 second delay due to the relay so no flashing people on the road hahaha. I think having them on period is annoying enough, I tried leaving it on with my gf in her camry driving in front of me. she said she couldn't look in the rearview mirror behind her without being blinded by the light, almost looks like a UFO was tailing her from behind hahaha.
Old 05-09-12, 11:23 AM
XxGoKoUxX

EDIT: I keep adding to the darn thread, sorry folks for the loooong looong posts Here's the exact quote I got from myself off the other thread.

Here is how the HID kit works:

This first photo is with the hi-beams and the low-beams on.... It's when i pull the lever back.

This second photo is when I turn on the car, no low-beams, no hi-beams, just DRLs on.

This photo is the low-beams on ONLY, (the middle hi-beams shut off).

ENJOY! (BTW, all the lights are the same, just some took a bit of time to warm up and i think the fact that outside it was getting cloudy and sunny back and forth, it gave the colors of the bulbs a different look).
Old 05-09-12, 12:11 PM
03pcoupe
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another question for you.. How bright are the DRL's? Its kinda hard to tell from the picture, but is it about the brightness of the stock DRL's?
Old 05-09-12, 01:26 PM
2008GSh
Advanced

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
As for the other dilemma, correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't this a battery (highlighted in the photo) by itself for accessories?

[IMG][/IMG]
Under that cover is not a battery, it is some sort of inverter electronic thing, with all kings of high voltage warning stickers.... On my car the 12V battery is in a compartment on the driver's side, in the trunk.
Old 05-09-12, 01:28 PM
2008GSh
Advanced

By Federal mandate, in Canada every car sold after 1990 was to have DRL activated... To turn them off is a Federal crime... though lots do.
Old 05-09-12, 02:00 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
Some of us don't have that oppurtunity, i've requested it by 3 different service advisors and none of them let me do it, they say it's breaking the law pretty much If someone knows a service advisor at Lexus of Orlando that can do that, let me know. Or one in the nearby FL area (not Miami plzz, i don't wanna drive 400 miles to turn off my DRLs lol)
That's crazy. It took the guy seriously... a minute to do all the computer default changes i requested. Its not breaking the law... I can send you a PDF of my receipt, they charged me a whole $25 and reprogrammed a bunch of stuff. Show the SA the PDF and be like "WTF!?!?" Its florida. You can stuff a 1930's tractor motor in a 2008 VW GTI and it would be legal.

Under that cover is not a battery, it is some sort of inverter electronic thing, with all kings of high voltage warning stickers.... On my car the 12V battery is in a compartment on the driver's side, in the trunk.
Correct its the inverter a $2,000 inverter. The 12v battery is in the trunk, drivers side.
Old 05-09-12, 03:36 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by 03pcoupe
Another question for you.. How bright are the DRL's? Its kinda hard to tell from the picture, but is it about the brightness of the stock DRL's?
Pfft.... How bright? SupervDUPER bright!! brighter than your o.e. Beam simply because its pure light output and its concentrated with the high beams refraction lol.... During the day u wont see difference.... During the night time if u drive underneath highway signs the reflection of it in ur eyes will make u go "o crap bling bling bling" lol

Ahhh gotcha... I thought that was a battery hahaha... It sure as heck looked like one !!!

By Federal mandate, in Canada every car sold after 1990 was to have DRL activated... To turn them off is a Federal crime... though lots do.
In the US also!i tried many times with failure... Ill get the pdf from neurocity and give it one more try

That's crazy. It took the guy seriously... a minute to do all the computer default changes i requested. Its not breaking the law... I can send you a PDF of my receipt, they charged me a whole $25 and reprogrammed a bunch of stuff. Show the SA the PDF and be like "WTF!?!?" Its florida. You can stuff a 1930's tractor motor in a 2008 VW GTI and it would be legal.

Please do!!!! Ive been wanting to shut it off for a while now

Correct its the inverter a $2,000 inverter. The 12v battery is in the trunk, drivers side.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installation of HID in DRLs/Hi-Beams!