GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2006 GS430 Starter Issues/Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-12, 06:59 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by raidergrad
The dealership replaced the battery since it was under warranty. They said that had to be the problem....well it wasn't because this issue is still happening...
The battery was under warranty or the car was under warranty? also, have you tried moving the gear selector in and out of P, or have you tried starting it while the gear selector is in N, just to rule out neutral safety switch?
Old 07-08-12, 08:19 PM
kdouglas39
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random starting issue

Originally Posted by raidergrad
I have been having sporadic problems starting my car... Sometimes it starts fine and sometimes it doesnt. I will try my best to explain what is happening.
When I have a problem, like this morning... I hit my start button (all normal lights come on), however, it just clicks several times and makes a very light spuddering noise and doesn't turn over. I always try it several times in a row and sometimes it will start and then sometimes it just won't for 15 minutes or so. I have never had an issue where I couldn't eventually get it started.
I have taken it to the dealership and an independent mechanic. I have spent money trying to diagnose the issue to no success.
My question is, has anyone heard of this issue? What could my potential issues be? I have had the obvious things checked...but this is really a bad situation for me because I can't rely on my car to start all the time.
This may be the issue and fix:

SERVICE BULLETIN:LSB-0015-10 NHTSA ITEM NUMBER:10034245

MFG Bulletin Date: 02/04/2010

Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM: SOFTWARE

Bulletin Summary: LEXUS: TECHSTREAM ECU FLASH REPROGRAMMING PROCEDURE. FLASH REPROGRAMMING ALLOWS THE ECU SOFTWARE TO BE UPDATED WITHOUT REPLACING THE ECU. FLASH CALIBRATION UPDATES FOR SPECIFIC VEHICLE MODELS/ECUS ARE RELEASED AS FIELD FIX PROCEDURES DES

Date added to datbase: 10/29/2010
Old 07-08-12, 09:19 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had similar problem and my alternator was dying. But my mileage 120k+ already. GL op!
Old 07-09-12, 02:45 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Hmm.... Starter going bad? I'd have it replaced and go from there.

when you say sputtering, there's many definitions of sputtering, if you say ticking noise, that means the car doesn't have enoguh juice to start. If it's sputtering, that means the engine has started sort of and turned off afterwards.

And as for Boron's statement on the battery CEL/VSC warning, the car doesn't, and has never warned me my battery was on it's way out Neither did it ever tell me a bulb has gone bad or any warning of that sort.
Old 07-09-12, 05:22 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Clean terminals to battery first. Then check your starter then move to alternator. Autozone can check the alternator for you for free if you do not know how. All you need is a voltmeter.
Old 07-09-12, 02:37 PM
kdouglas39
Rookie

Dealer says my issue is the fuel pump going bad and want $800......Ouch........
Old 07-09-12, 06:21 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Originally Posted by kdouglas39
Dealer says my issue is the fuel pump going bad and want $800......Ouch........
Could buy here and take to another shop:

http://www.pamsauto.com/p-782104-fue...-tank-mtd.aspx
Old 07-09-12, 08:17 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Nice alchemist! Surprised these fuel pumps go bad, usually don't hear about that issue.

As for your fuel pump failing, do you drive until hte car's pretty much below the E-line? I ask because people claim that fuel pumps run hotter and the failure rates are higher when you drain your gas down past it's optimum run.

P.S. If it were me, I'd opt for a Walbro fuel pump, they work fantastic, cheaper a bit, but you'll have to DIY your own way around to getting the fuel pump to work.... They're also a tiny bit noisy, not sure if that would even be remotely okay with you. I remember in my Miata, Everytime i'd flip on the "prep" stage on the key, it goes BOING, and i can hear the fuel pump run really loud LOL!
Old 07-10-12, 10:43 AM
kdouglas39
Rookie

No, dont run it low on gas. So I'm not happy with Lexus quality in the newer cars. I also have a 92 SC 400 and have not had to change the fuel pump yet.

