GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

06 gs300 ----> 07 s550?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-12, 11:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

what's wrong with shifter on steering column? that gives the center console a much better clearance and space for other stuff. i think it's pretty brilliant. funny thing is most w221 owners i talk to they like it. most that don't, they don't own mb.
Old 05-06-12, 03:16 AM
The Godfather
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say do it! The S550 is badass. Guess who got one this week. Yep, this guy

It's true that with the GS I wasn't scared about maintenance and reliability, but if you got a solid S-Class with a good service history, I'd do it. Mine was a 2 owner, with the second owner having purchased it CPO, and then barely driving it after that. I scored a sweet deal and it's fully loaded like you wouldn't believe!
Old 05-07-12, 08:30 AM
charmz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl

cls is nice but honestly it is a pretty big gap between cls and s.
agreed.
i think the cls can compare closer to the gs then a s class would though (but still being a upgrade)....
and i think for the $35k price tag you can get into a 08 with lower kms then you would get a s class at.

the 2012 cls's look absolutly amazing and pretty much **** on the old cls, i have a feeling the same is going to happen with the s class too.

Last edited by charmz; 05-07-12 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-07-12, 09:11 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Owning an S class is a lifestyle. Just because it’s a 07 and you purchase it for 35k means nothing. When you own a car like that people look at you different and honestly you do different things/more expensive things. Now when you go out to eat you have to valet every time b/c you feel like the boss when you roll up. Honestly I would expect you to if you pull up in such a car.
I’m just warning you, trust me you will see. If you’re going to purchase the S class pleases get a warranty no matter what unless you know a mechanic. Almost any service at the dealer is going to be expensive. A freaky dynamic seat bladder on my CL550 was a whopping $1500.00. Without a warranty I probably wouldn’t have gotten the seat fix so soon. I have had only 2 major things gone wrong with my car the control arm and some hydraulic crap. Other than that I have been balling daily well every 3 days. I don’t drive my car every day. As far as the interior I have 1 2 3 4 5 different female friends and they all love the interior. Find a white one if you can.
V/r
Old 05-07-12, 09:27 AM
M K S
Lead Lap

Hands down, I'd do the S550 - especially since you are in a GS300. I've owned an '04 S500 several years back, and it was a great car. It does take some $$'s to maintain, but well worth it. The ride and style and unmatched.
Old 05-07-12, 04:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by The Godfather
I say do it! The S550 is badass. Guess who got one this week. Yep, this guy

It's true that with the GS I wasn't scared about maintenance and reliability, but if you got a solid S-Class with a good service history, I'd do it. Mine was a 2 owner, with the second owner having purchased it CPO, and then barely driving it after that. I scored a sweet deal and it's fully loaded like you wouldn't believe!
welcome to the club man i can't wait to hear what you think of the s550 after driving it more

Originally Posted by charmz
agreed.
i think the cls can compare closer to the gs then a s class would though (but still being a upgrade)....
and i think for the $35k price tag you can get into a 08 with lower kms then you would get a s class at.

the 2012 cls's look absolutly amazing and pretty much **** on the old cls, i have a feeling the same is going to happen with the s class too.
oh you are definitely right. in terms of driving and such, the cls is closer to the gs (it's a e anyway). overall it's a different story. the 2012 cls, sigh... i made the mistake of sitting in a brand new cls63 at the dealership... it was a BAD move...!!!!!!!
Old 05-07-12, 04:46 PM
GSLEX0586
Driver

im debating about a CLS55 as well since the price of an AMG hovers around the same as the S550.
Old 05-07-12, 08:39 PM
The Godfather
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSLEX0586
im debating about a CLS55 as well since the price of an AMG hovers around the same as the S550.
I was in the same boat. I had an E55 AMG before, so the CLS55 was a bit of the same. The interior is nicer than the E55, but it's lightyears behind the S550! While I wouldn't be unhappy, the S' interior definitely decimates any other Benzes out there.
Old 05-07-12, 08:58 PM
The Godfather
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rogers2
Owning an S class is a lifestyle. Just because it’s a 07 and you purchase it for 35k means nothing. When you own a car like that people look at you different and honestly you do different things/more expensive things. Now when you go out to eat you have to valet every time b/c you feel like the boss when you roll up. Honestly I would expect you to if you pull up in such a car.
I’m just warning you, trust me you will see. If you’re going to purchase the S class pleases get a warranty no matter what unless you know a mechanic. Almost any service at the dealer is going to be expensive. A freaky dynamic seat bladder on my CL550 was a whopping $1500.00. Without a warranty I probably wouldn’t have gotten the seat fix so soon. I have had only 2 major things gone wrong with my car the control arm and some hydraulic crap. Other than that I have been balling daily well every 3 days. I don’t drive my car every day. As far as the interior I have 1 2 3 4 5 different female friends and they all love the interior. Find a white one if you can.
V/r
Feel like a BOSS...or I should say BAWSS :P See my plate lol

Old 05-08-12, 04:40 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ha ha I love it.
Old 05-08-12, 10:25 AM
GSLEX0586
Driver

hmmm how bad is the cost of overall ownership between the CLS55 AMG and S550??

1 has a V8 blower on it
1 is benz's flagship luxury line of vehicle

Theyre both floating around the same price range and im stuck between the 2.

The S class appeals to me because of what's inside - the interior is beyond amazing with a buttload of interior room and gadgets

The CLS appeals to be because it physically looks better from the outside and well...it is an AMG (duh) and although the power is nice on this thing i dont absolutely NEED it.
Old 05-08-12, 03:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

hahaha totally boss man, congrats!

i say both about the same, the s might be a bit more to maintain imho
Old 05-08-12, 04:30 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Henry, what kind of "attention" u don't like ? I already got attention by driving my old 3GS, my boss already think that im a baller :\ maybe just joking, but still.....

Ive been wanting S550 for so long, maybe next year or two consider to get it but i kinda don't like the attention to be honest.

btw, what are you doing in clublexus ? LOL aren't u supposed to taking care of newborn baby ?? congrats again my man !! 2 girls huh ?? what a fun life you have ahead
Old 05-09-12, 12:28 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by masboy
Henry, what kind of "attention" u don't like ? I already got attention by driving my old 3GS, my boss already think that im a baller :\ maybe just joking, but still.....

Ive been wanting S550 for so long, maybe next year or two consider to get it but i kinda don't like the attention to be honest.

btw, what are you doing in clublexus ? LOL aren't u supposed to taking care of newborn baby ?? congrats again my man !! 2 girls huh ?? what a fun life you have ahead
i don't really care about attention basically. with my previous cars, i drove them but never really got as much attention, even heavily modded. people say nice cars and that's about it. but with the s550, people immediately crowned me the "wow, holy crap you are rich" title before i could explain the deal i got on the car. bottom line, that's the image i guess. people talk about it, relatives talk about it, dislike... you should hear what my directors said when we headed out for lunch...
Old 05-09-12, 09:59 AM
GSLEX0586
Driver

i guess there is some political factors of owning a high end luxury vehicle like the mercedes :P

i live in Los Angeles county and socal is flooded with S classes left and right. On the way to work every morning i see 6+ S550s consistently. Although being a 26 year old - i could see the WOW factor definetely coming into play. I eat in most of the time during lunch so hopefully my director never sees me pulling up because when it comes time for a raise - i don't think hes gonna feel i need the money that bad lol..

anyway, im still stuck between the S and CLS55 - i guess what it comes down to now is the EPA and cost of ownership between both.

Exterior wise: CLS55 hands down
Interior wise: S550 hands down
Cost of ownership: ???

Quick Reply: 06 gs300 ----> 07 s550?!?