GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Weird ball rolling noise from speakers

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-12, 09:53 AM
energie8
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Weird ball rolling noise from speakers

I just turned my car on to listen to the radio and notice this weird noise, it's not that typical "fuzzy/static" noise, this sounds like mini steel ***** rolling around in a ceramic bowl. I think thats the best I can describe it lol, but its a very unsual sound, anyone had this problem before?

Here's the video with the sound.
Old 05-10-12, 03:38 PM
energie8
Instructor

Anybody know how I can get access to the front speaker(center one on dash), do I need to remove the whole dash? :S
Old 05-10-12, 08:07 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Nope you need to get a flat credit or something like that and pry it up, I'll post a pic of it off.
Weird ball rolling noise from speakers-center.jpg
As you see there is no metal ball there but this is a ML not sure if there is a difference.
Old 05-10-12, 08:23 PM
energie8
Instructor

Thanks! that's good to know, I'm gonna pop it out this weekend and check it out. I have ML aswell, I tested the speakers throughout the car today and narrowed it down and the front one (like picture above) is the only one making that weird noise you hear in the video. Maybe its blown
Old 05-10-12, 08:27 PM
XxGoKoUxX
Forum Moderator

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

it looks the exact same

Kinda funny you have that issue, i've disconnected my center speaker.

I don't know why I did as that's a separate channel and i was just disabling the two front tweeters. I think I will hook it back up now I think about it.
Old 05-10-12, 08:34 PM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by energie8
Thanks! that's good to know, I'm gonna pop it out this weekend and check it out. I have ML aswell, I tested the speakers throughout the car today and narrowed it down and the front one (like picture above) is the only one making that weird noise you hear in the video. Maybe its blown
I've heard a snap, crackle, pop from the front speakers but can never pinpoint it, then I took those covers off and found it was the center speaker but when I brought it to dealer they said it was fine, I was told I needed to turn bass and music down. Trying softer or classical music and see if it still sounds there, could be a bad speaker.
Old 05-10-12, 10:56 PM
XxGoKoUxX
Forum Moderator

whaaat? a dealer should NEVER tell you that man. If it snaps crackles and pops, then it's time for a replacement, not for you to turn down the music....

Today I just sent my car in, and to test for a "key not detected" fault after the car was shut off, I had to turn UP the music, loud enough that it shook the whole service department and people started gathering around the garage to see why it was so loud in there.

After the diagnostics team took a look at it, they scratched their head and went "we'll fix it"

Not "well you need to turn ur bass down, it's distorting the key locking procedure" LOL
Old 05-11-12, 05:27 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
whaaat? a dealer should NEVER tell you that man. If it snaps crackles and pops, then it's time for a replacement, not for you to turn down the music....

Today I just sent my car in, and to test for a "key not detected" fault after the car was shut off, I had to turn UP the music, loud enough that it shook the whole service department and people started gathering around the garage to see why it was so loud in there.

After the diagnostics team took a look at it, they scratched their head and went "we'll fix it"

Not "well you need to turn ur bass down, it's distorting the key locking procedure" LOL
Lol it didnt literally snap crackle and pop mostly it just crackles a little, nonetheless I have tried to bring this to dealer with no luck.
Old 05-11-12, 12:10 PM
XxGoKoUxX
Forum Moderator

I think that's an ML thing, my uncle's or 07 450h ML system does the same thing. I keep telling him to bring it back (because he listens to very beaty and bass-y music like trance and occasional rap). Everytime it comes back home it sounds the darn same

Still though, I'd grill them about that issue, because crackling is different from popping when beats are hit. Have you tried a different service advisor? I've moved quite a few times just to get MY issues resolved and my point across with the "key not detected" issue.
Old 05-11-12, 01:47 PM
energie8
Instructor

Hey Goku, how do you disconnect the front center speaker? If I find out it's too costly to fix or replace, I might just do what you did and disconnect it and use the rest of the speakers in the car lol
Old 05-11-12, 02:20 PM
XxGoKoUxX
Forum Moderator

1) you take your credit card, or any card you're not using as you might damage the magnetic strip.

2) Slide it inbetween the cracks of the grill

3) bend and pull motion

4) there you have it, it's right there, now take (i believe, dont quote me on this) a 12mm socket wrench, loosen up the two bolts, and disconnect it, it's not hardwired into the speaker, it's connected via connectors
Old 05-11-12, 02:22 PM
XxGoKoUxX
Forum Moderator

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...r-removal.html
Old 05-11-12, 02:53 PM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

might be the paper cone. it could be ripped or blown
Old 05-11-12, 04:18 PM
energie8
Instructor

Ok great thanks bro, you wouldn't happen to know the size of the speakers do you? because I'm gonna search around see if I can find a replacement in case it is blown.

And is there a specific brand/type I should look at or any speaker will do?
Old 05-11-12, 09:34 PM
XxGoKoUxX
Forum Moderator

any speaker within limits should do for one. But I doubt you'll find it's size, i believe it's like 3.5in or 3in or something really odd that i've actually tried to find myself with no luck. Then again you could be lucky! If you are please PM me as i'd love a center speaker upgrade hehe.

If you want the exact size, just take a ruler and measure diameter, the rest you will be able to fabricate onto the bracket to hold it in place yourself. all you need to worry about truly is whether it fits or not.

Quick Reply: Weird ball rolling noise from speakers