GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

rough idle and burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-12, 05:24 PM
silva1181
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Caveman, I had this problem fixed on the 2006 GS300 i used to own. The symptoms did not trigger a CEL, but the low engine oil light did turn on. I also had the rough idle. It took the dealer about 2 weeks to complete the work on the car.
Old 10-24-12, 03:59 AM
MnGs3xx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so my 06 rwd gs300 has 85k i did an oil change at 82k with amsoil signature series and a new filter, and i just received the low oil level light so i checked the level and it was extremely low so i added some oil, i do notice a slight vibration at idle nothing but goes away upon acceleration. I haven't had any engine lights or problems with the car. my question is should i bring it in and have them diagnose it because im sure im burnin oil like crazy, it runs great and feels strong im getting 25mpg average. thanks let me know
Old 10-24-12, 08:23 AM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MnGs3xx
so my 06 rwd gs300 has 85k i did an oil change at 82k with amsoil signature series and a new filter, and i just received the low oil level light so i checked the level and it was extremely low so i added some oil, i do notice a slight vibration at idle nothing but goes away upon acceleration. I haven't had any engine lights or problems with the car. my question is should i bring it in and have them diagnose it because im sure im burnin oil like crazy, it runs great and feels strong im getting 25mpg average. thanks let me know
Same question as well. I wonder if it will cost for them to diagnose the problem. And also wondering if all 2006 models are affected and will get the letter?
Old 10-24-12, 10:54 AM
stefnee
Driver

Originally Posted by caveman
for those of you that've had this piston work done, does the rough idle/misfire always trigger a check engine light?

i get this rough idle very once in awhile, but i've never seen a CEL come on.
i just dont want to waste time in taking the car into the dealership if they're just going to say "no CEL, no issue".

On very FEW occassions did my CEL come on. When I took mine in for the diagnosis, the CEL was not on.
Old 10-24-12, 02:03 PM
silva1181
Pit Crew

I agreed to pay the $125 diagnostic fee since at the time there were no recalls or CSP's issued. The results were misfire codes and low engine oil light. After a few hours Lexus agreed as a Goodwill to handle repairs if I agreed to pay $570 towards the repair to which I did. I wasn't supposed to be charged the $125 since I did allow them to do the work but who knows I may have been charged the $125 in the $570 I paid, but oh well.

I would try to get them to do the diagnostics as a good will gesture since now there is a CSP issued for this but if they don't I'd still pay the $125 to have the diagnostics done.

I also believe other models not just the 06 GS300 are affected by this.

Good luck on whatever you decide or do.
Old 10-27-12, 08:56 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Add me to the list of cars needing the work....funny I have no symtoms, got the letter. Apparently Lexus has a protocol that can induce the low rough idle and the analysis is uploaded to Lexus for review. My car needs the work done. I am told, the oil change will be done of course as well as coolant flush. Should I spring extra for water pump, is it anywhere near where they are tearing apart ? Only 76k miles on my car btw
Old 10-28-12, 08:56 PM
MnGs3xx
Driver

i took my car in to the lexus dealer and i told them i had the low oil light and slight vibration and idle, they had the car for about a hour and gave it back saying they couldnt get it to misfire so they filled my oil up and want me to come back after 500 miles to see if im burning rapidly, i used 6qts of amsoil ss and only after 2800 miles i got the low oil light which means its 3 qts low the guy said it was all free of charge only another 100 miles to go and back to the dealer they said if it is burning to fast they will do a compression test on the engine..
Old 10-29-12, 08:57 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Its amazing how much of a difference folks can have at the dealership. In all honesty, my car has NO symptoms. It has idled a bit rough several times, when coming to a stop with the a/c off...idled rough and then the rpms went up a bit and was fine. I dont burn oil, though the rear bumper seems to be getting a bit more dark carbon deposits compared to new. They had it a day and basically ran diagnostics and told me it needed work and come back when parts arrive.
Old 10-30-12, 06:33 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Running rich by the sounds of the bumper.
AFR not right, possibly due to clogging of the EGR valve?
Old 11-01-12, 12:16 AM
MnGs3xx
Driver

