GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Repaint front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-12, 07:28 AM
energie8
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Repaint front bumper

My front bumper has been through battles on the highway throughout all 4 seasons, I'm thinking of just repainting it from a shop, how much does it cost usually? My car is black. I called this shop and he said 2000 lol, that sounds like repaint a whole car no?
Old 05-02-12, 07:37 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Anywhere between 300-500 is the range.
Old 05-02-12, 07:51 AM
j0emama
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How bad actually is it? I had so many chips in my bumper, it looked as if it was sprayed white paint. I used Dr. Colorchip and now it looks great ($65 investment). Up close you can see it's not perfect, but for the price difference in painting the whole bumper ($500) it was well worth a shot.
Old 05-02-12, 07:54 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

it all depends on the shop. my buddies shop who does nothing but high end cars, does phenomenal jobs on cars but of course it will cost. i believe to have my rear bumper repainted, he quoted me around $800. I went through my local lexus dealer and the shop they use quoted me $500 for a repaint
Old 05-02-12, 12:48 PM
patricksr5
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the front end and hood of my car re-painted, replaced all the chrome (which was badly pitted), replaced the mirrors, and replaced with windshield and it was covered by my Comprehensive part of my auto insurance...costs me $100 but whole job was in excess of $5000. Just to repaint the bumper was going to cost over $1000.
Old 05-02-12, 01:09 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by patricksr5
I had the front end and hood of my car re-painted, replaced all the chrome (which was badly pitted), replaced the mirrors, and replaced with windshield and it was covered by my Comprehensive part of my auto insurance...costs me $100 but whole job was in excess of $5000. Just to repaint the bumper was going to cost over $1000.
how did u able to use comprehensive of ur auto insurance to repaint ????
Old 05-03-12, 10:12 AM
patricksr5
Pole Position

You just tell them that a truck in front of you dropped lots of small stones and it caused extensive chipping and stone damage to paint, grill, windshield. They will ask you to take it to a autobody shop and once they see the pictures from the shop they should approve.
Old 05-03-12, 10:22 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

^ you might not want to just openly admit insurance fraud on a public forum.
Old 05-03-12, 12:49 PM
patricksr5
Pole Position

Not insurance fraud, the damage was mostly done by a truck dumping a lot of stones on the freeway. Agreed some was done by accumulated driving but the worst was done by a single incident.
Old 05-05-12, 01:00 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had mine done twice already. First time was about $700 because I was really only getting it painted to fill the holes and damage left from removing the front bumper license plate holder (moved to a place where it is not needed). Second time was $500, because it was just a respray because I scuffed the front in a tight parking garage. Both times done by the same shop.
Old 05-05-12, 02:32 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by patricksr5
Not insurance fraud, the damage was mostly done by a truck dumping a lot of stones on the freeway. Agreed some was done by accumulated driving but the worst was done by a single incident.
If that's true, why didn't you note the time, date, location, reg of the truck shedding its load, and the company it belonged to, then ask for their insurance details.
If the load was improperly secured, then you have a right to compensation for their negligence.
If you mean the lorry was kicking up stones already on the freeway, then you were following too close behind and should've moved lanes or increased your distance from it.

By putting it on your insurers, you'll not only affect you own premiums at renewal, but those insured through the same company.
Old 05-05-12, 04:43 PM
2008GSh
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Boron
If that's true, why didn't you note the time, date, location, reg of the truck shedding its load, and the company it belonged to, then ask for their insurance details.
If the load was improperly secured, then you have a right to compensation for their negligence.
If you mean the lorry was kicking up stones already on the freeway, then you were following too close behind and should've moved lanes or increased your distance from it.

By putting it on your insurers, you'll not only affect you own premiums at renewal, but those insured through the same company.
Of course putting it on the insurance company of the truck, will affect the premiums of all those insured through the same company as the truck..

In either case, flying rocks are normally consider to be a comprehensive claim and most insurance companies will not raise your rates for these types of claims.
Old 05-06-12, 08:58 AM
energie8
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Well I looked at my front bumper today and I have to say it's pretty bad!! It looks like it got airbrushed with millions of white paint, the bumper doesn't even look black anymore thats how bad it is haha. Hey guys, this guy wants 600, the cheapest I can find, is that reasonable?
Old 05-06-12, 10:35 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2008GSh
Of course putting it on the insurance company of the truck, will affect the premiums of all those insured through the same company as the truck..

In either case, flying rocks are normally consider to be a comprehensive claim and most insurance companies will not raise your rates for these types of claims.
Depends on the company - it might be advantageous for them to pay the cost rather than invoke an insurance claim, especially if negligence was involved in securing the load.
Otherwise, yes, premiums will be affected for all insured by that insurer.
Old 05-06-12, 10:45 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by energie8
Well I looked at my front bumper today and I have to say it's pretty bad!! It looks like it got airbrushed with millions of white paint, the bumper doesn't even look black anymore thats how bad it is haha. Hey guys, this guy wants 600, the cheapest I can find, is that reasonable?
In the UK, £150 ($230) inc VAT (sales tax) at 20% is about par for the course in respraying a panel.
I'm really surprised by some of the numbers being thrown about here, as most things are cheaper over there.

Assuming the guy isn't doing anything underhand to achieve the figure quoted, then if that's the cheapest offer you've got, you should go with it, provided he's prepared to stand over the quality of repair.
So long as he prep's the part properly and doesn't slap it on with a brush/heavy hand (runs/orangepeel), then you should be lighter in the pocket, but happy with the resultant repair.

Ask him if the bumper is coming off (little-no chance of overspray elsewhere - although removable with a good clay bar), the parking sensors removed or masked, etc.
Answers to those and any other questions relating to the amount of work being undertaken will give you an idea whether it's $600 well spent or a false economy (pay cheap, pay twice as the saying goes).

Quick Reply: Repaint front bumper