Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - Third Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

rough idle and burning oil

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-12, 06:32 AM   #91
KJSmitty
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: TX
Posts: 114
Default

Given the fact he's already at 80k+ miles one needs to consider the labor saving$ as well as the precautionary measures. If I knew I was keeping the car past 100 or 120k miles and the water pump is a possible issue item in / beyond that range, I too would save money now and have them change it.

Better to pay $390 now vs $750+ a year or two from now etc. I don't really know the labor hours payed for the three items but I'm guessing at least 3 or 4. But as Boron mentioned earlier, this would be assuming plugs/belt were not replaced earlier etc.

Cheers
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

Last edited by KJSmitty; 11-04-12 at 06:36 AM..
KJSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-12, 01:31 PM   #92
MnGs3xx
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mn
Posts: 84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post
Given the fact he's already at 80k+ miles one needs to consider the labor saving$ as well as the precautionary measures. If I knew I was keeping the car past 100 or 120k miles and the water pump is a possible issue item in / beyond that range, I too would save money now and have them change it.

Better to pay $390 now vs $750+ a year or two from now etc. I don't really know the labor hours payed for the three items but I'm guessing at least 3 or 4. But as Boron mentioned earlier, this would be assuming plugs/belt were not replaced earlier etc.

Cheers
lexus said if they were to charge for labor it would be around 1000 to get that work done. Im getting it done just for my own sake the car felt like it would run another 100k already so hopefully when i get it back its even better!
MnGs3xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 01:09 PM   #93
UCF3
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: MD
Posts: 81
ucf3loc@netscape.net
Default

Hello:
I wanted to ask if you guys are still seeing this 2.5qtz low issue after the repairs done by the dealer?

Appreciate the feedback.
__________________
2k9 Lexus RX350 AWD, Classic Metallic, Sirius radio.
2k8 Audi R8, 4.2, Silver Metallic, StaSis Exhaust and tune, Sirius radio,

2013 Lexus GS350 AWD, Liquid Platinum, XM Radio, Invidia Cat-back system, F-Sport Intake, Apexi throttle controller (Traded-in)
2k8 Lexus IS-F, Mercury Metallic, LED DRL, JoeZ intake w/high-flow filter, XM-Radio (SOLD)
UCF3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-12, 05:18 PM   #94
morganc
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 122
Default

Damn, I have the symptoms, post valve recall. hope mine's ok. Thanks for sharing
morganc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-12, 06:11 PM   #95
UCF3
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: MD
Posts: 81
ucf3loc@netscape.net
Default

I haven't had the oil pressure light come on yet and haven't smelt anything by the exhaust yet. I am curious if anyone has experienced a short gasping of oil after the engine is started for the first time in cold weather?
__________________
2k9 Lexus RX350 AWD, Classic Metallic, Sirius radio.
2k8 Audi R8, 4.2, Silver Metallic, StaSis Exhaust and tune, Sirius radio,

2013 Lexus GS350 AWD, Liquid Platinum, XM Radio, Invidia Cat-back system, F-Sport Intake, Apexi throttle controller (Traded-in)
2k8 Lexus IS-F, Mercury Metallic, LED DRL, JoeZ intake w/high-flow filter, XM-Radio (SOLD)
UCF3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-13, 09:05 PM   #96
kjazz
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: wa
Posts: 18
Default

I just had my car checked because of the oli burning and that being tied to the piston ring and cylinders issue that is in the customer service letter. I have been buriing over a quart per 1k miles for the past two years. They just confirmed that my engine has the problem and that they will do the repairs no cost to me which is great news. Maybe I will keep the car longer. I was thinking about a better mileage car.
kjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-13, 07:07 AM   #97
Mrmarcus30
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pa
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjazz View Post
I just had my car checked because of the oli burning and that being tied to the piston ring and cylinders issue that is in the customer service letter. I have been buriing over a quart per 1k miles for the past two years. They just confirmed that my engine has the problem and that they will do the repairs no cost to me which is great news. Maybe I will keep the car longer. I was thinking about a better mileage car.
Hello. I think my GS is having the same issue. Can someone post the Customer Service Letter so I know what to tell the dealer. My GS I just brought it. And I got a oil change at the dealer in Delaware. 3 weeks later my car read low engine oil. So I check the oil and its bone dry. This is my 3rd Lexus and this GS was my dream car. But all I see on this thread and forum is engine problems.
Mrmarcus30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-13, 06:22 AM   #98
rbeermann
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 331
Send a message via AIM to rbeermann
Default

Just got my car back for this issue and would like to share my experience. Hope it helps someone going through the same issue:

2006 GS300, no CSP letter.

Second owner, car had upwards of 190k on it. I noticed my oil consumption was getting progressively worse and got to a point where I was burning 1Qt/400 miles. I researched the heck of out of the rough idle CSP before going to the dealer.

