GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

rough idle and burning oil

Old 03-01-12, 04:52 PM
silva1181
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Road Rage, I just setup an appt to drop my car off at the Lexus dealer tomorrow for the diagnotic inspection. In speaking to the tech advisor his immediate response was my car is out of warranty and lexus discontinued covering the cost of these repairs a while back, especially if the car is out of warranty which mine is. But I insisted and he changed his tone, now stating that he's heard Lexus was going to start working with customers again on the cost associated with TSB's that might be affecting my car. So, I leave the car with them tomorrow, pick up a loaner and pay $135 to have a thorough inspection and diagnostics done. He said what will work in my favor is if the service history clearly shows the car has been properly maintained by Lexus which based on my service history records it would appear it has been. The only think concerning me is the previous owner having the spark plugs changed by a non lexus tech, which is clearly stated in my history documents.
So, at this point I will wait and see what is reported back to me and go from there. Thanks again.
Old 03-02-12, 05:41 PM
silva1181
Pit Crew

Thought I would provide an update. I just received a call from the Lexus dealer and they have confirmed with the diagnostics test piston mis-fires on the car, which I guess specifically relates to a TSB or Recall on this car yr/model and engine.

The service advisor has submitted a lengthy request to Lexus stating why the repairs should be done at no cost to me. According the cars service history, it appears that this same problem was addressed a little over a year ago, and repairs done at Lexus dealer. He believes the repairs were not done correctly, which is why the car is still showing symptoms and misfires. He also believes Lexus will agree to re-do these repairs at no cost to me, or at least work out a deal with me where I do not have to pay an outrageous out of pocket expense (I will be optimistic about not paying anything). He also said that in my favor my car has been well maintained per the maintenance history which is good.

He asked me about a recommended repair from a Lexus dealer earlier this year in January, when I had my oil changed, and did the fuel injection/throttle body cleaning service. It was recommended that the front engine cover seal be replaced due to oil leakage. Cost to repair by Lexus I was quoted $2500. He asked if I did the repair to which I said no because at the time the service tech, nor the advisor could show me signs of oil leakage. I needed to see what they claimed to be a problem and they couldn't show me. NOW, today I am being told they did not find signs of oil leakage from the front engine cover, But he said that doesn't mean there wasn't a sign of oil leakage previously. His point is, if Lexus agrees to fix the piston problem they would be required to replace the front engine seal as part of the other repairs, so it would get done regardless.

So, now I am keeping my fingers crossed, and saying some prayers that Lexus will agree to fix the car. Until than I get to drive around in a new loaner IS250. Nice car but too small for my taste.

I will find out latest by next Tuesday if Lexus will fix my car.

Last edited by silva1181; 03-02-12 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-03-12, 04:35 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds good, and the dealer sounds like a good one too.
Fingers crossed Lexus play nicely with you - I'd use the fact its previous repair wasn't done correctly as ammo to stave off any money coming out of your pocket towards fixing the problem.
That'd be something they should take up with the other dealership.
Old 03-03-12, 07:46 AM
silva1181
Pit Crew

Thanks Boron. Yeah, I am really hoping Lexus plays nice on this, but I have 90k miles on the car so I am worried. Once I started to read some of the other threads, and this thread, (grandsport, sorry that hijacked your thread) ,and experienced similar symptoms I knew my car was having issues. I realize not all 06 - GS300 have this issue and I was just one of the unlucky ones. Sucks since I just bought the car back in June and I did a lot of due diligence on the history and checks, what I didn't do was research on the forum about this car, lesson learned!

I seriously like this car. I felt I got a good deal on it with 83k miles, immaculate inside/out. A lexus extended warranty was quoted to me at $4000 for a 3 yr / 100k, and I see now it would have paid off to have the ext warranty. Oh well, I'll find out in a few days what Lexus decides.

Last edited by silva1181; 03-03-12 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-03-12, 05:03 PM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

Mine just has the rough idle when im stopped at a light its a lil annoying considering im driving a lexus not an old hoopty. I usually just shift it into neutral while at the light
Old 03-04-12, 05:52 AM
Road Rage
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LAGS300GUY
I will find out latest by next Tuesday if Lexus will fix my car.
That's good. The front cover has to come off anyway when doing the tear down for the new rings and be resealed so 'if" there was an oil leak (which I've never seen on that engine) it'll be resealed during reassembly.

Curious to know what was "done" previously. If they're talking about the de-carb service which was recommended when these problems first started showing up, that will do no good in this situation as the problem is a mechanical item (the piston rings) and really just delays the inevitable. If the rings have already been replaced then that should be explicitly noted in the Lexus database. You can also tell if you take a flashlight and closely look at the seams of the engine to see what color the seal compound is that squished out when the parts were bolted back together. Factory seal is grey and the stuff we dealers use is Black. Should be able to see it around the front timing cover or the oil pan. If its grey than the parts were never separated.
Old 03-05-12, 03:28 PM
xyerua
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Road Rage, thank you for your expert opinions in this thread. Do you have a feel for how common the piston ring issue is? Or any way to determine the likelihood of its occurrence. I have a 06 GS300 with 52000 miles. Purchased a month ago. I don't believe I have any trouble at present, but now I'm concerned about the eventuality a year or two down the road. I tried to get a handle on potential problems with this model before purchase but, regrettably, I missed this one.

To the OP and others with this issue I wish you the best of luck. It would be very dissapointing if a maker with Lexus' reputation did not resolve this to your satisfaction.
Old 03-05-12, 08:37 PM
LADavidGS
Driver

i had rough idle and after using lucas fuel injector cleaner + dealership took care of the carbon build up = smooth idle.
Old 03-06-12, 09:29 AM
silva1181
Pit Crew

Default Lexus has responded with their decision to repair my car

I received the call this morning from the Lexus advisor and Lexus has responded with their decison on whether to cover the total cost to fix my car! I was reminded that my power train warranty of 6 years/70k miles non existent since I have 90k miles on the car.