So I brought my car back in after 582 miles and they said it burnt a quart of oil, they still couldn't get it to misfire and they say they don't feel a rough idle. He said its a 7500$ job for the piston ring replacement, it should be covered under the recall right? So anyways he said they can keep it over night and try it from cold to see if it will misfire so I said yea something's obviously wrong if its burning that much oil. They gave me a 2013 rx350 for a loaner waiting to hear back from then
Old 11-01-12, 04:20 AM
HamBurglar
Driver

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
Add me to the list of cars needing the work....funny I have no symtoms, got the letter. Apparently Lexus has a protocol that can induce the low rough idle and the analysis is uploaded to Lexus for review. My car needs the work done. I am told, the oil change will be done of course as well as coolant flush. Should I spring extra for water pump, is it anywhere near where they are tearing apart ? Only 76k miles on my car btw
Yeah change the water pump. My G300 had the rough idling and all the other good stuff on this thread that the dealership blew off, didn't acknowledge, etc..Well one day driving on the freeway the car stalls out. Ended up being from water-pump failure (no change in temp gauge, no dash lights, no limp mode, etc..). Good bye engine. No worries, dealership gave me a generous offer to repair the damages for only $17K and only charged a diagnostic fee of $500. I'd highly recommend having that water-pump looked at.
Old 11-01-12, 12:25 PM
MnGs3xx
Driver

Just got a call from Lexus there gonna replace my pistons and rings all at no charge, they say oil is blowing past the rings and burning oil internally, he suggested since the engine will be torn apart to replace the water pump, spark plugs, and serp belt, I only need to pay for the parts which is 390 sound like a deal? 225 pump, 60 for belt and 17 a piece for plugs
Old 11-01-12, 05:00 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Do they need replacing?
And surely the plugs would've been done at the 60K service?

I never touched the belt nor the pump on the Accord (TSX), after picking it up with 77K, and selling it recently at 125K, nigh on six years later.
So I ask again, do they NEED replacing?
Is the pump or belt a "known" issue with Lexus cars? (If so, then how very Germanic of them!)
Old 11-03-12, 08:03 AM
HamBurglar
Driver

Originally Posted by Boron
Do they need replacing?
And surely the plugs would've been done at the 60K service?

I never touched the belt nor the pump on the Accord (TSX), after picking it up with 77K, and selling it recently at 125K, nigh on six years later.
So I ask again, do they NEED replacing?
Is the pump or belt a "known" issue with Lexus cars? (If so, then how very Germanic of them!)
I would recommend replacing to avoid any possible issues (see my above post). These use timing chains instead of belts.
"Known" issue? It doesn't seem to be, but after losing an engine and some searches you'll find some interesting stories which may or may not be related. Pay closer attention to the Lexus Recalls and TSB's relating to the carbon build up issues which also end up servicing water pumps.
I've cycled through plenty of vehicles that never needed them replaced before they've left my ownership but YMMV.
From my own experience with this 'Lexus' I would just have it done as a precautionary measure, seeing that there's no real warning indicator built in the vehicle that I'm aware of besides the temperature gauge to indicate over heating. I would guess that the check engine (or unidentifiable combo of lights) would go off or at the least prior to failure. Or if any thing I would think it would get thrown into "limp mode"?
Normally you would hear a, for lack of a better word, 'grinding' noise or some other abnormal sound that usually warns you it's about to explode (kind of like when you're brake pads are worn down) or your temperature gauge will go up (not in my case) but at that point you're already overheating.
Old 11-04-12, 12:34 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

I know the engine is chain driven, I was referring to the serp belt.
I can't believe Lexus have omitted sensors or not used fast-reacting ones to indicate such a catastrophic fault is imminent.
I hear what you're saying about precautionary, but part of the appeal of Lexus as a brand, is you're not supposed to have to throw money at it, just in case!
That's why BMW and the others exist — they'd turn an atheist into a believer, due to the amount of praying done, before getting into the car each day.

Quick Reply: rough idle and burning oil