Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - Third Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

When to change transmission fluid??

Old 02-13-12, 01:53 AM   #16
Drzava
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knshro13 View Post
you have a 3rd gen gs? having the fluid changed twice before hitting 100k miles is strange.
unless you are referring to a 2nd or even 1st gen.
Yes, 3rd gen (A960E box). I'm in Europe but the ATF recommendations are the same as the US - i.e. no official fluid change interval. Unusual to find one with the fluid changed (and this was one of the reasons I bought it) - but as it was an "official" Lexus Ireland car only serviced in their own workshop I guess they thought it was a good idea!

I have the tech manual procedure for changing fluid and strainer and it doesn't seem particularly complicated (more time consuming that anything really) - but I'm very wary of anything to do with auto boxes!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Drzava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-12, 01:12 PM   #17
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts
Trader Score: (1)

Send a message via AIM to B.Diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblack06 View Post
Cause technically Lexus says this tranny fluid should last the car...... I doubt it I would change it at 100K

That statement is based on a 5yr ownership or lease.
'93 JZA80 Supra
B.Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-14, 10:48 PM   #18
landcar
Driver School Candidate

All oil wears out I changed my 2005 GX470 trans oil at 60,000 miles and it was black when I drained it, so don't believe that hype about lifetime oil because it does not exist yet!
landcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-14, 11:23 PM   #19
designo
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (4)

Wow that's amazing, I just got my car back from the 50k miles service, and they replaced by tranny and diff fluids. Could it be our climate?

designo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-14, 04:01 PM   #20
3ZERO3
Rookie

I performed a trans fluid exchange at 60K and yes I had Spark plugs done at the same time. I am definitely not one of those " if it isn't broken don't fix it" kind of guys. I've also done rear differential twice and coolant once. my car currently has 88,000 miles
F-Sport Lowering springs, F-Sport Shocks, F-Sport Sway Bars, F-Sport 19in. Wheels, F-Sport Lug nuts, F-Sport Intake, F-Sport Floor Mats, F-Sport Shift Knob, F-Sport Key Case. Looking for F-Sport Exhaust and Engine cover.
3ZERO3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-14, 05:46 PM   #21
TRD_Power
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by knshro13 View Post
my friend who works for Lexus of Longo in So-cal said to just drain, measure how much came out, and refill +a little more.

i dont know if its that straight forward but when i read through all data, it had all these complicated steps.
Since my 460 only has 17k on it, I haven't had to do this yet, but I plan on doing it every 30k or so.

-1995 SC400 R.I.P.
-2008 GS460
TRD_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-14, 08:37 PM   #22
bklynchris
Rookie

I have a '09 GS350 AWD. I drive quite a lot, and I had the same concerns as you. So at 100k miles I brought it to Lexus of Wilkes Barre for a tranny drain/fill and transmission filter change. So they essentially dropped the tranny pan to change the filter, then filled it back up with fresh fluid. I had the Service tech keep the used fluid and filter for me to inspect; the fluid was BLACK, but the filter was still clear, with no debris or particles in it. The magnets in the pan were also free of metal shavings or other warning signs. The car drove great afterwards- shifts were smooth and strong.
I just had them do another drain and fill when it reached 130k. This time they did not replace the filter, Once again, tranny fluid was dark (not black), no debris or metal shavings in the recovered fluid. Tranny shifts great.
Chang the fluid and filter at 100k. Think about it, you just drove the car for 90k miles without a thought or concern for the tranny. This small procedure will ensure your car continues to work flawlessly, giving you one less thing to worry about.

Best,
Chris
bklynchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-14, 08:37 PM

Tags
2006, 350, 430, 450, change, check, fluid, gs, gs300, gx470, hybrid, lexus, service, tranny, transmission