GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

rough idle and burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-12, 05:32 AM
KJSmitty
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Given the fact he's already at 80k+ miles one needs to consider the labor saving$ as well as the precautionary measures. If I knew I was keeping the car past 100 or 120k miles and the water pump is a possible issue item in / beyond that range, I too would save money now and have them change it.

Better to pay $390 now vs $750+ a year or two from now etc. I don't really know the labor hours payed for the three items but I'm guessing at least 3 or 4. But as Boron mentioned earlier, this would be assuming plugs/belt were not replaced earlier etc.

Cheers

Last edited by KJSmitty; 11-04-12 at 05:36 AM.
Old 11-04-12, 12:31 PM
MnGs3xx
Driver

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
Given the fact he's already at 80k+ miles one needs to consider the labor saving$ as well as the precautionary measures. If I knew I was keeping the car past 100 or 120k miles and the water pump is a possible issue item in / beyond that range, I too would save money now and have them change it.

Better to pay $390 now vs $750+ a year or two from now etc. I don't really know the labor hours payed for the three items but I'm guessing at least 3 or 4. But as Boron mentioned earlier, this would be assuming plugs/belt were not replaced earlier etc.

Cheers
lexus said if they were to charge for labor it would be around 1000 to get that work done. Im getting it done just for my own sake the car felt like it would run another 100k already so hopefully when i get it back its even better!
Old 11-15-12, 12:09 PM
UCF3
Rookie

Hello:
I wanted to ask if you guys are still seeing this 2.5qtz low issue after the repairs done by the dealer?

Appreciate the feedback.
Old 11-30-12, 04:18 PM
morganc
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Damn, I have the symptoms, post valve recall. hope mine's ok. Thanks for sharing
Old 12-02-12, 05:11 PM
UCF3
Rookie

I haven't had the oil pressure light come on yet and haven't smelt anything by the exhaust yet. I am curious if anyone has experienced a short gasping of oil after the engine is started for the first time in cold weather?
Old 02-24-13, 08:05 PM
kjazz
Driver School Candidate

I just had my car checked because of the oli burning and that being tied to the piston ring and cylinders issue that is in the customer service letter. I have been buriing over a quart per 1k miles for the past two years. They just confirmed that my engine has the problem and that they will do the repairs no cost to me which is great news. Maybe I will keep the car longer. I was thinking about a better mileage car.
Old 03-17-13, 06:07 AM
Mrmarcus30
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kjazz
I just had my car checked because of the oli burning and that being tied to the piston ring and cylinders issue that is in the customer service letter. I have been buriing over a quart per 1k miles for the past two years. They just confirmed that my engine has the problem and that they will do the repairs no cost to me which is great news. Maybe I will keep the car longer. I was thinking about a better mileage car.
Hello. I think my GS is having the same issue. Can someone post the Customer Service Letter so I know what to tell the dealer. My GS I just brought it. And I got a oil change at the dealer in Delaware. 3 weeks later my car read low engine oil. So I check the oil and its bone dry. This is my 3rd Lexus and this GS was my dream car. But all I see on this thread and forum is engine problems.
Old 03-19-13, 05:22 AM
rbeermann
Pole Position

Just got my car back for this issue and would like to share my experience. Hope it helps someone going through the same issue:

2006 GS300, no CSP letter.

Second owner, car had upwards of 190k on it. I noticed my oil consumption was getting progressively worse and got to a point where I was burning 1Qt/400 miles. I researched the heck of out of the rough idle CSP before going to the dealer.

Brought my car in, upon diagnosis my piston rings are fried. They could see it burning oil in idle. However, my car was idling nice and steady. Recommended I do an oil consumption test and bring back in 1200 miles.

Brought car back after 400 miles, down 1 quart. I told them there is no way I could wait 1200 miles. Confirm oil consumption. Idle still steady. Top off oil and ask me to bring back in a week.

Bring e car in again, still nothing. It was pretty cold out the past couple days, and. I did see r idle bouncing around a bit. They were trying to recreate, but it needed to occur long enough for their computers to capture it. Asked to keep car overnight.

Next day, still no resolution. I pick my car up and asked to bring it back in a couple weeks.

At this point, I bring it back, but we contact higher level management. They are willing to help, but need to do another oil consumption test. I agree and bring back the car after a week or so.

Get the car approved for repair under the CSP. They highly recommended I change out the spark plugs, motor/tranny mounts, do a rear differential service, and change out my filters. I give them the green light. No labor charges since the engine will be out. Came out to just under $1k.

They find out that my block is scarred from the bad piston rings. Instead of just replacing rings, they also give me a whole new engine block. $7500 retail.

After about 500 miles, runs like a dream. Engine is much smoother/tighter feeling, gas mileage has increased (before getting around 20mpg, now 24mpg) and no oil consumption.

