GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

What HID Bulbs to buy

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-12, 06:45 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
How much you guys paying for these bulbs?
Do you have to taker off the bumber to change them?
I paid $65 for mine and they were simple to install, no bumper removal required.
Old 04-06-12, 08:43 AM
jonnyxboi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I paid $25 for a pair of VLED bulbs, but I'm not really happy with them....but it could just be because I don't have them in correctly. Make sure they're rotated the right way, otherwise they won't look right.
Old 04-06-12, 09:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

hid bulbs only go in one way otherwise they won't even sit right
Old 04-06-12, 11:40 AM
jonnyxboi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
hid bulbs only go in one way otherwise they won't even sit right
learned that the hard way
Old 04-06-12, 09:03 PM
energie8
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Anyone got some comparison pics of the Phillips 6k? or anyone with them on their car that has pics? I always read people have them on other threads but I dont see no damn pics when so many other people request to see them as well.
Old 04-08-12, 06:33 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you guys changing bulbs bec ause of a problem with your original bulbs or just modding? My 06 had bulb issues. The lights would go off after 30-45 munites of use. They always came back on but it became frequent.

The dealer wanted $600 to replace the bulbs.
Instead, I bought what I thought were oem replacements from ebay for $40. Turns out they produce a blue-ish light that looks kinda cool but throws off the other lights. I got a bodyshop to install because I couldn't get the engine cover off.

I'm asking if you guys are having bulb issues because I'm wondering if the other car will have the same problem eventually.
Old 04-08-12, 07:49 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No these are being done as a mod to change the color and how it looks. You can purchase the other lights to blend in with your HID's. The issues members have had with Lexus in general is with cheap bulbs causing issues. I know the Garax worked great for me on both my Lexus cars and I paid $75 new for both shipped to my door. Steve at XenonDepot (vendor) can help out with the various bulbs and options. Just got a full set up for my friends Lexus from Steve.

I also suggest to stay between 5k & 6k for your HID. I think I had 5500 for my HID fogs and 6k for my HID bulbs then I changed out everything including the daytime running light (aka high's) so I lost that "yellow" look with my DRL.

I havent read of any issues with the OEM set up so I'm shocked you had issues. I wonder if it was a lose or bad connection that was causing the issue or just a bad ballast. Whats weird is that should have been covered so they shouldn't have charged you anything. Unless I am wrong the bulbs and ballast are covered under warranty.
Old 04-08-12, 08:21 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
No these are being done as a mod to change the color and how it looks. You can purchase the other lights to blend in with your HID's. The issues members have had with Lexus in general is with cheap bulbs causing issues. I know the Garax worked great for me on both my Lexus cars and I paid $75 new for both shipped to my door. Steve at XenonDepot (vendor) can help out with the various bulbs and options. Just got a full set up for my friends Lexus from Steve.

I also suggest to stay between 5k & 6k for your HID. I think I had 5500 for my HID fogs and 6k for my HID bulbs then I changed out everything including the daytime running light (aka high's) so I lost that "yellow" look with my DRL.

I havent read of any issues with the OEM set up so I'm shocked you had issues. I wonder if it was a lose or bad connection that was causing the issue or just a bad ballast. Whats weird is that should have been covered so they shouldn't have charged you anything. Unless I am wrong the bulbs and ballast are covered under warranty.
The ballast would be covered. The bulbs are not. They are a wear and tear item. Like brakes.
I want blue-ish fogs to match the new bulbs. I'll do some researching.
Old 04-09-12, 10:27 PM
Amalan
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jonnyxboi
I paid $25 for a pair of VLED bulbs, but I'm not really happy with them....but it could just be because I don't have them in correctly. Make sure they're rotated the right way, otherwise they won't look right.
vled hids bulbs are horrible!!! I had 2 pairs of them and had to match a 6k and 5k to finally get the two bulbs to match in color but after a couple months, one turned way purple and one turned way blue and they burned out shortly after. Vleds should stick with leds since their leds are one of the best bar none. I am running their new vhid kit for my fogs and I love them, havent had an issue with them yet, ballasts are super small and flick on everytime, even when I flash my high beams repeatedly, they havent failed, but their solo bulbs are horrrribleee.

that being said, I just installed my ultinon bulbs from nigel a few days ago and I can't believe that ive been driving without them for this long. They make my night time driving into day essentially, though my only dislike about them is the strong reflection of the street signs back in my eye
but the ultinons are hands down the best bulbs on the market.
Old 04-09-12, 10:59 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Amalan
vled hids bulbs are horrible!!! I had 2 pairs of them and had to match a 6k and 5k to finally get the two bulbs to match in color but after a couple months, one turned way purple and one turned way blue and they burned out shortly after. Vleds should stick with leds since their leds are one of the best bar none. I am running their new vhid kit for my fogs and I love them, havent had an issue with them yet, ballasts are super small and flick on everytime, even when I flash my high beams repeatedly, they havent failed, but their solo bulbs are horrrribleee.

that being said, I just installed my ultinon bulbs from nigel a few days ago and I can't believe that ive been driving without them for this long. They make my night time driving into day essentially, though my only dislike about them is the strong reflection of the street signs back in my eye
but the ultinons are hands down the best bulbs on the market.
Hey can you post a pic of them on the road! Nobody has yet to do this it would be great if you could.
Old 04-09-12, 11:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Amalan
...though my only dislike about them is the strong reflection of the street signs back in my eye ...
you realize why, right? coz' the 6000k has different optics and color wavelengths, thus more lights are now shooting in the wrong direction (glare) causing more unnecessary reflections from street signs
Old 04-09-12, 11:54 PM
Amalan
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Hey can you post a pic of them on the road! Nobody has yet to do this it would be great if you could.
yeah, ill try to get some this weekend.

Originally Posted by rominl
you realize why, right? coz' the 6000k has different optics and color wavelengths, thus more lights are now shooting in the wrong direction (glare) causing more unnecessary reflections from street signs
thats an interesting theory if this car had halogen housings... stock projectors have to meet sae standards with their cutoffs to limit the amount of glare shining above the cutoff line. Though since this car is jdm, these projectors probably meet the ece standard which is much stricter about the amount of glare.

The real reason for me though is because after I installed my hids fogs, the patterns were over lapping too much so I cranked up the low beams a good 10-15 degrees. my cutoff ends in the middle of overhead highway signs from 1/2 a mile away... oops..
Old 04-15-12, 04:54 PM
cubabarber
Driver

I went with garax 6000k and im really happy bout em... I purchased them like a month ago and no probs yet.. the day i lut them in, as soon as i put them on they were diff colors for about 5 mins then they turned the same.

And as far as the fogs, i saw a thread askin what fogs best matched the garax 6000k and saw an is posted pics of his with DDM tuning 6000k and it looked good.. so i orderd them.. but i havent recieved em.yet
Old 04-15-12, 09:56 PM
SoKali-RX
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Morimoto elite hid system from the retrofit source ftw
Old 04-15-12, 09:59 PM
illini19
Rookie

Originally Posted by SCGS350
I have 5K Morimoto bulbs and can't complain. Price was low and output was what i was loking for, not blue nor purple. Staying away from the blue/purple hue.
My driver side low beam went out so I decided to go with a pair of the Morimoto 5k's. Changed both out and am very happy so far. Price is very good and the quality has been great. No complaints here.

Quick Reply: What HID Bulbs to buy