Last edited by kdouglas39; 07-10-12 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-11-12, 08:01 AM
kdouglas39
Rookie

Angry

No, dont run it low on gas. So I'm not happy with Lexus quality in the newer cars. I also have a 92 SC 400 and have not had to change the fuel pump yet.
Update:

Dealer changed fuel pump but did not install it properly, so after I filled my car up with gas, I started to small gas fumes and had to lower all my windows just to breathe. Once i got home, gas was leaking onto my driveway and a lot water was leaking from the engine area. Had to call the local fire department. They came out and set up a containment area and pull my back seat look at the pump. gas was leaking from the cap of the container that the pump is housed in.
Dealer picked up the car this morning. This has been a nightmare and could have been deadly.
I'm just glad I was close to home when I got gas. I still have a headache from the gas fumes.
Old 07-11-12, 08:42 AM
alchemist
Instructor

holy ****!
Old 07-11-12, 10:08 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

**** me!
Sorry to be so blunt, but what sort of monkeys are dealerships employing these days?
Did they not do a leak test before signing off on the job, and declaring it completed and fit for hand over?

Douglas - this is wholly UNACCEPTABLE, and a "sorry" just won't cut, if it were me.
They owe the FD guys at least a slap-up meal each for having to be called out unnecessarily, and I can't think what would be suitable compensation for that level of screw-up.
A bunch of flowers isn't going to paper over that crack, so it'd need to be something major.
I'd also be of the mindset that it'd be the last time I go anywhere near them, if they have technicians that incompetent or blasé/apathetic about their job.
Something as monumental as that doesn't deserve repeat business, no matter how trivial - I wouldn't trust them to inflate the tyres after that.

Whilst it's human to err, training and experience suggests that something is amiss - inadequate training/supervision/checking or attitude of middle-upper management towards floor staff "mistakes".
Old 07-12-12, 12:29 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Update:

Dealer changed fuel pump but did not install it properly, so after I filled my car up with gas, I started to small gas fumes and had to lower all my windows just to breathe. Once i got home, gas was leaking onto my driveway and a lot water was leaking from the engine area. Had to call the local fire department. They came out and set up a containment area and pull my back seat look at the pump. gas was leaking from the cap of the container that the pump is housed in.
Dealer picked up the car this morning. This has been a nightmare and could have been deadly.
I'm just glad I was close to home when I got gas. I still have a headache from the gas fumes.
People build lawsuits off of these idiotic mistakes, just sayin

Originally Posted by alchemist
holy ****!
You're telling me

Originally Posted by Boron
**** me!
Sorry to be so blunt, but what sort of monkeys are dealerships employing these days?
Did they not do a leak test before signing off on the job, and declaring it completed and fit for hand over?

Douglas - this is wholly UNACCEPTABLE, and a "sorry" just won't cut, if it were me.
They owe the FD guys at least a slap-up meal each for having to be called out unnecessarily, and I can't think what would be suitable compensation for that level of screw-up.
A bunch of flowers isn't going to paper over that crack, so it'd need to be something major.
I'd also be of the mindset that it'd be the last time I go anywhere near them, if they have technicians that incompetent or blasé/apathetic about their job.
Something as monumental as that doesn't deserve repeat business, no matter how trivial - I wouldn't trust them to inflate the tyres after that.

Whilst it's human to err, training and experience suggests that something is amiss - inadequate training/supervision/checking or attitude of middle-upper management towards floor staff "mistakes".
Lol.... You're totally right, this isn't just something he should let go with a simple "sorry" or any compensation as little as "free car washes" or anything in that matter. This should be taken to corporate and dealt with there. Hopefully he has the ***** to do what I claimed above too
Old 07-12-12, 12:39 AM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

that just f-in madness. that could be seriously deadly.

that dealer better do something HUGE to fix everything. wow... unbelievable.
Old 07-16-12, 07:51 AM
kdouglas39
Rookie

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
People build lawsuits off of these idiotic mistakes, just sayin

You're telling me

Lol.... You're totally right, this isn't just something he should let go with a simple "sorry" or any compensation as little as "free car washes" or anything in that matter. This should be taken to corporate and dealt with there. Hopefully he has the ***** to do what I claimed above too
The dealership still has my car and are trying fix anything they can find after they tried to simply correct their error and offer nothing. I have contacted Lexus Head Quarters and the owner of the dealership. It is crazy that a leak test was not done. So no, I'm not letting this go.

Update: finally got car back and money back.

Last edited by kdouglas39; 07-21-12 at 06:46 AM.

Quick Reply: 2006 GS430 Starter Issues/Nightmare