GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

pistons??

Old 02-07-15, 10:12 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisNI
Does this issue effect all GS300's?

Ive a late 05 third gen GS 300 and all the above lights the OP explains came on my car. Didn't run rough as such but then again I haven't been driving it much.

All the lights are away now, obviously im in Northern Ireland, UK. Would this issue still effect me and will are dealers stand over the re-ring issue?

Car only has 69000 miles on it.

Thanks,

Chris
These issues are dealt with separately depending on the market, I don't know how they deal with it out there but for example Lexus USA was doing this fix before it trickled down to Lexus Canada. It still seemed like Lexus Canada was being much more stingy about it. Either way, I don't think there are any cars left that were manufactured within the time frame that applies to this fix for the GS so the party is effectively over now.
Old 02-10-15, 05:24 AM
LexusLive
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
These issues are dealt with separately depending on the market, I don't know how they deal with it out there but for example Lexus USA was doing this fix before it trickled down to Lexus Canada. It still seemed like Lexus Canada was being much more stingy about it. Either way, I don't think there are any cars left that were manufactured within the time frame that applies to this fix for the GS so the party is effectively over now.
Yeah, I hate to keep whining, but I feel like I am the only GS 300 owner in the world to have been turned away at the piston ring party door. If I wanted a luxury car that required $6500 worth of work at only 80K, I would have just bought a BMW. Really infuriates me everytime I read yet another post about happy owners who got a free engine rebuild.

Next car will be an Audi, no I'm not trolling. Their reliability is far better than it has been, and what are my options anyway? Just get an Accord / Camry like everyone else?
Old 02-25-15, 01:09 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusLive
Yeah, I hate to keep whining, but I feel like I am the only GS 300 owner in the world to have been turned away at the piston ring party door. If I wanted a luxury car that required $6500 worth of work at only 80K, I would have just bought a BMW. Really infuriates me everytime I read yet another post about happy owners who got a free engine rebuild.

Next car will be an Audi, no I'm not trolling. Their reliability is far better than it has been, and what are my options anyway? Just get an Accord / Camry like everyone else?
I have very low miles, under 20k, on my early 2006 GS 300 AWD and have not experienced any issues, I hope they do not crop up now or I will be in the same boat as you are.
Old 02-25-15, 03:28 PM
LexusLive
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jollick
I have very low miles, under 20k, on my early 2006 GS 300 AWD and have not experienced any issues, I hope they do not crop up now or I will be in the same boat as you are.
I go out to the garage every day and bash my head on the hood of my $50,000 piece of oil burning crap. I take it personally, as I feel like I know more about cars than anyone else I know. Yet somehow, even though I played the safest bet possible when choosing a mid-level luxury car and going Lexus, I end up with the ONE MODEL in all of Lexus history that prematurely burns oil. It's just so freakin' frustrating that I can't even put it into words. I appealed all the way up the chain at Lexus and weren't interested in helping.

I get even more pissed when I read all those JD Power surveys that claim Lexus to be the tops in reliability, consumer satisfaction, etc. I know, I know, BMW owners have it much worse. But they expect that. They KNOW they are going to have a pile of expensive parts to fix after 6 or 7 years. I feel so used by buying into the whole million mile mystique of Lexus. Never, ever again. It's not so much about that they denied my claim, it's that we shouldn't even be experiencing this problem in the first place. I bet my car fails emissions at the end of the month. Cats are probably fuxxored.
Old 02-26-15, 08:46 AM
jollick
Racer

Originally Posted by LexusLive
I go out to the garage every day and bash my head on the hood of my $50,000 piece of oil burning crap. I take it personally, as I feel like I know more about cars than anyone else I know. Yet somehow, even though I played the safest bet possible when choosing a mid-level luxury car and going Lexus, I end up with the ONE MODEL in all of Lexus history that prematurely burns oil. It's just so freakin' frustrating that I can't even put it into words. I appealed all the way up the chain at Lexus and weren't interested in helping.

I get even more pissed when I read all those JD Power surveys that claim Lexus to be the tops in reliability, consumer satisfaction, etc. I know, I know, BMW owners have it much worse. But they expect that. They KNOW they are going to have a pile of expensive parts to fix after 6 or 7 years. I feel so used by buying into the whole million mile mystique of Lexus. Never, ever again. It's not so much about that they denied my claim, it's that we shouldn't even be experiencing this problem in the first place. I bet my car fails emissions at the end of the month. Cats are probably fuxxored.
How about a class action suit? I am now thinking about trading mine in on a newer model. I really wanted to keep it for a very long time. Now, after reading the issues with the engine I might be better off trading it in before any issues show up. I wonder if some 300's will not experience the oil issue or is it just a matter of when not if.
Old 02-26-15, 10:27 AM
LexusLive
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jollick
How about a class action suit? I am now thinking about trading mine in on a newer model. I really wanted to keep it for a very long time. Now, after reading the issues with the engine I might be better off trading it in before any issues show up. I wonder if some 300's will not experience the oil issue or is it just a matter of when not if.
I might be interested. But I am afraid it's a waste of time. There is no warranty claim that was violated, Lexus engineers simply made an engine not up to their historically gold-plated standards. Buyer beware.
Old 03-01-15, 05:21 PM
jollick
Racer

Well, I went to my dealer on Saturday just to see what my wife liked in the new models. We ended up trading in the 2006 GS 300 AWD on a new 2015 ES 350 Ultra Luxury fully loaded. Got $15,500 for the trade and it needed tires. That is a load off my mind, I could not stand thinking that one day the GS might be worthless. Thanks to this forum, I became informed of the possible disaster and averted it.