GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Anyone detail their own 3GS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-12, 06:10 PM
07LXgs350
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

wash with meguiars gold class (2 bucket)
meguiars nxt 2.0 (once every few months)
meguiars quik detailer and Quik wax every week (spray)

the quik wax is like liquid gold...so easy to apply every week and it looks really good
Old 03-23-12, 06:17 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

XxGoKoUxX, are you re-washing the car after claying it?
If not, you should, to give the Klasse as clean and bare paintwork to adhere to.
Alternatively, from any bodyshop or supplier, get a slow flash panel wipe, and do each panel with it prior to the Klasse.
Extra step I know, but will extend the longevity of the sealant.
3-4 layers is about as much as will layer up - beyond that you start removing some of the underlying layer as you apply the next one, so law of diminishing returns sets in at that point.
Old 03-23-12, 06:21 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NickL
1)Wash with Dawn. (Only done on the 1st time to remove previous wax)
Just be sure to rinse very thoroughly when using household washing-up liquid - contains a lot of salts.
A good way to remove old wax (those less detergent resistant than Collinite!), and give yourself a fresh base to layer up new wax/sealant.
Old 03-23-12, 08:29 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Bushwack
Here's another vote for Zaino. I've used it for 12+ years and on about 25 cars (from white to Smokey Granite Mica). Terrific products! I will give kudos to Meguire's Ultimate Compound - the best product by far for taking away swirls and minor scratches.

-Wash car
-Clay car
-Meguire's ultimate compound
-Zaino All-In-One (some use other Zaino base products but I like AIO).
-3 to 5 coats of Zaino Z2.

Read the instructions at http://www.zainostore.com
I've tried sovereign stuff, they compare pretty nicely to the zaino stuff, you should give ALL products a chance! I know I did, unfortunately I haven't given zaino a chance yet hehe (I will).

Originally Posted by energie8
Hey guys, am I doing the right steps here?

I..
Wash
Clay bar (do I rinse the car after claybar or no?)
Meguiar's Ultimate Compound (remove swirls)
Meguiar's NXT 2.0 tech wax
You're doing fine [I haven't washed the car after a wax, but make sure you use lots of clay lube because you can damage the clear of the car]. Although I do reccomend a really nice sealant, sealant lasts a long longer than wax for #1, and #2, try to brand out from over the counter wax. Other than that you're A-Okay! Once again this is just my personal preference hehe.

1)Wash with the dish washing soap DAWN
2) Clay bar
3)Wash with car wash soap
4)Polish/Wax

Do this for the first time or after a couple years. Do not wash your car with dish washing soap. You only want to do it when you want to remove all previous wax and start a clean layer. Clay bar only 3-5 years or so. And make sure you lubricate the surface when you claying. You can seriously scratch your car with it is not done right.
You can wax as many time as you like after a regular car wash. I like to wax twice a year. In the Fall before the Winter I wax to protect against the road salt. In the Spring, I rewax.
Why do you say clay bar only 3-5 years? IMO clay bar doesn't do anything to take off layers of clear off of your vehicle, the less abrasive the clay bar the better. I've done 2 clay bars in the last 3 month-period. I actually clay everytime I get ready to do sealant/wax

I love doing my own detailing on my car. I've used Zaino since my 1st car and absolutely love it.
Here's my process

2)Clay (Only done on the 1st time)
3)Wash with Zaino car wash
4)Z2 polish with ZFX accelerator
5)Z6 gloss enhancer (Also act as a bonding agent which helps on laying)
6)Z5 swirl remover polish
7)Z6 gloss enhancer
8)Z2 polish with ZFX accelerator
9)Zcs clear seal
10)Grand finale
Yes, all this can be done in a day. Takes me no longer than 6hours. I wash the car when it's dirty but the polish/wax really help avoiding water spots after the rain. Sometime I spray it with the gloss enhancer and wipe it down. That's it!

