GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

When to change transmission fluid??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-12, 01:53 AM
Drzava
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by knshro13
you have a 3rd gen gs? having the fluid changed twice before hitting 100k miles is strange.
unless you are referring to a 2nd or even 1st gen.
Yes, 3rd gen (A960E box). I'm in Europe but the ATF recommendations are the same as the US - i.e. no official fluid change interval. Unusual to find one with the fluid changed (and this was one of the reasons I bought it) - but as it was an "official" Lexus Ireland car only serviced in their own workshop I guess they thought it was a good idea!

I have the tech manual procedure for changing fluid and strainer and it doesn't seem particularly complicated (more time consuming that anything really) - but I'm very wary of anything to do with auto boxes!
Old 03-19-12, 01:12 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Cause technically Lexus says this tranny fluid should last the car...... I doubt it I would change it at 100K

That statement is based on a 5yr ownership or lease.
Old 06-13-14, 10:48 PM
landcar
Driver School Candidate

All oil wears out I changed my 2005 GX470 trans oil at 60,000 miles and it was black when I drained it, so don't believe that hype about lifetime oil because it does not exist yet!
Old 06-13-14, 11:23 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

Wow that's amazing, I just got my car back from the 50k miles service, and they replaced by tranny and diff fluids. Could it be our climate?
Old 06-16-14, 04:01 PM
3ZERO3
Rookie

I performed a trans fluid exchange at 60K and yes I had Spark plugs done at the same time. I am definitely not one of those " if it isn't broken don't fix it" kind of guys. I've also done rear differential twice and coolant once. my car currently has 88,000 miles
Old 06-19-14, 05:46 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by knshro13
my friend who works for Lexus of Longo in So-cal said to just drain, measure how much came out, and refill +a little more.

i dont know if its that straight forward but when i read through all data, it had all these complicated steps.
Since my 460 only has 17k on it, I haven't had to do this yet, but I plan on doing it every 30k or so.
Old 07-04-14, 08:37 PM
bklynchris
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a '09 GS350 AWD. I drive quite a lot, and I had the same concerns as you. So at 100k miles I brought it to Lexus of Wilkes Barre for a tranny drain/fill and transmission filter change. So they essentially dropped the tranny pan to change the filter, then filled it back up with fresh fluid. I had the Service tech keep the used fluid and filter for me to inspect; the fluid was BLACK, but the filter was still clear, with no debris or particles in it. The magnets in the pan were also free of metal shavings or other warning signs. The car drove great afterwards- shifts were smooth and strong.
I just had them do another drain and fill when it reached 130k. This time they did not replace the filter, Once again, tranny fluid was dark (not black), no debris or metal shavings in the recovered fluid. Tranny shifts great.
Chang the fluid and filter at 100k. Think about it, you just drove the car for 90k miles without a thought or concern for the tranny. This small procedure will ensure your car continues to work flawlessly, giving you one less thing to worry about.

Best,
Chris
The following users liked this post:
Lx570jatt (02-10-20)
Old 01-28-15, 09:01 AM
gr8fulRed
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bklynchris
I have a '09 GS350 AWD. I drive quite a lot, and I had the same concerns as you. So at 100k miles I brought it to Lexus of Wilkes Barre for a tranny drain/fill and transmission filter change. So they essentially dropped the tranny pan to change the filter, then filled it back up with fresh fluid. I had the Service tech keep the used fluid and filter for me to inspect; the fluid was BLACK, but the filter was still clear, with no debris or particles in it. The magnets in the pan were also free of metal shavings or other warning signs. The car drove great afterwards- shifts were smooth and strong.
I just had them do another drain and fill when it reached 130k. This time they did not replace the filter, Once again, tranny fluid was dark (not black), no debris or metal shavings in the recovered fluid. Tranny shifts great.
Chang the fluid and filter at 100k. Think about it, you just drove the car for 90k miles without a thought or concern for the tranny. This small procedure will ensure your car continues to work flawlessly, giving you one less thing to worry about.

Best,
Chris

i like the idea of having the filter changed along with the fluid...which I have not seen a DIY of THAT step here yet for 3gen GS's. Seems your performance, etc has been great since the procedure done by Lexus. Do you recall approx what the dealer charged for that?? I would tackle a "drain and fill" procedure myself...but not sure I'd want to drop the pan and replace filter myself. Thanks
Old 01-30-15, 07:00 PM
S14eva1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bklynchris

Best,
Chris
How much did this service cost you?
Old 02-03-15, 08:17 PM
johnkol
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bayareaboy
So I looked through the recommended servicing schedule manual twice and could not find where it recommends to change the tranny fluid?? So when should I do this and at what mileage intervals? Thanks in advance!
As others have already mentioned, the GS has a sealed transmission that allegedly requires no fluid change for the life of the vehicle.

Here is a thread that shows how one can do it DIY.

Alternatively, you can take it to a Lexus or Toyota dealership that has a BG PF5 machine that can do a complete transmission flush.