I would highly recommend finding the best service tech at your local dealership and take care of him. These are the guys going up to bat for you when it comes to getting these CSPs approved.
Old 03-25-13, 07:16 AM
Mrmarcus30
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rbeermann
Just got my car back for this issue and would like to share my experience. Hope it helps someone going through the same issue:

Second owner, car had upwards of 190k on it. I noticed my oil consumption was getting progressively worse and got to a point where I was burning 1Qt/400 miles. I researched the heck of out of the rough idle CSP before going to the dealer.

Brought my car in, upon diagnosis my piston rings are fried. They could see it burning oil in idle. However, my car was idling nice and steady. Recommended I do an oil consumption test and bring back in 1200 miles.

Brought car back after 400 miles, down 1 quart. I told them there is no way I could wait 1200 miles. Confirm oil consumption. Idle still steady. Top off oil and ask me to bring back in a week.

Bring e car in again, still nothing. It was pretty cold out the past couple days, and. I did see r idle bouncing around a bit. They were trying to recreate, but it needed to occur long enough for their computers to capture it. Asked to keep car overnight.

Next day, still no resolution. I pick my car up and asked to bring it back in a couple weeks.

At this point, I bring it back, but we contact higher level management. They are willing to help, but need to do another oil consumption test. I agree and bring back the car after a week or so.

Get the car approved for repair under the CSP. They highly recommended I change out the spark plugs, motor/tranny mounts, do a rear differential service, and change out my filters. I give them the green light. No labor charges since the engine will be out. Came out to just under $1k.

They find out that my block is scarred from the bad piston rings. Instead of just replacing rings, they also give me a whole new engine block. $7500 retail.

After about 500 miles, runs like a dream. Engine is much smoother/tighter feeling, gas mileage has increased (before getting around 20mpg, now 24mpg) and no oil consumption.

I would highly recommend finding the best service tech at your local dealership and take care of him. These are the guys going up to bat for you when it comes to getting these CSPs approved.

Thanks for the info. I'm happy it worked out for you. My 2006 GS has 154,300 on it. I have to take it in at 154,600 for the oil consumption test. Mine is out of warranty just like yours is. My only worry is that it seems as if different Lexus dealers handle this differently then others. And I'm just hoping that Koons Lexus in Wilmington Delaware helps me out. My car clearly has a issue. Thanks for the info!
Old 03-25-13, 08:17 AM
ryan78
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Going through the oil consuption test myself, after having the CSP taken care of at 189k. I'm burning 1qt per 1k roughly. Next step would be the lower block. Did they pay for the replacement when you went through it? My dealership is talking about a possibility of splitting cost. I would like to have an example of where it was completely covered by Lexus if at all possible. thanks
Old 03-26-13, 05:41 AM
Mrmarcus30
Driver School Candidate

Ok. I just left the dealer. They told me its $760 to do the top engine clean. Everyone is getting this service free but me..... Smh. But I did call Lexus Corp and complained and told them about this issue and the fact that is a design flaw and not a mileage thing being as though my car has 154,500. I was told that a case manager will call me in a few days to see if what to do next. I'm just really upset. This is my DREAM CAR and it has been nothing but problems since I've owned it. I've owned a Toyota Camry and Avalon. A 2000 Lexus GS and a 2002 ES and I ran them for years with no issues at all. This is crazy!
Old 04-05-13, 09:22 AM
alanarias2
Driver School Candidate

im actually having this issue with my 06 gs300 at 153k miles
Old 04-08-13, 03:48 AM
Mrmarcus30
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by alanarias2
im actually having this issue with my 06 gs300 at 153k miles
My car has FINALLY got approved for the repairs in Lexus of Wilmington. I called Lexus Corp and they send me back to the dealer. They told me they couldn't find the codes twice and when I complained a bit. I talked to the service adviser, the customer service manager and the tech. I explained all the issues I was having in extreme detail. So they took it in the back and with in 5 mins they pulled the misfire codes and set up a appointment for me. They treated me so well that they are dropping off a loaner car to my job this morning and are picking my GS to take in for the repair. They were amazing at Lexus of Wilmington. I'm just hoping after the repairs that the car will be fine. This has stressed me out a bit. Just call Lexus Corp and tell them your issue. Next time I buy a car I'm not buying the first year model
Old 06-09-13, 06:58 PM
bassgirl22
Driver School Candidate

Are you guys having the valve springs replaced because of the oil consumption or the rough idle? I have the rough idle at stops but not the oil consumption.

Last edited by bassgirl22; 06-09-13 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-19-13, 12:10 PM
Licosati
Driver School Candidate

Default 2007 gs350

Originally Posted by rbeermann

I'm having an issue with oil consumption at 99,000 with my 2007 GS 350 went through one consuption test and lost 3 Qt in 2K mi. The dealer wants to diagnose issue for $2,600 so I called Lexus Corp and got a case manager. A week has gone by and the dealer called me back to pick up my car until they determine what would happen but I refused to return my loaner so now they call me and want to conduct the consumption test again. Just think they want the loaner back and to get rid of me.

Quick Reply: rough idle and burning oil