Brought my car in, upon diagnosis my piston rings are fried. They could see it burning oil in idle. However, my car was idling nice and steady. Recommended I do an oil consumption test and bring back in 1200 miles.

Brought car back after 400 miles, down 1 quart. I told them there is no way I could wait 1200 miles. Confirm oil consumption. Idle still steady. Top off oil and ask me to bring back in a week.

Bring e car in again, still nothing. It was pretty cold out the past couple days, and. I did see r idle bouncing around a bit. They were trying to recreate, but it needed to occur long enough for their computers to capture it. Asked to keep car overnight.

Next day, still no resolution. I pick my car up and asked to bring it back in a couple weeks.

At this point, I bring it back, but we contact higher level management. They are willing to help, but need to do another oil consumption test. I agree and bring back the car after a week or so.

Get the car approved for repair under the CSP. They highly recommended I change out the spark plugs, motor/tranny mounts, do a rear differential service, and change out my filters. I give them the green light. No labor charges since the engine will be out. Came out to just under $1k.

They find out that my block is scarred from the bad piston rings. Instead of just replacing rings, they also give me a whole new engine block. $7500 retail.

After about 500 miles, runs like a dream. Engine is much smoother/tighter feeling, gas mileage has increased (before getting around 20mpg, now 24mpg) and no oil consumption.

I would highly recommend finding the best service tech at your local dealership and take care of him. These are the guys going up to bat for you when it comes to getting these CSPs approved.
rbeermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-13, 08:16 AM   #99
Mrmarcus30
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pa
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbeermann View Post
Just got my car back for this issue and would like to share my experience. Hope it helps someone going through the same issue:

2006 GS300, no CSP letter.

Second owner, car had upwards of 190k on it. I noticed my oil consumption was getting progressively worse and got to a point where I was burning 1Qt/400 miles. I researched the heck of out of the rough idle CSP before going to the dealer.

Brought my car in, upon diagnosis my piston rings are fried. They could see it burning oil in idle. However, my car was idling nice and steady. Recommended I do an oil consumption test and bring back in 1200 miles.

Brought car back after 400 miles, down 1 quart. I told them there is no way I could wait 1200 miles. Confirm oil consumption. Idle still steady. Top off oil and ask me to bring back in a week.

Bring e car in again, still nothing. It was pretty cold out the past couple days, and. I did see r idle bouncing around a bit. They were trying to recreate, but it needed to occur long enough for their computers to capture it. Asked to keep car overnight.

Next day, still no resolution. I pick my car up and asked to bring it back in a couple weeks.

At this point, I bring it back, but we contact higher level management. They are willing to help, but need to do another oil consumption test. I agree and bring back the car after a week or so.

Get the car approved for repair under the CSP. They highly recommended I change out the spark plugs, motor/tranny mounts, do a rear differential service, and change out my filters. I give them the green light. No labor charges since the engine will be out. Came out to just under $1k.

They find out that my block is scarred from the bad piston rings. Instead of just replacing rings, they also give me a whole new engine block. $7500 retail.

After about 500 miles, runs like a dream. Engine is much smoother/tighter feeling, gas mileage has increased (before getting around 20mpg, now 24mpg) and no oil consumption.

I would highly recommend finding the best service tech at your local dealership and take care of him. These are the guys going up to bat for you when it comes to getting these CSPs approved.


Thanks for the info. I'm happy it worked out for you. My 2006 GS has 154,300 on it. I have to take it in at 154,600 for the oil consumption test. Mine is out of warranty just like yours is. My only worry is that it seems as if different Lexus dealers handle this differently then others. And I'm just hoping that Koons Lexus in Wilmington Delaware helps me out. My car clearly has a issue. Thanks for the info!
Mrmarcus30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-13, 09:17 AM   #100
ryan78
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: md
Posts: 1,159
Default

Going through the oil consuption test myself, after having the CSP taken care of at 189k. I'm burning 1qt per 1k roughly. Next step would be the lower block. Did they pay for the replacement when you went through it? My dealership is talking about a possibility of splitting cost. I would like to have an example of where it was completely covered by Lexus if at all possible. thanks
ryan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-13, 06:41 AM   #101
Mrmarcus30
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pa
Posts: 25
Default