This is the first time using the steps above with my new GS.
Your car looks great!

Originally Posted by 07LXgs350
wash with meguiars gold class (2 bucket)
meguiars nxt 2.0 (once every few months)
meguiars quik detailer and Quik wax every week (spray)

the quik wax is like liquid gold...so easy to apply every week and it looks really good
I also use a gallon of optimum spray wax, on and off very fast and extremely easy.

Originally Posted by Boron
XxGoKoUxX, are you re-washing the car after claying it?
If not, you should, to give the Klasse as clean and bare paintwork to adhere to.
Alternatively, from any bodyshop or supplier, get a slow flash panel wipe, and do each panel with it prior to the Klasse.
Extra step I know, but will extend the longevity of the sealant.
3-4 layers is about as much as will layer up - beyond that you start removing some of the underlying layer as you apply the next one, so law of diminishing returns sets in at that point.
I don't wash the car after claying, but it seems fine so far I make sure the surface is extra clean, but next time I decide to 2-3-layer it, i'll make sure i wash it again (my routine is wash around 4-5, let it sit n dry, then start claybarrign at around 10pm and I won't finish until 3-4AM, due to time constraints and a overjealous other half lol).

Just be sure to rinse very thoroughly when using household washing-up liquid - contains a lot of salts.
A good way to remove old wax (those less detergent resistant than Collinite!), and give yourself a fresh base to layer up new wax/sealant.
I agree, but with a good sealant, u won't really need to wash with dawn at all IMO. I've layered up my car 3x with klasse (and I CAN'T wait to show you guys the video of the water just falling off the car) that the car pretty much repels water off of the car.
Old 03-23-12, 08:55 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love doing my own detailing on my car. I've used Zaino since my 1st car and absolutely love it.
Here's my process

2)Clay (Only done on the 1st time)
3)Wash with Zaino car wash
4)Z2 polish with ZFX accelerator
5)Z6 gloss enhancer (Also act as a bonding agent which helps on laying)
6)Z5 swirl remover polish
7)Z6 gloss enhancer
8)Z2 polish with ZFX accelerator
9)Zcs clear seal
10)Grand finale
Yes, all this can be done in a day. Takes me no longer than 6hours. I wash the car when it's dirty but the polish/wax really help avoiding water spots after the rain. Sometime I spray it with the gloss enhancer and wipe it down. That's it!

This is the first time using the steps above with my new GS.
Respectfully, you're not getting all that Zaino has to offer if the steps above took you only six hours. No matter how thin you apply Z2 or Z5, it takes a couple hours to dry minimum (if it's a hot August day) before you can wipe off then re-apply. Applying ZCS serves no purpose immediately after the final Z2 coat. I applaud the efforts and your car looks good (but should look much better). Read the Zaino instructions. Shoot an e-mail to Sal. Per your process, it should be a 2 day job (allowing the product to properly dry, wait a couple hours then re-apply).

And...I wouldn't apply the Z5 at all unless you have bad swirls. And if that's the case, look first at MeGuiar's Ultimate Compound. As much as I like Z5, UC is much more effective. Use UC after you clay then go w/ ZFX (or AIO) as the base.
Old 03-23-12, 09:25 PM
energie8
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Is there anything better than Meguiar's Ultimate Compound to remove swirls?(by hand) my swirls are pretty tense, it's been parked outside,gone through 4 seasons for years lol
Old 03-24-12, 03:11 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
I agree, but with a good sealant, u won't really need to wash with dawn at all IMO. I've layered up my car 3x with klasse (and I CAN'T wait to show you guys the video of the water just falling off the car) that the car pretty much repels water off of the car.
Due to how aggressively household detergent works, it's a good way to strip everything off on a new car (brand new or pre-owned) to give you a clean base from which to start.
No-one's suggesting using it every other weekend - in the case of most carnauba-based waxes, the base layer will have deteriorated within 3-4 months, if not sooner (even with continued reapplication every so often).
I also wouldn't let the car dry naturally, unless you're rinsing with deionised/mineral-free water, otherwise the calcium carbonate will be deposited as spots. Dry with a good heavyweight microfiber, blotting rather than rubbing.
Old 03-24-12, 03:21 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Respectfully, you're not getting all that Zaino has to offer if the steps above took you only six hours. No matter how thin you apply Z2 or Z5, it takes a couple hours to dry minimum (if it's a hot August day) before you can wipe off then re-apply. Applying ZCS serves no purpose immediately after the final Z2 coat. I applaud the efforts and your car looks good (but should look much better). Read the Zaino instructions. Shoot an e-mail to Sal. Per your process, it should be a 2 day job (allowing the product to properly dry, wait a couple hours then re-apply).