Lexus will honor the repairs needed on my car as a "Goodwill" and have asked that I pay $500, towards the $5200 dollar repair. Road Rage you were right, the advisor was referring to a decarbonization that was done by the PO not a major repair.

The repairs include what Road Rage said it would to fix this, R&R Piston Ring Set, Valve springs, and valve spring retainers. Since they are doing these repairs and are required to remove the front engine cover, they will replace the front engine seals at the same time eliminating the front engine oil leak I was told about. They will also install new spark plugs (I asked for this) at no cost to me.

I gave him the GO-AHEAD to do the repairs.

Road Rage, I guess the only question I didn't ask you is what I should expect long term once these repairs are done?? Will this continue to be an on-going problem every few couple of years, or as i was told by the Advisor that per Lexus they are confident this major repair will eliminate these symptoms and prevent future issues? I don't mind dropping $500 now if I can get a few more years out of this car!

Last edited by silva1181; 03-06-12 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-07-12, 04:04 PM
Road Rage
Driver

Thumbs up

That's good news. I do not know how this will go long term. All of us at the shop have been trying to figure out what the change is as we've gotten out micrometers and measured pistons, etc. My educated guess is there's a change in ring design but since we don't have a set of original, unused rings we can't fairly compare as used rings are too worn to compare. The rings coming out always seem caked up more than normal. This is why I suspect the original rings.
Old 03-07-12, 04:15 PM
Road Rage
Driver

Originally Posted by xyerua
Road Rage, thank you for your expert opinions in this thread. Do you have a feel for how common the piston ring issue is? Or any way to determine the likelihood of its occurrence. I have a 06 GS300 with 52000 miles. Purchased a month ago. I don't believe I have any trouble at present, but now I'm concerned about the eventuality a year or two down the road. I tried to get a handle on potential problems with this model before purchase but, regrettably, I missed this one.

To the OP and others with this issue I wish you the best of luck. It would be very dissapointing if a maker with Lexus' reputation did not resolve this to your satisfaction.
My wife's car is a 2006 GS 300 RWD purchased new from the showroom floor. I did not work for Lexus yet and did not know about this problem, obviously. It started to show up in 2009. Currently ours has 105,000 miles on it and runs so quietly you'd think it's shut off. Being a mechanic I take care of all the vehicles in my household very well. This car has ONLY ever had Premium gas, ONLY had Mobil 1 Full Synthetic oil since day 1, and every time I drive it I floor it hard to blow out any loose carbon deposits in the cylinders, that would be that little dark cloud you see in the rear view mirror when you romp on it. Plugs changed once and air filters changed regularly. I see models with high mileage come in and also don't have any signs of this. I'm sure they didn't take the precautions I have so I don't know if it makes a difference or not. I figure I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Bottom line is it seems to be random. I can tell you that if your tailpipes are more sooty than say a 2007 model then chances are you will have to deal with this. There are sooty tailpipes and there are SOOTY tailpipes, almost like the ones on the old Volvo diesel's, really black and everything close by also turning dark.
Old 03-07-12, 06:44 PM
silva1181
Pit Crew

Thanks again Road Rage. I can't wait to get my car back which I hope will be in the next day or two.
Old 03-08-12, 07:43 AM
little2576
Pit Crew

Default burning oil

I just called my local lexus dealer & they told they would start an oil consumption test only if i get my 70k service done (keep in mind im at 69k right now) so in a nutshell they want me to pay $135 for an oil change & thats the only way they will do the oil consumption test ?

i know i need to get this done but i can do this my self for about $40 in parts/oil it just doesnt make any sense to me to give them an extra $100 for this

I wonder would they give me a hard time if i went to toyota for my 70k service ? Which is prob closer to $60-$70 for the same service

i just think that me getting my 70k service to get an oil consumption test is BS especially if im not technically at 70k (IMO its like them saying oh throw me an extra $100 bucks & ill do the test)
Old 03-08-12, 07:44 AM
little2576
Pit Crew

Default burning oil

I just called my local lexus dealer & they told they would start an oil consumption test only if i get my 70k service done (keep in mind im at 69k right now) so in a nutshell they want me to pay $135 for an oil change & thats the only way they will do the oil consumption test ?

i know i need to get the 70k done but i can do this my self for about $40 in parts/oil it just doesnt make any sense to me to give them an extra $100 for this

I wonder would they give me a hard time if i went to toyota for my 70k service ? Which is prob closer to $60-$70 for the same service

i just think that me getting my 70k service to get an oil consumption test is BS especially if im not technically at 70k (IMO its like them saying oh throw me an extra $100 bucks & ill do the test)
Old 03-08-12, 08:53 AM
xyerua
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again Road Rage. Now I'm curious about the soot. I will check that. I actually have the car at the dealer for something unrelated. My wife took it in and mentioned the oil burning issue. The service guy had heard of the problem, but seemed to think it was very rare and guessed it might affect 1 in 100 vehicles. Hard to gauge that but I would bet the occurrence is higher. She asked what he thought Lexus would do if we see it a couple years from now. His response was if we continued to have it maintained by Lexus it would be taken care of guaranteed. Can we get that in writing? Answer is no. Hmmm.

little2576, if I was you I would have the 70K (and all future) service done at Lexus and let them start the oil consumption test. If it's determined you don't currently have a problem, a Lexus service history may be critical to getting any help later.

Last edited by xyerua; 03-08-12 at 09:06 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rough idle and burning oil