Ok. I just left the dealer. They told me its $760 to do the top engine clean. Everyone is getting this service free but me..... Smh. But I did call Lexus Corp and complained and told them about this issue and the fact that is a design flaw and not a mileage thing being as though my car has 154,500. I was told that a case manager will call me in a few days to see if what to do next. I'm just really upset. This is my DREAM CAR and it has been nothing but problems since I've owned it. I've owned a Toyota Camry and Avalon. A 2000 Lexus GS and a 2002 ES and I ran them for years with no issues at all. This is crazy!
Mrmarcus30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-13, 10:22 AM   #102
alanarias2
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: ny
Posts: 23
Default

im actually having this issue with my 06 gs300 at 153k miles
alanarias2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-13, 04:48 AM   #103
Mrmarcus30
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pa
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanarias2 View Post
im actually having this issue with my 06 gs300 at 153k miles
My car has FINALLY got approved for the repairs in Lexus of Wilmington. I called Lexus Corp and they send me back to the dealer. They told me they couldn't find the codes twice and when I complained a bit. I talked to the service adviser, the customer service manager and the tech. I explained all the issues I was having in extreme detail. So they took it in the back and with in 5 mins they pulled the misfire codes and set up a appointment for me. They treated me so well that they are dropping off a loaner car to my job this morning and are picking my GS to take in for the repair. They were amazing at Lexus of Wilmington. I'm just hoping after the repairs that the car will be fine. This has stressed me out a bit. Just call Lexus Corp and tell them your issue. Next time I buy a car I'm not buying the first year model
Mrmarcus30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 07:58 PM   #104
bassgirl22
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: FL
Posts: 10
Default

Are you guys having the valve springs replaced because of the oil consumption or the rough idle? I have the rough idle at stops but not the oil consumption.

Last edited by bassgirl22; 06-09-13 at 10:18 PM..
bassgirl22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 01:10 PM   #105
Licosati
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Licosati's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 1
Default 2007 gs350

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbeermann View Post
Just got my car back for this issue and would like to share my experience. Hope it helps someone going through the same issue:

2006 GS300, no CSP letter.

Second owner, car had upwards of 190k on it. I noticed my oil consumption was getting progressively worse and got to a point where I was burning 1Qt/400 miles. I researched the heck of out of the rough idle CSP before going to the dealer.

Brought my car in, upon diagnosis my piston rings are fried. They could see it burning oil in idle. However, my car was idling nice and steady. Recommended I do an oil consumption test and bring back in 1200 miles.

Brought car back after 400 miles, down 1 quart. I told them there is no way I could wait 1200 miles. Confirm oil consumption. Idle still steady. Top off oil and ask me to bring back in a week.

Bring e car in again, still nothing. It was pretty cold out the past couple days, and. I did see r idle bouncing around a bit. They were trying to recreate, but it needed to occur long enough for their computers to capture it. Asked to keep car overnight.

Next day, still no resolution. I pick my car up and asked to bring it back in a couple weeks.

At this point, I bring it back, but we contact higher level management. They are willing to help, but need to do another oil consumption test. I agree and bring back the car after a week or so.

Get the car approved for repair under the CSP. They highly recommended I change out the spark plugs, motor/tranny mounts, do a rear differential service, and change out my filters. I give them the green light. No labor charges since the engine will be out. Came out to just under $1k.

They find out that my block is scarred from the bad piston rings. Instead of just replacing rings, they also give me a whole new engine block. $7500 retail.

After about 500 miles, runs like a dream. Engine is much smoother/tighter feeling, gas mileage has increased (before getting around 20mpg, now 24mpg) and no oil consumption.

I would highly recommend finding the best service tech at your local dealership and take care of him. These are the guys going up to bat for you when it comes to getting these CSPs approved.
I'm having an issue with oil consumption at 99,000 with my 2007 GS 350 went through one consuption test and lost 3 Qt in 2K mi. The dealer wants to diagnose issue for $2,600 so I called Lexus Corp and got a case manager. A week has gone by and the dealer called me back to pick up my car until they determine what would happen but I refused to return my loaner so now they call me and want to conduct the consumption test again. Just think they want the loaner back and to get rid of me.
Licosati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 01:10 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Facts about oil and what grade to choose RgSc Performance & Maintenance 24 Yesterday 02:31 PM
Engine oil/ tranny oil Volume123 Performance & Maintenance 5 05-04-13 08:16 AM
RX 300 Oil Consumption ACZ RX - First Generation 11 05-15-10 07:24 PM
A lesson on oil jagtoes ES350 (2007 - 2012) 7 12-17-08 09:41 AM
Oil to use in 02 gs430 Dsmart Maintenance 17 04-17-05 12:34 PM


Tags
06, 350, burning, causing, engine, gs, gs300, idle, issue, lexus, light, low, lsb006911, oil, rough

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:27 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info