GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Retractable License Plates - Auto/Manual (Altec vs Autosport vs Swift Motorsports)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-12, 02:03 AM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wrong :P haha I was at Pitt Meadows, cops here are really cool if you ask me. Btw I just noticed that you also have a black GSh, it is my first car (also first in black), and man is this thing hard to keep looking shinny. Not to mention the swirl marks :/ I just finished a 4 hour detiail and noticed a bunch of light scratches + swirls marks, and one huge scratch about 20 inches long (looks like the car was keyed), I can feel the scratch but my finger nail doesn't get caught in it. I am thinking on doing a full detail soon, do you happen to know if 2007 Black GS has a Single stage paint or has a clear coat? I can't find info anywhere about it, and I'm kind of scared to polish it.
Old 02-12-12, 05:10 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TCKeyz
Wrong :P haha I was at Pitt Meadows, cops here are really cool if you ask me. Btw I just noticed that you also have a black GSh, it is my first car (also first in black), and man is this thing hard to keep looking shinny. Not to mention the swirl marks :/ I just finished a 4 hour detiail and noticed a bunch of light scratches + swirls marks, and one huge scratch about 20 inches long (looks like the car was keyed), I can feel the scratch but my finger nail doesn't get caught in it. I am thinking on doing a full detail soon, do you happen to know if 2007 Black GS has a Single stage paint or has a clear coat? I can't find info anywhere about it, and I'm kind of scared to polish it.
i would say black is one of the hardest color to maintain; swirl marks are a given due to lexus paint being soft. the best way to minimize swirl marks/light scratches is to use the 2 bucket method - one bucket for soap, the 2nd bucket to "rinse" your wash mitt every time before you dunk into the 1st bucket for more soap. it's a pain in the butt, but makes it less likely to get scratches.

make sure you don't go into richmond or north shore without your plate. the popo will pull you over faster than you can say "pitt meadows cops are cool"

as for detailing, check the detailing forum for answers as i'm sure someone there would know.
Old 02-12-12, 08:15 PM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

Thank you, I have already spent around 5 hours researching how to wash and detail cars. I use all the safe methods possible. I guess it's due to it being an Alberta car (very dusty, car gets dirty after driving for 5 minutes). I think I will just bring it to a detailer and let the pros do the work, then I will just maintain it as best as I can.
Old 04-01-12, 11:50 PM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

I forgot to post the results, well here it is with a video

Sorry about all the rock chips on my bumper, it will be repainted later this year
Old 04-02-12, 06:18 AM
Slamking18
Driver

I forgot to post the results, well here it is with a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HYV5IAVWcg

Sorry about all the rock chips on my bumper, it will be repainted later this year
When I try to play the vid, it gives me a message that the video is private... Try reducing the security settings for this video...
Old 04-02-12, 12:03 PM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

I changed it, let me know if it works!
Old 04-02-12, 01:02 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

i've seen TCKeyz's licence plate holder in person. it's functional and works well. my only caveat is that if you plan on slamming your GS, this might not be the best solution - if you're lowered and scrape on an incline, the plate/plate holder will take the brunt of it.
Old 04-02-12, 02:32 PM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

Stormforge is absolutely correct, on stock height there will be 100% no problem, no scraps even going into the driveway at high speed. But if you plan on lowering, I would suggest cutting a hole in the lower grill and fit the plate there, it will look more normal too with it being not so low.
Old 03-18-13, 12:05 AM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

So as many of you may know, my car was in an accident, and the plate was ruined. I'm going to purchase another set of retractable plate, but I'm thinking of going with the electric/auto version this time.

My question is, since I have the hybrid version (GS450h) with the battery in the trunk, does anyone know where I can wire the power into?

Thanks!
Old 03-19-13, 03:44 PM
onephatguy
Pole Position

Don't know how to wire it up, but thanks for an update. I find this plate holder interesting. I may look into purchasing one.
Old 03-19-13, 04:55 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

So as many of you may know, my car was in an accident, and the plate was ruined. I'm going to purchase another set of retractable plate, but I'm thinking of going with the electric/auto version this time.

My question is, since I have the hybrid version (GS450h) with the battery in the trunk, does anyone know where I can wire the power into?

Thanks!
terry, is your car fixed already? how did the repair turn out?
Old 03-19-13, 05:22 PM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stormforge
terry, is your car fixed already? how did the repair turn out?
Yes, it turned out great! Needed some new panels, repaint, wheels, suspension and a few other stuff, but the car drives just like it used to be. No. 1 collision did an amazing job (thanks for the suggestion withy he shop, very impressed! ). It just have some minor things that still needs to be fixed.

Also, seems like the back bumper was damaged from the tow truck, it may go in for a repaint also. Hopefully to see you and your GS at some meets soon!
Old 07-22-13, 05:52 PM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I need a manual retractable license plate bracket.
Anyone recommend a good place to get this from?