And...I wouldn't apply the Z5 at all unless you have bad swirls. And if that's the case, look first at MeGuiar's Ultimate Compound. As much as I like Z5, UC is much more effective. Use UC after you clay then go w/ ZFX (or AIO) as the base.
aaaand this is why I don't like Zaino products, basically it's a TWO day job, lol. It does yield good results but IMO I got the simular or probably same results when sitting next to a zaino'd car of my friend's on only a few hours work

Is there anything better than Meguiar's Ultimate Compound to remove swirls?(by hand) my swirls are pretty tense, it's been parked outside,gone through 4 seasons for years lol
Yes there is actually, you have to be very good at polishing though, it is not an easy job on heavy swirls. If you're interested, you TRULY TRULY need a buffer(if you're already equipped with one, GREAT!) about 3 POLISHING pads minimum, one for ROUGH polishing, one for medium polishing, and one for finishing polish for a final gloss pretty much. THEN you need a pad for sealing/glaze, and finally you need a pad for waxing. (unless you use some hand pads for waxing, which is a PITA because since you already have a buffer, waxing is a 5 minute job).

Here is a less in-depth polishing kit, it's got everything you need (the compounds anyway) and it's a two-step process with polishing instead of 3-step.

http://www.autogeek.net/3m-paint-restoration-kit.html

My friend's bought a gallon of the rough polish and I have a quarter gallon of the very fine polish, so we trade off pretty much, give this a go and you should come back with AWESOME results. There's also a video on that link (these guys are great!) that shows you how to polish all those years of abuse out. *note* please don't forget to PROTECT your paint job, polishing means you've stripped your car of any form of protection on it, so you need to either wax every two weeks (I haven't met a good wax that lasts past two-three weeks MAX) or sealant it a few times. You'll have a lasting shine and the car will have to be detailed about once a year on a good sealant.
Old 03-24-12, 03:35 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Due to how aggressively household detergent works, it's a good way to strip everything off on a new car (brand new or pre-owned) to give you a clean base from which to start.
No-one's suggesting using it every other weekend - in the case of most carnauba-based waxes, the base layer will have deteriorated within 3-4 months, if not sooner (even with continued reapplication every so often).
I also wouldn't let the car dry naturally, unless you're rinsing with deionised/mineral-free water, otherwise the calcium carbonate will be deposited as spots. Dry with a good heavyweight microfiber, blotting rather than rubbing.
You made a very critical point with the rinsing part, I forgot to mention (and this was my mistake with 2 years of doing this and ending up with a lot of water spots) that you must must MUST wipe your car off clean with a drying item (some people use cow hide's and whatnot, I use those water absorbant towels). the calcium deposits will show, and not only that, they'll stick to your car's finish like in the bathroom of your house if you leave the spots there. You're also right about sparingly doing the dawn car soap wash. I went to this total stranger's house, where his friend was washing his car with a half bottle of dawn car soap. I asked him what the hell he's doing, and he says he's been washing his car like this for the past half year or so with dawn soap because he heard it washes the car down really well, so i'd rather everyone be clarified that this method should be used sparingly, just like you said Boron
Old 03-24-12, 09:34 AM
NickL
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

I agree. I did rush the process but it was good enough for me. ZFX stated 30minutes of waiting time for it to haze. Keep in mind that my car is silver so getting the mirror look like on the darker color vehicle is almost impossible. Or at least I haven't seen any silver vehicle with a mirror-look shine. I'll apply more Z2 as the weather gets better.

Last edited by NickL; 03-24-12 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-26-12, 11:32 AM
L8Apex
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The Megs UC should do the trick unless your talking scratches. Buy a Flex along with a 2 pack of surebuf pads, get a White and black foam pad as well. Fastest correction I've ever done was with my flex and surbuf. Follow the compound with a good polish then seal and wax.
Old 03-26-12, 02:26 PM
johnnunez2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

o.k car looks great! the silver one. im sorry for the thread jack! lol. my car is black and has a TON! of swirls on the paint. ive never waxed it i only wash it! can you please post step by step what i need to do and what products to use(prefferibly things bought at the auto part store) and HOW to do it. like wash first i got that. but i have no idea how to wax or clay and dont know what clay lubricant is! lol im sorry about the dumb question but would like to make my baby shine again! thanks
Old 03-26-12, 09:59 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by johnnunez2
o.k car looks great! the silver one. im sorry for the thread jack! lol. my car is black and has a TON! of swirls on the paint. ive never waxed it i only wash it! can you please post step by step what i need to do and what products to use(prefferibly things bought at the auto part store) and HOW to do it. like wash first i got that. but i have no idea how to wax or clay and dont know what clay lubricant is! lol im sorry about the dumb question but would like to make my baby shine again! thanks
Any particular reason why you want it from an auto parts store? Online is where EVERYTHING is at, like top notch quality stuff. Your average auto parts store doesn't have anything that remote would have quality for your vehicle.

You have to really have a heart to tackle this project as, IMO it isn't easy as 1, 2, 3. Just a basic detail on my car exhausts me by the end of the day. If you are interested, PM me and I can show you what products to buy and procedures as in step-by-step process. You'll still need to learn techniques on how these people apply and work things like polish, wax, and sealant. As for some instructions, here is a forum as to how to tackle this project.

Two forums I'd check out are Autopia.org and autogeek.com, they show you everything you need to know about removing those swirls.

Also, if you haven't done this, please use a two-bucket method when washing the car. It keeps 90% of the dirt in the water bucket and ~10% of the dirt in the soapy bucket. That way you have less chance of creating SWIRLS. Note also that the materials you use and how hard you push down to wash your car will cause swirls also, so find a microfiber sponge, or like the above, lamb wool mitt I believe? to wash your car. Use a microfiber towel or something MADE to dry your car (not a house towel like most people use).
Old 03-27-12, 12:19 AM
06ausiecar
Driver

Wash it once a week. The first week I buy a car I buff it and use a sealant. Then from then on I wash it once a week inside, clay bar if needed and use meguiars gold. I've been doing this method for 7 years to my cars. All have been black besides my BMW and the Lexus. My GTO I had wet sanded when i got it and I'm on year three with her and the black paint looks better then a brand new one. I do clean my carpets with my wet vac (meant for cars not a house one) every three months because I can not because I'm dirty lol my uncle used leather cleaner and conditioner from rolls Royce on his old BMW and 23 years later and 101000 miles it still looks pretty good. Real leather and a vert!
Old 03-27-12, 11:13 PM
drewdogg80
Driver

If you guys want to be really **** with detailing your cars, hang out at the autopia forums for awhile. I have waayy too many detailing supplies now. Been through 2 UDM polishers and now using GG (griot's garage polisher). But between work and 3 young kids, I haven't been able to detail myself as much over the last few years. I hire a mobile detail guy to come to the house every 1-2 months.

Polishing out swirls with a random orbital polisher is pretty safe and easy. Using a rotary is more challenging.

Quick Reply: Anyone detail their own 3GS?